Should I quit my job?

My mom got in a car accident today and I had to call into work. The car is completely totaled and it's a blessing that she made it out okay with minor injuries. I didn't know that when I called my employer, I just knew she was in an accident. I thought that this thing called compassion existed in most humans, but I guess not. I talked to my manager and all she told me is that she found someone to cover my shift today and that I have to trade shifts with the other person tomorrow. Not an inkling of concern, no "I hope she's alright", absolutely nothing. I've already been wanting to quit this job because the management is very hands-off and unprofessional. This is just the final straw I think. I just can't stand to work for someone who gives zero fucks about me, it's just insane to me that a person can be so impersonal and coldly stoic. Am I being overdramatic?

Everyone who says it's not management's job to care is completely right; caring about an employee is not part of their job description. Call me crazy though, but I just believe that there is (or should be) an ethical imperative to make sure your fellow human is okay, to show the least bit of concern for someone as a human being, not as an employee or what have you. I guess it's wrong of me to expect that much from people. Maybe in a perfect world...

Most Helpful Guy

• No your not being overly dramatic in my opinion. I went through much the same thing some years ago when my mom was rushed to the ER with a ruptured Colin. I received a call from my wife about it and the ER needed signed permission to do the emergency surgery and my boss refused to let me go to the Hospital to sign , I stewed on that for about ten minutes and blew my top at him. I walked up to him and said I'll be back later I have a family emergency, he stated you can't leave til your shift ends , so I tossed him my time badge and said my shift and job did just end. I went and signed the papers and I never went back to that job other than for my last check

Most Helpful Girl

• It's unfortunate that your manager would have no concern. I could see why there's no motivation to want to work there, not only for the lack of compassion, but just the unprofessionalism.

However, I think the best thing to do, in this situation, is to continue to work there UNTIL you find another job. So, my suggestion is to just put up with it for a little longer WHILE you actively look for another job. Then, once you have another job lined up, you should put in your two weeks notice/quit this job. I say this because it's always reassuring to know that you'll have some security (i. e. a job) or something to fall back on when you quit. If you quit without another job in line, it's uncertain when your next job/opportunity will present itself.

Now, I don't know what your financial situation is at the moment, so I don't know if you absolutely NEED this job. If you do, I suggest what I wrote above. If you don't need this job for financial security/to pay your bills/etc., then I suggest to quit without having another job lined up.

Hope this helps, and I hope your mom is doing well.

What Guys Said 9

• It's not management's job to be concerned about the personal lives of their employees. It is the employee's job to minimize the impact of their personal lives on management.

Their response sounds fine, your's sounds immature.

• So there shouldn't be any sort of compassion at all? I didn't say it was their job to care, I just thought a little bit of concern for your fellow human being was warranted. Sorry I'm too immature for you, but I'm 18 years old and still very much need my mother. Maybe you could stop being so callous towards me and have a little tact.

• You're completely right. It's nowhere in their job description. I give up. I'll just be a cynic now. I don't know why I expect so much humanity from humanity. I'm glad I now know that expecting someone to have a little compassion for another person makes me immature. Here I am thinking it makes me human... Good day sir.

• @Asker The thing is you're only reason for being there is to make the business money as far as management is considered. They aren't there to be your friends, and if replacing you with someone else would make them more money they will do that. Whether they show compassion comes down to management style, as happy employees are productive employees who are less likely to quit. But that doesn't get common unless the employees working under them have had a considerable investment in training or are hard to replace. Otherwise you shouldn't expect it.

• You are being overdramatic because your emotions are running high due to what happened.

You have an uphill battle finding an employer who will genuinely give a shit about you, and in the meantime, cutting off your nose to spite your face by quitting will just make things worse for you and you only.

• If you don't feel comfortable, keep working there and take time to find a new job. Leave your job when you have that new one already.

• Honestly the place I work at has shitty management too. The managers sit in their office majority of their shift, and tell the part-timers to work everything.

