Is hispanic same as spanish?

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't think so because Spanish is a language and hispanic is a group of people.

Most Helpful Guy

• Wow. .. just wow reading the answers.

Ok to make this short I'll explain only 1 but most people don't know the difference between Hispanic, Latino, nationality and race.

Hispanic originates from Spain. So Spain is the origin and maintains being Hispanic by definition. They began historically as a small tribe existing in central Spain that expanded abs became the dominant culture of the land amongst others. They inherited their language closely related to Latin and the latins. Cultures that are Hispanic today are precisely Hispanic because they inherit Spanish culture.

This would include everywhere from Mexico down to Argentina. Even the Philippines qualified for Hispanic for some time but absolved it. Roots is the reason Brazil isn't Hispanic

• That is wrong. The term originated even before Spain was created. The Iberian Peninsula was called "Hispania" by the Romans, that's when the term was originated, but today, Spanish people don't consider themselves Hispanic, I'm Spanish and I don't consider myself Hispanic, neither does the rest of those I know. We call people from Latin America, Hispanic, but not us.

• thanks

• "The term originated even before Spain was created."

I never said it didn't exist prior to Spain being created as a country. The Latins are the people that gave rise to the roman empire prior to the creation of Italy. The tribe in early spain lived within hispania

What Girls Said 8

• No... Spain is a country. Spanish is a language.

• No, I don't think so. I don't think Spaniards are Hispanic.

• it's absolutely, definitely not

• yes i got it now thanks for answering

• No, I believe Hispanic is a colloquial version of Spanish. It is the same basic language but has changed and evolved over the years.

• Nope, is not

• whats the difference?

• Spanish is the language we both speak, but when you refer someone as Spanish, it means that person is from Spain

• thanks

• According to Webster:

Full Definition of HISPANIC
    1
    : of or relating to the people, speech, or culture of Spain or of Spain and Portugal

2
    : of, relating to, or being a person of Latin American descent living in the United States; especially : one of Cuban, Mexican, or Puerto Rican origin

• No. Hispanic is a race. Spanish is a language and a culture.

• Honestly it s actually the same.
    Spanish people left for america, now they are latinos or hispanic. They made their own culture too.
    But in the origin, they re the same.

What Guys Said 9

• No it's not the same.

• whats the difference?

• Spanish are people from Spain, and a language. Hispanics are those who have Spanish ancestors but aren't from Spain. Therefore those in Latin America (besides Brazil) are Hispanic.

• k thanks

• I speak Hispanic

• No. Spanish is both a language and a single ethnicity. Hispanic is a term used to describe those from Spanish speaking countries. And Latino is a term used to describe those from Latin American countries.

• Not at all. They are separate ethinic/cultural groups, although Hispanic people do have prominent Spanish ancestry.

• Spanish refers to the language, coulture and people from the country of Spain, Hispanic is the people, coultures and languages of lands that were once conquered by Spain (ie Latin America)

• Hispanic is a race of people from southwestern Europe; Spain and Portugal. They are quite alike white Caucasians but they have dark hair. Spanish can refer to the race in some cases, but also refers to the language and the country; take care to distinguish your intended definition if you use the term "Spanish"

Also, "latino" is typically used to describe someone from South America

• not really, Hispanics are from Mexico and Spanish are Spain

• According to Google, hispanic people who live in America, "relating to Spain or to Spanish-speaking countries, especially those of Latin America."

Or:
    "a Spanish-speaking person living in the US, especially one of Latin American descent."

• At least they speak a slightly different Spanish for sure.