How do you approach a doctor about having depression?

I know I need help but I don't know how to go about it, I literally think myself into a bad\depressed mood and then end up self-harming, this has gotten to the point that I'm worried about my health as I think I'll end up in hospital if I dont do something soon...

Most Helpful Guy

• A doctor keeps everything confidential, so telling a doctor that you think your depressed is like telling your mirror image in the bathroom. there's loads of help they can offer you and regardless of your problem, you will be helped and never judged, x

• Yeh I know I should go but I'm kinda scared of what they will say :(

• Okay, thank you

• Your welcome and I hope things get better for you soon. x

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm a medical student almost a doctor... I know it isn't easy to open up to someone about such serious issues, but I assure you, a doctor's primary purpose is to help your health. It's all about you. Any and all details you share can help your doctor help you. If you don't know how to bring it up, just start with scheduling an appointment and see what happens. Go into it saying you are worried about your mental wellbeing and describe what you're going through. Help your doctor understand how you are feeling. It's okay to break down and cry. It's okay to let it out and be honest with all the details even if they aren't pretty or honorable. A doctor isn't there to judge you and can help you feel good again. Be good to yourself and find courage to set up an appointment without hesitation. The moment you are worrying about your own health like that is the moment you know it's time to ask for help. Hang in there, much love to you <3

• Omg thank you so much, that really helps. Especially since your in the medical field, I need to make an appointment without telling my mum, do u think that's okay? I'm 15 by the way x

• I'm so relieved and proud of you for going ahead and talking to the doctor. Not everyone finds the courage to do that. Now that they know what's wrong, they can help you feel better. I know it's hard letting parents know... a doctor has to decide what to do based on interviewing you and if there's danger involved, but remember this always... your parents brought you into this world and would do everything to protect you. <3 I wish you the best in your healing.

• Thank you, you'll make a really good doctor. 💕

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 1

• Do you have a GP? You should phone them and ask if you can book an appointment to speak to someone about your depression. They'll probably see you for a session and then refer you to a specialist. If you don't have a GP, I see you're under 18 and therefore likely to have access to some kind of education system, where you're able to speak to a counsellor or a nurse who will probably be able to sort out all the details for you.