When I try to picture a terrorist , why do only muslim people come to my mind?

Does that happen to you? I know terrorists can be non-muslims, but somehow when I picture terrorists, only muslim guys with beards and AK47 in hand comes to my mind. Is that racist?

Most Helpful Guy

• Because Islamic extremists are responsible for the majority of terrorism in recent history.

• Is that racist?

• Because all terrorists are not muslims,
      If I said something like all black people are ugly, would that be racist?

• "Because all terrorists are not muslims"

Correct. They are not.
      Not all Muslims are terrorists, but most terrorists (in recent years) are Muslim.

"If I said something like all black people are ugly, would that be racist?"

Yes, it would be racist. That would be the equivalent of saying "all Muslims are terrorists".

What Girls Said 16

• It happens to me too, the reason being that the media is Always like: a muslim/arabian terrorist blew himself up and killed 50 people. While if were to be a western person it would be like: a western male (blew himself up and) killed 50 people. It has to do with the USA and Europe in my opinion. They put emphasis on arabians being terrorist/criminals whatever. Probably due to the age long history between western and middle-east. Just try to be realistic, not every terrorist is muslim and not every western is holy.

If it's racist or not... well I guess to a certain point it is. But then again in this time and age every little thing that downgrades one race is called racist so w. e. As long as you don't bother people with it I could care less if you're a racist or not.

• "While if were to be a western person it would be like: a western male (blew himself up and) killed 50 people"

At least with respect to the US, this is not true. If somebody shoots up a school or commits any other terroristic act, they make sure to release every single detail possible about the perpetrator.

• Well why do you think it got printed in your mind that terrorist are arabian/muslim?

• Because the media overinflates events that have widespread appeal/drama. Media show what people are interested in, and war + the "foreign" "Other" + painting the U. S. as a heroic go-forth-and-protect army all work very nicely together to make stories that people are interested in watching/scared to ignore. No one wants to read about crazy right-wing domestic terrorists (who make up a huge proportion of the attacks in the U. S. since the 1950s - look it up. Something like 6% were carried out by those identifying as Muslims. Something closer to like 30% were Latinos/Hispanic. Who's ever even heard of Hispanic/Latino terrorism? That's right - because the media don't cover those things. Or the white supremacist colonies in rural Idaho. Those things are far removed from many Americans' realities. So is the Middle East, except for members of military families, but it's dramatic and our oil comes from there and oh, let's not forget the Christians who believe that the End Times will take place if there's some kind of major showdown in the Middle East/Israel.)

Anyway. Those are a few reasons. You might want to check out Edward Said's "Covering Islam: How the media and the experts determine how we see the rest
    of the world" (Vintage Books, 1997).

• They're the only people society like to call terrorists.

• because americans don't know any better and were never educated right.

• because of media. and most terrorists in this time call themselves muslims..

• What do you think about this? Just found out while reading an article..
      "In 2011, Sunni Muslims accounted for the greatest number of terrorist attacks and fatalities for the third year in a row. Over 5,700 incidents were committed by Sunni Muslims, responsible for nearly 56 percent of all attacks and about 70 percent of 12,533 fatalities.

Another 24 percent of the fatalities are on Shi´a Muslims. So in 2011, Muslims were responsible for 94 percent of the fatalities in terrorist attacks. Since 2011, with ISIS on the scene, the number of the fatalities –victims of the Muslim terrorist attacks- sharply grew, together with Muslims´ share in the world terrorism that is steadily closing in on 100%."

• As I said.. most terrorists call themselves Muslims

• Well its not you the problem , i would say its the consequence of what the world is trying to make people beleive that terrorists are muslims , and will all the media ofc when u try to picture a terro a muslim come to ur mind , i will not specify what i mean by " the world " , and maybe u r a but rascist just a a bit? I don't know but if u were rational before picturing the muslim think with ur brain not what media is picturing to you ^^

• It's pretty stupid.

• I dont think its racist.. I think its because everytime the news is on and we are watching... we see something that has been done. And it is usually a muslim that is behind it... its upsetting because it could be anyone.

• Cause thats the image society gave you.

• is that racist?

• But if I see an image of a muslim in my mind when I think of terrorists, isn't that my mind's way of saying that all terrorists are muslims.

• no, because thats what people told you to think, many think the same image, even if we do know that not all muslims are terrorists

• because its usually the truth, well muslim men anyway

• It's how you've seen them painted since you opened your eyes, since you were a child. If you believe that view is wrong, then no, it's not racist, you're merely a victim of circumstances.

• Most terrorists are Muslim

• I think of IS (islam)

• Lol its society way of only ever mentioning the Muslim terrorists

• Media is a competitive bitch, they'll grab on to every oppurtunity they get at news.. They don't specifically just show only muslim terroritsts.. unless that's the only thing happening.

• Okay, what about Hitler and his buddies?

What Guys Said 24

• I don't really have a problem with this, mainly because my favorite villain in the series "24" was Stephen Saunders, a white British guy with contagious wit. Thank God terrorists in real life aren't as cool as those on TV.

• Other nationalities of terrorists (such as the IRA) aren't nearly as active or prominent in the media any more.

• Terrorism doesn't have a relgion or race or a country , but what u do isn't racist I mean when we Arabian Muslims hear a terrorist attack first thing ISIS , MIB , OR FREE TO JERUSALEM BROTHERHOOD it's what the media want to do to destroy the middle east and Islam that's the 5th generation war and they succeed

• when was the last time you´ve seen a blonde christian guy, an Asian buddhist or a black heathen blowing themselves up somewhere? xD

• I have never seen a muslim blowing himself too.. They need to be God damn too flexible for that shit.
      Jokes aside..
      Is that racist though?

• You didn't get the pun..

• XD lol yeah i actually didn´t. thanks for pointing that out... i´m such a fool ^^

• Most Muslims are NOT terrorists but most terrorists are Muslims.

• Because in recent years they have been practically the only ones to do it.
    just like how..
    whites-fat drunk slobs
    mexicans-out of work
    indian guys-creeps
    blacks-crack smokers
    japanese-squinting at everything
    Muslims-blowing up everything

• Islam is NOT a race, therefore it cannot be "racist".

• Their is a race against relgion. -_-

• No that's not what extremist use
      U know the verse " and fight them where u find them" I don't know the exact verse in English so srry for that

• @Mesonfielde
      """the only sin that is punishable by death in Islam is to be an atheist""

I'm pretty sure that is a view that can easily be used to support terrorism."

Oh come on man, by that logic, 'kill thy neighbor if he works on sunday' should had caused havoc.

• did your thought really warrant a question on girlsaskguys?

when i picture lawyers i see people in suits.

• When I think of terrorists, I think of this SOB.
    cdn-3.historyguy.com/biofiles/timothy-mcveigh.jpg

• Because all terrorists are muslims. By the way, what race are muslims for you to be a racist?

• Generally yes.

No, it's not racist because muslims aren't a race. It's just a fascist religion.

• 0|0
  • Racist hillbillies no?

• BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHH

• because for the last few years they have been the ones to do the most terrorist attacks

• Because of the world's media and governments

• Because of groups like Isis and such

• Because of the news?

• Not all terrorists are muslim, but the majority of terrorists are.

• Because of the media

• Because we have ISIS, Al Qaeda, Al Shabbab, Hamas, Hezbollah and Iran.

• The media have great power over our minds. Words are very powerful tools.

• Cause of the Media. Really.

• Modern stereotype. Isreal has issues with female terrorists but get looked over.