Think about it. When you listen to music, do you like the artist's voice or the type of songs that they sing?

My favorite artist is Ed Sheeran. Thinking about it, he does have a good voice, but I prefer the the type of music that he sings over his voice.

Conversely, I love Beyoncé's voice, but I don't love her songs.

Think about your favorite artists. Is it their voice that you love, the type of songs that they sing, or a little bit of both?

• I love their voices
  • I love their style of music and the lyrics
  • It's a mixture of both
  • None of these?

Most Helpful Girl

• I love Justin Timberlake's voice and the type of song he sings. Whereas, I do not like Macklemore's voice that much but love the deep meaning behind his lyrics.

Most Helpful Guy

• Both. My favorite singer is Sam Smith, and my favorite group is Pentatonix.

• Ah yeah I love Sam Smiths voice and genre. It all just depends on *who* your favorite artists are and your taste.

• I happen to have a very broad range of favorite artists and genres haha

What Girls Said 5

• Mixture of voice and the music.
    Lyrics don't really matter much to me, it's really just a bonus. For instance, I'll listen to foreign songs, memorize their lyrics - but not really know what they mean - purely because I like the beat, or melody, how it sounds and how much fun I have singing it.
    There's also a sort of nostalgia? factor. Like if the song can remind me of something else (video game, movie, anime, etc.) then I'll be even more attached to that song. That's why I have such a love for OSTs from videogames and anime.

• I prefer the melody

• Its a mixture of both

• i think it's a mixture of both, which is why covers can be really popular.

• Id say about an even 50/50...

What Guys Said 4

• Well, I listen to metal mostly, so I like the instrumentation, usually the lyrics, and the voice often adds character because it's just another instrument (or the voice just sounds good).
    Like, Ozzy Osbourne doesn't really have a "good" voice per se, but it fits well with Black Sabbath and his solo band, so...

Usually I like the music and rhythm of songs and that's what makes me like them a lot. Not the lyrics much.

• I tend to like artists for the songs they create. Their voices matter to a degree yes, but I actually like quite a few singers that don't have like a "superstar" singer's voice... They just have a sound and a personality that resonates with me I guess. There's something about them that I can identify with...

• Very well put. I completely agree. I wish I could give multiple MHO's lol

• As long as there is SOMETHING I can enjoy out of a song then I'll like it. Something that I personally like.

• depends who. i like some songs without singing in it

help settle the debate once and for all... are hot dogs sandwiches?
    www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q1766294-let-s-settle-the-biggest-philosophical-debate-of-the-year-is-a-hot