I want to learn either French or German but I can't decide?

I've always wanted to speak both of these lanauges but never got around to it. Obviously it would be impratical to learn two at the same time so has anyone got any ideas on how I could choose which one to learn? Also do you have any experiences with learning either of these lanuages or a completely separate lanuage?


0|0
2|4

Most Helpful Girl

  • Well, I see you're from the UK so you've probably got a good grasp on English which is a Germanic language, so German might be easier. I think German is also a more widely spoken language, so it might be more useful.

    0|0
    0|0
    • I'm not bothered about how widely spoken it is too be honest I've just got an interest in the languages and would love to be able to speak them

Most Helpful Guy

  • French has more utility. Something like 60% of Germans are capable of having a conversation in English (the remaining 40% are mostly old people that will die in 30 years) so looking into the future German isn't going to get you very far, since they speak English anyway. The French speak English too, but only around 30% of them claim to be able to have a conversation, plus its much more widespread then German and is spoken in parts of Africa as well where none of them can speak English, so you could do well there. Definitely go with French.

    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_language_in_Europe

    0|0
    0|0
    • I'm not bothered about how widely spoken it is too be honest I've just got an interest in the languages and would love to be able to speak them. Its more a love of the cultures than the utility aspect of it tbh

    • In that case go with German. I was suggesting French from a business perspective, as a way to enhance your resume, however if you are looking into the cultures I would definitely go with German since you have German culture (which in itself varies from North to South), as well as Austrian and Swiss culture which are very interesting, and it can get you around in the Netherlands as well since more then half of dutch claim to speak German (although the English problem arises again, in that almost all Dutch can speak English (pretty darn well too based off the Dutch people I have met), it kinda sucks that everyone is learning English, but you can work around it), anyway linguistically I think German is very fascinating as it is similar enough to English that I dont have to strain myself to understand it (like I do when trying to speak Japanese) , but at the same time it is a very interesting language. Go German if your in it for the history and/or culture.

What Girls Said 1

  • I took French classes in high school. I never took German so I cannot compare the two. If you are going anywhere in the future that might require you to learn either language, then learn that one :)

    0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 3

  • I speak both, hated learning french but my mother language is close to German so that made it easy for me lol

    0|0
    0|0
    • Why did you hate French and what is your mother tongue?

  • Why not both bro! xD

    0|0
    0|0
    • Well eventually I want to learn both but I'd rather learn to speak one well first then two poorly

    • Show All
    • Yeah I'm having a look now thanks

  • Maybe French then German later on if you still have the patience, I think French is used in more countries than German anyway

    0|0
    0|0
Loading...