Are you happy with your name and you secretly wish it was something else?

Personally, I'm ok with my name but certain times I imagine what it would be like if it were something else. My father is one of those ''passing the family name'' type of guy. My name is his mother's first name.

If I had a child, I wouldn't give them my name nor my parents' name because to me they're someone new. They're never be me nor my parents. I get more impressed when someone is creative than when someone is just giving family names.

• Yes, it's perfect
  • I secretly wish it was something else
At least it's not my common as Maria, Rosa, or Mary. That would have been very dull.
as common as

Most Helpful Guy

• My name is fairly common. When I was in the fourth grade there was 4 kids with the same name as me, and we all spelled it differently.

Jeremy
    Jeramy
    Jeremi
    Jeramie

It was so annoying. But I don't know what other name would fit me

Most Helpful Girl

• I like it, it's Sarra, the Tunisian version of Sarah/Sara lol, but the only problem is that growing up I always had to explain to my teachers why I write it with 2 R's x)

What Guys Said 27

• Back when I was a teenager, I seriously contemplated to switch to my middle name because I liked it much better than my first name. After a year of thinking about it and mildly trying to switch to it, my mom eventually talked me through it and explained that if I really, really wanted it, I was free to do it but that I should be aware of all the troubles that come with this. I would have had to tell all my friends and family members and class mates and teachers and relatives etc. that I'm now not called by my first name anymore but by my middle name. Probably I would even had to apply for a new passport to change my name in there. And I would have had to live with the fact that a lot of people (especially people who are close to me) would mess it up a lot and that it would take them perhaps several years until they could consistently call me by my "new" name.
    After this talk, I realized that the whole thing just seemed like way too much trouble to go through. I was very busy at school at that time and it seemed unnecessary to me to artificially create more stress for myself. So I dropped the idea and kept my old name.
    As I turned older and got into my 20s, I changed my mind about it and got to like my first name. The two reasons for this are that it is not very common and that - more importantly - it is one of the very few male names who actually sound good (in my opinion, 98% of boy names just sound boring and/or uptight).
    However, even I like my name nowadays, I certainly wouldn't pass it on to my children. I've never understood men who do that. I think it's a very strange idea. It seems rather pretentious to me (like that dad was totally in love with himself and thought he was so ultra awesome that his children definitely must also be called the same way). I think I'm too humble for that. I'm also not very big about family tradition, which is why I don't care much about passing on my last name (I'm actually considering taking my girlfriend's last name once we marry).
    I think altogether, my relationship to both my first and my last name is quite healthy: I'm fine with them and generally like them. But I'm also not obsessed with them. If given an alternative that I would like equally well, I could also change to that.

• Thank you for sharing your story. Yeah, I agree changing it would have been so much hassle. I also don't agree with passing your name or your parents'.

• I am not from the USA and my birth name is hard for people here to pronounce. I changed it to something easier. I like both names now.

• I like my name, it's a common name, there's not wrong with it. Better having a normal name than an odd one that will make people laugh or keep telling you to say again because they didn't understand.

• I was named after Paul McCartney. I hate "Paul" because it sounds like every one-syllable "ah" sound in the world, and I'm always looking up to see who called me.

And I don't give a shit about Paul McCartney.

Maybe something bad-ass, like Slade or Clint.

• Yes, it's perfect

• I'm content with it yes.

• Well My dad wanted to call me "colum" so Yeah I love being called Niall

• It's not a secret, everybody knows I hate my name and want to change it.

• I don't like it, not my first name, middle or last name...

• Heck no my names James.. it's a pretty sweet name.

• used to hate it, but it's me. and it's nobility in my culture, the people who used to mock me for it were most likely descended from scrunts and paupers, i'm not. :D

• wish it was more manly...

• It's no sexret, but yeah. I've considered changing it.

• I love my name.
    My name means;ONE WHO SETTLES.
    Whats the meaning of ur name.

• It means heaven and sky. It can be used in many versions: English, Italian, Latin, Polish, Scandinavian, and Spanish languages.

• Nice. Ur name sound nice and awsome

• I don't like my name... but I guess English version of my name would be much cooler.