Just continue working, don't stop doing something just cause you had a set-back, but if you truly want to quit then go ahead.

Also, I hope your mom is well.

• If you don't feel respected at work then you are justified to quit, just make sure you have a plan ahead of time so that you know you'll get by. Sometimes we have to work for ingrates but only until something better comes along.

• thank modern engineering for keeping injuries minimal. cars are quite safe nowadays. they crash incredibly well, while protecting the occupant.

not a blessing.. just hard work and modern engineering.

• No, you're not being overdramatic at all. Quit, you're better off without that job or that manager.
    And I hope your mom is alright :)

• My advice is never quit a job until you have the next one. Because you never know how long it will take you to find that job write it out get the next job then leave.

• no, she's hung up on her own problems. But don't quit, find something else. Then quit.

What Girls Said 8

• I don't think you're being overdramatic at all. She could've said, "I'm sorry to hear that" or like you said, "I hope she's alright." That's just being polite. It takes less than a second and would not have killed her to say that. I've heard of similar instances and the employer said, "I'm sorry to hear that." Anyways, I don't wanna advise u to quit ur job unless u have something else lined up or u have a lot of money saved up. So my advice is to start looking for something else. if it becomes overbearing and starts affecting you then do what you think is best. Bottom line is u shouldn't have to stay there and suffer. I wish u and your mom all the best.

• I have been fed that same story about a dozen times in the past few years. Of those times, only once was it true. I have expressed my condolences and well wishes every single time. But I hold the staff accountable for their shifts. Management gets tired of hearing lies and excuses which is sad because every once in a while, it actually is true and there is an employee needing that emotional support.

If things are not going well for you at work already, then quit.

• I don't think she did anything wrong. Most managers, like 80% do not care about their employees AT ALL and just use them to make money. Nobody owes you anything. Did you feed them or raise them? Why should they care that your mother was in a car accident. What did you do for them. You are not obligated to care about others and ESPECIALLY you are not supposed to "care" about people you have a professional relationship with.

• I guess a manger has a lot of his plate but he is suppose to kind to other.

• You're being way overdramatic. She doesn't pay you to listen to your problems.

• I said nothing about her listening to my problems. Practice reading comprehension. All I wanted was a "hope she's alright". I wasn't expecting anything special besides that. Sounds like you think money is more important than caring for your fellow human. I pity your vacuous existence. But thanks for demonstrating that I shouldn't expect anything from anyone, because most humans are selfish, self-serving, and greedy.

• Because your opinion completely missed the mark and wasn't insightful at all. I don't need to be coddled, but there's a difference between being blatantly rude (like I perceive you to be) and being honest. Yes, I can agree that I don't need to up and quit because my manager didn't extend her sympathies to me. What I don't agree with is your dismissal of my "problems" like they don't matter. By saying "She doesn't pay you to listen to your problems", you assume that my goal was to sit on the phone with her all day and vent. I just thought it would have been polite for her to tell me she hopes my mom is okay. I just feel that it is common courtesy to say that to someone if something serious happens in their family. I don't think that's too much to expect from someone. But you seem to look at things in a very black and white manner without considering other factors so I don't expect you to agree with anything I just said.

• Yeah i think you're a fucking drama queen love.

• It's cold but professional. When you explained about the accident it told him she was find. I would of ask anyways, some people aren't compassionate but the manager doesn't have to be.

• I think you are being a tiny bit dramatic. If you don't like working there then look for another job and quit when you have one lined up but it really isn't their duty to care about your personal life. I don't think her response was inappropriate.

Glad to here that your mom is ok.

• You're right, it's not their duty to care. Everyone who says that is completely right; caring about an employee is not part of their job description. Call me crazy though, but I just believe that there is (or should be) an ethical imperative to make sure your fellow human is okay, to show the least bit of concern for someone as a human being, not as an employee or what have you. I guess it's wrong of me to expect that much from people. Maybe in a perfect world... Thanks for your concern.

• Not at al. Piss on her, quit!!