Are "cheat days" good in a diet?

Do they help speeding up the metabolism?

• They're bad
  • They're good

Most Helpful Guy

• a cheat "meal" is beneficial to your overall weight loss goals, being that your body gets used to the healthy foods it is breaking down the longer you eat it, therefore it finds more efficient ways to break those foods down and save more energy in the process, thus burning less calories. Now when you throw in a cheat meal that is high in fat, sugar, empty carbs, greasy as fuck, it completely throws off your bodies "saving energy" process of breaking down foods because your cheat meal isn't routine, so it has to kick itself back into overdrive to break down the cheat meal, hence you have just reset your metabolism back to efficient energy burning methods.

Most Helpful Girl

• They're good in moderation.

A cheat meal is better. A cheat day can go overboard lol

On Halloween I had a cheat day. I went way too far overboard. Two doughnuts, 4 cookies, hot chocolate, poptarts... it was a bad time.

But oddly I woke up 3 lbs lighter the next day?

I've since returned to my normal weight though so that was a fluke haha

They're good - your body needs sweets every once in a while, but you have to keep control of yourself... unlike me.

What Guys Said 5

• Is key to maintain a good clean diet long term. I've been doing cheat meals for years. Keeps your sanity in check and motivated to be clean long term.

• i'm not sure but I eat all my garbage food right after my workout

• NO. NO CHEAT DAYS.

• They're bad. Metabolism is sped up by doing daily cardio not by having cheat days. Also you should not have cheat days just a cheat MEAL once a week, like say every Saturday night you go out to a restaurant and eat a nice dinner whatever you want.

• It depends how strict your diet is.

A cheat day is quite a bit.

If you're on a normal diet, a cheat day is too much.

If your'e on a fairly strict diet, a couple cheat meals a week might do no harm, and could help.

If you're on an extreme diet, a carbohydrate reload window once a week can help offset metabolic slowdowns.

What Girls Said 2

• They don't necessarily speed up the metabolism, but keeping fats in your diet does help your body learn to metabolize them, assuming you take proper care of yourself.

• as long as you don't have too many cheat days, they are beneficial.