• My first name is fine I guess. Not really a big fan of my last name though. Not because of the actual name, just the story and stuff behind how we got it and the like.

• Im happy with mine (Daniel). the girl I like isn't though. I told her I think its pretty and unique. if it isn't common and spelled or pronounced differently i think its unique

• My name is good, easy to say short, 1 syllable and 3 ways to spell it to make it a little complicated, lol

• After my dad and his, I am the third of my name. I like it. I plan to give my son my name if I am ever blessed with one. 🙂

"Robert M. Bowman the Fourth"
    In my opinion, RMB IV sounds a tad royal. haha 😄

• I wish I had an other name tbh but romanian names are boring in general so I suit myself with the one I have :/

• I wish mt name was DEEZ NUTS!

• It's a pretty common name and I'm okay with it.

• It's not perfect, but I'm okay with it.

• Just wish mine was spelled in Greek s because I like that pronunciation.

• LordZero is what I roll with these days.

• I wish my name was the almighty

• I wish my name was Ignacio and not some gringo name like Terrence.

• My name is not Terrence, it's James and I hates it. I long for a name like Ignacio or Alfonso. Something which screams "I am made for sex", James is just mediocre and it's shit.

• wow now one of my fav flirt partners and a guy i crushed on harder then you could ever know was named james.. i have known a couple james and remember them fondly.. werid names i could never spell right make you sound a bit odd to me.. the fact you want your name to scream sex... is odd and if so richard would be the name or randy.. good luck with your name game

• @aithe4ngel Haha well I am not going to change my name, but I do find it to be bland.

What Girls Said 20

• I mean... it's not PERFECT but I can't imagine what else I'd be called.

Alexandra: Helper and defender of mankind

So... basically I'm a bad ass bitch gonna be all tough and shit. :P

It highlights my aggressive side, but it's also like super professional and snooty too I guess so I could go either way with it.

• I asked a bunch of guys which name they liked out of a bunch cause I wanted an English name and the most popular opinion was Dinah - the one they all liked but if I change my name I might have a difficult time reconnecting with people I went to high school and University with.

• When I was younger I had wished my name was Samantha because I really liked the name. I like my name and I feel I'm the only one who has it spelled the way it is so I've come to embrace my uniqueness.

• If I passed down my mothers name I would probably give it as a middle name. I used to hate my name because it wasn't the average American name (it's foreign). I like it now. Sometimes having a generic name is cool because it makes it harder for people to find you. :P

• I mean... my name's Vagia. I got it from my grandmother, who passed away almost 8 years ago. Just thinking about it, gives me a ton shit of emotions that I'm not willing to show towards other people so I just have to suck it up. I've always wanted to change it.

• yeah, I get how you feel. It's never too late to change it. You can but it's a lot of process to it.

• I know and my parents would not happy about it, they have no idea. Once I'm out of this country, I'll go for it. :)

• My name is me. It's unique. But I'd be lying if I said I didn't ever want a different one. Something cool like Jemi Rae.

• Mine is Jade but I dislike it, there aren't many nicknames for it or cute ones if there is and I don't feel like a Jade, i feel as if I look like a different name, but I don't know what'd fit me.

• I am happy with mine.
    I used to dislike it but after hearing it from my loved ones, I started to like it a lot.

😊

• i freaking love my name.

• I wouldn't say my name is perfect, but I wouldn't change it either. I'm just okay with it. :)

• I have always loved my name. Gabrielle it suits me.

• My name is alright

• I don't like my name at all, but it is what it is.

• I do Carmen sound to god like to female like!

• I love my name!! ^v^ Wouldn't change it at all

• My name is 3 letters and every substitute etcher I have ever had cannot pronounce it. It's frustrating.

• I like my middle name, my first name is alright. I like my last name too.

• In English countries my name would be fine, but where i'm from nobody is named Jessica

• My name is actually a pretty long name but people just call me Sherlock.
    LOL

• My name is Silvia and I dislike it since I was a kid. It sounds like a plain name and to top it off has (in my opinion) a stupid meaning, "from the forest". I have twosisters, their names mean, "wisdom" and "wealth" and I am "from the forest". Every time someone calls my name I cringe lol