Did Mary in the bible really have a virgin birth?

Seems like saying she had a virgin birth would be like saying the women who have been getting artificial insemination have all been having virgin births. So Christians, maybe the bronze age peasants didn't have a concept of cells and didn't understand anything so they called it a virgin birth when it was a really an artificial insemination by God. But artificial insemination doesn't sound as holy as virgin birth does it?

Most Helpful Girl

• I really wouldn't know... My mom says that yes she was a virgin but i always thought she got screwed but hey thats me.

• Yeah i mean what's more reasonable--that a Jewish girl told a fib or that she was able to have a child without any male DNA?

• lol right! hahaha!

Most Helpful Guy

• Obviously not.

I'm pretty sure they made Mary a virgin to deal with a few contradictions involving adultery. Mary had to be sin-free, so she had to get pregnant without sex so that it wouldn't imply adulterous relations while she was married to Joseph.

• wouldn't saying she got raped be sin free since it wasn't her fault? I think the prevailing theory is that it was a roman solider who took advantage of her.

What Girls Said 1

• Miracle happens everyday.

• like what?

• you mean coincidences and the normal operation of society?

• Haha :p

What Guys Said 5

• The Greeks translated most of what Christians refer to as the "Old Testament". The Aramaic word for the description of Mary was twofold. The first definition is a young, virgin girl, the second is just a young girl/

I'm not sure which Greek in particular we have to thank for their choice of definitions have they turned 2100 years of Western intellectual theology history into a fairytale

• yeah I think that translation sounded better for the catholic church's political goals and so they took the more favorable translation.

• Or she was raped by a Roman soldier and used God as an excuse to prevent people from judging her which is a popular theory.

• what makes you think anyone here has any credentials to answer?

• I'm sure there are historians, plus the internet has quite a bit of information from people who do have credentials. ALso Christians have credentials to answer since presumably they read their bible.

• It's like how midichlorians have the capability of creating life. And how Anakins mom was impregnated in starwars!

• Bible is a fucking joke. Don't bother with it.