Has anyone used the TextNow app before? Can police trace the TextNow number to your real phone number?

Ok so please do not judge me for what I am about to say because I know it seems incredibly childish especially for my friend and I both being 25 years old. My best friend's boyfriend recently broke up with her and we found out he's been cheating with this 18 year old and now they're taking their relationship pretty public. My best friend is obviously devastated and I'm disgusted by her ex, who we all knew and loved and never expected this in one million years. One night, we were having a girls night drinking wine and gossipping. We decided to download the TextNow App (which we've never used before) and text the girl. We didn't tell her who we were, we remained anonymous the whole time, and we were telling her that if a guy would cheat on someone with her, he'll definitely do it again and cheat on her. I know we shouldn't have done it it's extremely immature at our age but it was a big group of us and we had been drinking and we were all trying to make our friend feel better. We didn't talk to the girl long, only a few minutes, then we stopped, and deleted the TextNowaccount and released the phone number. She said she was going to go to the cops if we didn't tell her who it was but we didn't plan on harrassing her we just told her to be careful of the guy that's pretty much it. Can police trace the TextNow number to the phone that we used? If anyone's used this app before or has any experience with it, please let me know. Thank you.

Most Helpful Guy

• You two are losers

• ok, doesn't answer my question. but thanks. was wondering if anyone had experience with this app.

• Yeah they do which makes it even worse

• could you elaborate?

Most Helpful Girl

• Am I missing something here?

Go to the cops over what? Text messages via some app from some drunk chicks?

Does this app have some sort of notoriety I'm not aware of?

Sorry, this entire post is confusing. So you messaged this girl via an app that hid your number/identity and warned her about the scummy guy she's with. How does the police come into this? Where is the alleged bad things people are putting you down for?

Petty and sad, sure. But nothing to warrant an uproar. 😒

• thank you I appreciate your response. Yes what we did was petty and immature no doubt about that. She said she was going to call the cops because we were "harassing her and her personal life is none of her business" but I just wasn't sure if the cops would even take her request seriously and actually do something about it. that's my main concern. I don't feel we did anything "illegal" or that worthy of the police actually looking into it. my main question is would they actually look into and it is it possible that they could trace it back to us.

• Pfft, doubt it. If they did, they'd probably fine them for wasting police time with their drama.

• thank you very much I appreciate your response!

What Guys Said 1

• I have never heard of that app.
    But as you will/should know be now the world's government agency's watch this site.
    So you will soon now if law enforcement officials care or not.

What Girls Said 1

• ...

I hope they find you and I'm more than sure they will. There's no excuse for your behavior.

• our behavior? we weren't harassing her in the slightest. was asking if anyone has had experience with this app cause it wasn't anything I'd ever heard of up until one of the girls mentioned it. so thanks.

• I'm not saying we were wrong. I wasn't asking for an opinion on our behavior. I was asking if anyone has used the app before. Thank you.

• The awesome thing about gag is that it's an open forum. We can answer whatever part of the question we want. I still hope she reports you and I still hope they find you.