"Without Mathematics, there is no science." Is it true or false?

• Absolute true.
    60% (18)57% (17)58% (35)Vote
  • Maybe true.
    7% (2)13% (4)10% (6)Vote
  • Not sure.
    7% (2)7% (2)7% (4)Vote
  • Maybe false.
    10% (3)7% (2)8% (5)Vote
  • Absolute false.
    13% (4)13% (4)13% (8)Vote
  • Other idea.
    0% (0)0% (0)0% (0)Vote
  • See result.
    3% (1)3% (1)4% (2)Vote
And you are? I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0
5|11

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• It's like saying, "without language, there is no English". Mathematics IS the language of science and the universe as a whole. It's the way we can transform things into a tangible and understandable descriptions. Without math, science just doesn't have any substance.

1|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 4

• Without mathematics, this universe is not possible.

0|0
    0|0
  • how would you quantify results without a way to calculate them?

http://cleverlemon.me/

0|0
    0|0
  • not necessarily... sometimes observation is enough to contribute to science. other times, you need math.

0|0
    0|0
  • biology and animal behaviour doesn't need math

1|0
    1|3
    • Yes they do, take a biology course and tell me there's no math involved.

• Show All
    • Sorry - I'm agreeing with OP and @front2back.

• @front2back quantifying it to number does.

What Guys Said 10

• Physics is applied maths, chemistry is applied physics and biology is applied chemistry. Those are the three "main" sciences and they all derive from mathematics so...

Regardless it is true that without maths is becomes impossible to quantify which is a key aspect of science It also becomes near impossible to model many things- so in the very least science would not be what we understand it as now if it did still exist.

1|1
    0|0
  • It's hard to prove a hypothesis via the Scientific Method without quantifiable data you can run statistical analysis on and so on. So yes for the most part.

Even the"soft" social sciences like political science, psychology, etc. rely on quantitative methods for research.

1|0
    0|0
  • Bullshit. Math is man's attempt to quantify and understand science. Planets were spinning around their suns long before man and his math came along.

0|0
    0|0
  • I would say false as a lot of science is just observations. There is no math for symbiotic relationships or taxonomy. The same for remembering name of body parts in anatomy. There just observations with long names attached to them.

0|0
    0|0
    • Even for "observations", you need Mathematical methods to prove your sample is representative enough or not.

• Just see if it passes trails. If other scientist can do your experiment and get the same results you did something right.

• Math is used to quantify what is already in nature.
    Gravity rate of fall is 9.8 m/s^2. Math was needed to make that rate happen, but if we didn't find the rate, gravity would still make you fall.

0|0
    0|0
  • No science of any worth can be accomplished without it.

1|0
    0|0
  • Mathematics is a branch of Science!

0|0
    0|0
  • math is part of everything, its not a fun part of everything but its still a part :/

0|0
    0|0
  • It's true but not absolutely. There would still be science but it would be a lot more theoretical. For example people would still discover gravity and study it but we wouldn't know that it's 9.8m/s^2

0|0
    0|0
  • Without mathematics, school would be less shit! lmfao

0|0
    0|0