Is war part of the evolutionary process?

• Yes
    44% (7)60% (15)54% (22)Vote
  • No
    44% (7)36% (9)39% (16)Vote
  • Neither
    12% (2)4% (1)7% (3)Vote
And you are? I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0
1|16

Most Helpful Guy

• yes...

"War" happens between a lot of species. Plants conduct warfare on each other and in some cases plants even conduct chemical warfare. some plants produce chemicals that will stop competitors from growing. for example, some seaweeds produce chemicals that stop snails from eating them.

chimpanzees will wage war on neighboring troops to take control of beneficial territories.

ants will send out raiding parties to neutralize rival insects such as termites.

Everything within the natural world is in a constant state of war... trying to out compete rivals around it. evolution is directly influenced by competition or "war" as we humans call it.

1|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 15

• It is. Essentially, earlier humans fought against each other in local tribes then that morphed into regions of a country. Then, that morphed to country fighting other countries and empires fighting other empires. The only way the world would unite is if aliens invaded Earth. This can be illustrated by President Reagan,
    "I occasionally think how quickly our differences, worldwide, would vanish if we were facing an alien threat from outside this world"

1|0
    0|0
  • Anything that kills of humans is part of Evolution, Its all about survival of the fittest.

Look at it like this, Let imagine a city is under siege

In this example, Lets take two people from that city, Guy A and Guy B.

Guy A was born with more muscle mass, A greater metabolism and was fitter.

With limited amount of food, Guy A is able to get more nutrients then Guy B, And thus suffers less from Starvation.

Guy B eventually starves to death.

And when the siege is lifted, Guy A remains, And him being the stronger individual, Can now pass on his Genes to his children, Whereas guy B cannot.

Now, After the siege, And a new generation of children are born, On average, Those children are probably healthier then the generation before the siege (As all the weaker individuals and their... ''poor genes'' died out.

Thats how evolution works. Like i said, Survival of the fittest.

1|0
    0|1
  • Competition and conflict are.
    Was is just how "civilised" cultures (any society with enough individuals willing to risk themselves for the whole) strive to improve their lot in life.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes, even some animal species engage in acts of "war" between different groups of their own species for territory, pride etc. Basically the same things we humans go to war over. Now, obviously us humans have evolved warfare as we as humans have evolved. It is an innate nature of humans to form groups for survival and identify strongly by that group and to defend it from other groups.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes. Conflict always happens, and considering that wars and violence have occurred since the stone age I'd call it a part of human nature. Even if you look at isolated civilizations like the Aztecs or native americans, they had wars and tribal conflicts. Egypt, Babylon, Assryia, Hittites, there really isn't any powerful kingdom that emerged that didn't wage war.

1|0
    0|0
    • In the beginning, war was just people raiding others in group, instead of doing each his own robbery.
      It didn't change much.

• It's part of the instinct-based evolution; just like how all animals fight for territory. Although just because it's natural evolution doesn't mean we should follow it. Mass homicide doesn't seem like a very smart thing to do.

1|0
    0|0
  • no. it's not about survival of the fittest, but differences in ideologies, political and geographical gains. is it considered evolution if i kill my neighbor to get $30 he stole from me yesterday?

0|0
    1|0
  • i made this argument concerning evolution vs creation: gonna be pretty damned hard to evolve something that ain't even there.

1|0
    0|0
  • I'm not sure about evolutionary process, but it is something that we should NOT be engaging in.

1|0
    0|0
  • Well, all i know is that even other primates have been observed engaging in war.

1|0
    0|0
  • Not necessarily. It can be, although evolution is just about passing your genes on. So fighting in a war could reduce the changes of passing your genes on. It could also act as a selection pressure though.

0|0
    0|0
  • "War is next to godliness" someone smart

0|0
    0|0
  • Well, animals don't have wars. So it's not really evolution.

0|0
    0|0
  • Everything that can cause you not to reproduce is part of the evolutionary process, everything.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not necessarily at this point. The worlds rich and powerful have interbred and weakened their genes. Mostly white rich European will have weaker genes than mixed populations. They start wars. The rich have always started wars regardless of if the war os over money, religion, land and or power. The rich happen to be lucky right now as we are at the most civilized as we have ever been as a society.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 1

• No. Humans are the only species that would do something so stupid. War is man made.

1|0
    1|0
    • not true. chimpanzees often seek out rival troops and wage war on them in order to take their territories. Even some insects such as ants will send out raiding parties to take rival mounds.

Evolution is directly driven by conflict. whether it be interactions such as predator-prey or through competition by 2 predators.

"war" is universal and most species which form colonies will try to over run its competitors. even plants wage warfare and try to out do other plant species.

• But humans don't just go to war to expand their territory. There are a million complex reasons. And nowadays with nuclear warfare, nobody wins at all. We could potentially wipe out our entire race.

• very true, and i agree with you, but war has existed long before humans, and will continue to exist long after we are gone.

Mass extinction is also a recurring process and we'll get our just deserts one day.

but yeah, i agree