Who really wins a street fight: An expert Boxer or an expert martial artist/grappler?

• Boxer
  • Mixed martial artist
  • Whoever gets the first strike/momentum

Most Helpful Guy

• A guy who uses Boxing alone vs a guy who uses Martial Arts, either this MMA stuff or Traditional won't win, boxing by itself is at a massive disadvantage, against martial arts because martial arts truly uses the entire body as a weapon.

Now don't get me wrong Boxing is a very powerful fighting style a Boxers ability to punch with power is almost unmatched, but they are at a massive disadvantage agaisnt a Martial artist simply because Martial Artists use everything on the body as an advantage we even have ranges for our attacks, long, medium and close range.

Long Range, is were we simply just kick at you and use our legs.
    Medium Range is a mix of kicks and punches, open and closed hand techniques with some longer range grapples and take downs.
    Close Range is a mix of punches, and elbow, knee, palm strikes and both open and closed hand techniques as well as grapples and take downs.

You have that vs Boxing which is really a mix of close and medium range with just a variety of punches of varying power and speed.

Longer rang punches like jabs and shorter range punches like crosses, and power punches such as hooks and uppercuts.

In the end though it is possible for the Boxer to win but the odds are not going to in his favor at all, it all amounts to their own abilities and individual skill as well as the environment around them, but as I said not likely the Boxer would win.

Source: Trained in and still train in.
    Boxing
    Jeet Kune Do
    Traditional Karate
    Goju Ryu
    Niten Ichi Ryu
    Filipino Eskrima
    As well as supplementary techniques from a variety of styles not mentioned.

What Girls Said 2

• I'd say MMA. They're gonna be more versatile in their arsenal of attacks and boxers seem like they'd be at a disadvantage cuz they really only use their fists and upper body parts.
    Is this like... some kinda reference to Donnie Yen vs Mike Tyson's upcoming fight tho? Cuz now that's all I can think about. *_* Ip Man 3. Bruh.

• Mixed martial artist.
    When it comes to the detalils... Grapplers usually have the advantage in one on one combat, but if there are multiple opponents, boxer would stand more chance, unless MMA fighter is an expert in striking (punching, kicking, headbutting, elbowing).

What Guys Said 18

• A mixed martial artist will always win over a boxer because they have a much better ability to adapt. If you want to be able to fight you need to know how to grapple because every real fight is going to end up on the floor at some point.

• I actually saw a street fight once between a boxer, and my friend who's a MMA fighter. It was at a bar of course, and both of them seemed quite sober, but their tempers had gotten the best of them. One thing lead to another, and they began to fight. Within about 30 seconds into the fight. My friend round housed the boxer, hooked his leg around the boxers knees, took him down to the ground, and got him in a choke hold. The boxer never even stood a chance.

I never knew the guy was a boxer that night, but apparently he's friends with one of my other friends, and said he used to be a pro-boxer.

• OK let me clear this up, because I studied Tae kwon do and kickboxing for a few years when I was younger, and was taught under some VERY skilled people. 5th and 8th dans respectively.

In short, the MMA fighter would win, OR someone who has been trained in a martial art that is designed purely for use in real world situations like Krav Maga.
    This is because elements are taken from other martial arts, that are most effective at striking and counter attacking, (and defending) and they have good all round knowledge of several disciplines.

Even a highly skilled boxer would not know how to react if you used a muay thai move to disable them, then a ju-jitsu move to either counter a punch, or restain them on the floor.

Dont get me wrong, it would be foolish for anyone to pick a fight with a boxer, they would still win an average street fight by miles, their reaction times, strength and speed are far beyond anyone untrained, but sticking to one discipline is fairly limiting if you want to use it against real threats, rather than for show, grading, or competitions against others in that particular style.

• That doesn't matter.

The man who's gonna win, is the man who can withstand the most pain without falling.

• Watch UFC fights. You get martial artists taking on boxers. I would say the martial artist /grappler would win cause if they can dodge then they're ok and all they have to do is grab the opponent and its game over for the boxer. But then i can see it going two ways for the martial artist

This

http://fat.gfycat.com/EarlyFarawayChipmunk.gif

Or this
    www.gifbin.com/.../...7999_acrobatic_kick_fail.gif

• In the very beggining of the UFC, they would mix it up purely.

But now, even if a fighter;s main skill is boxing, they will still teach him basic grappling skills or try to.

Its all mixed martial arts now.

• depends entirely on the fighter, not their art.

• Lets say both are masters in their skill set

The boxer would have a very very good chance however the ancient martial arts techniques were used during war and desgined to kill, using the weaknesses of the human body

The martial arts master would have an advantage as they would probably know how to disengage the boxer, but if the boxer lands a few good solid blows - humans could die from a boxer's punch

If you mean Grapplers as in ufc, there was a documentary that the ufc figthter would win... but the again imagine mike tyson with no gloves coming at you in his prime

• As someone who used to box and a friend who does MMA once the boxer is in a grapple isn't basically over and once we hit the ground we are lost. If a boxer can stick and move he might have a shot but the MMA person can grabble and isn't just a striker I don't see how he can lose.

• Who would win, someone trained in 1 martial art or someone trained in mixed martial arts? Hmm... Thats a tough one.

• Oh shit I didn't read it was a street fight. In a street fight basically whoever is in the mindset of doing more damage wins. Basically whoever takes most advantage of eye gouging, groin hits, and back of the head has the highest chances. If you're in a street fight and are in the mindset of "respecting" your opponent or fighting fair you already lost. Not to mention a fucking idiot. Someone is attacking you and you're being nice to them...

• The one who knows to make a better use of his techniques. No matter how much you train you won't win if you don't know how to use your techniques at the right time and at the right situation. I can say that martial artists have a better chance. I have done both and in martial arts you use most of your body something I haven't seen in boxing so much.

• Depends on how perfect they are in their skills

• Boxers are trained for a sport, not general fighting.

• martial artist, because its martial arts. they know the pressure points to hit when disabling the opponent.

• The boxer 💁🏻

• The boxer has to, avoid takedowns. Easier said than done.

• I would say the boxer would lose to anyone who is skilled in some other fighting tactic

• The person who attacks their enemy with a Swift groin attack. Can work on Male or Female.

• Could be either, provided 'expert' means 'used to sparring full contact and continuously'.

In an MMA match, jujitsu is going to beat anyone who doesn't know it, all other things being equal. Which doesn't mean the best jujitsu fighter wins, but if A is a jujitsu expert, and B is pretty good at jujitsu and also wrestles well and can hit hard, B might well win.

In this case though there are some complications.

Going to ground is not as desireable in a street fight. The ground is a lot less forgiving, and you also can't get away. You'd rather hit someone and maintain distance.

If someone who is a full contact fighter knows the other fighter is a boxer, they might have the advantage if they're both experts, they'd know to defend the hands while using sweeps etc.

They don't actually know this though. SO they may also think a hand strike is safest, and in this case, the boxer, who focuses 100% on hands, may land first, and hard.

I'd give the edge to someone who regularly fought full contact something else, but...

In any case, this is a pretty unrealistic scenario. In almost every realistic scenario, the person who wins is the one who is better at their art, bigger and stronger. The odds of someone losing a street fight because of the particular matching of skills in their fighting arts is astronomically low.