When you stay at a hotel do you take some of the mini shampoos, soaps, or conditioners afterwards?

My sister does this. XD

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't take them for two reasons: firstly, I have my own stuff that I always take along and I'm quite happy with those products. I like to buy a special shower gel that is ph-neutral and very smooth on my skin because my skin gets irritated easily.
    The second reason is that I find it morally questionable to just take these little soaps and bottles of shampoo. Unfortunately, people are very poorly informed and the vast majority of hotel guests who take these things wrongly believe that they may do so, that the hotels are giving these things away as little gifts. This, however, is not the case. ALL things you find in a hotel room and that are provided by the hotel (towels, night gowns, pens, tooth paste, shampoo, soap etc.) are legally speaking property of that hotel and solely intended to be used in that particular hotel. In other words: taking these things home or to another place equals theft. Any hotel that catches a guest stealing these products could theoretically sue them. Unsurprisingly, this happens very rarely (it has happened a few times in the past though) because it's not worth suing somebody for a few bucks.
    But while you don't really have to fear any legal consequences, I still find it morally questionable. I know that most hotels have enough money to compensate for this stuff but does that automatically justify the act of stealing? How come so many people steal in hotels but don't steal when they go grocery shopping for example? Or what about stealing a pen at your friend's house? Surely, he/she has enough money to buy a new pencil or pen, right? Is the only reason people don't steal at Wal-Mart but they steal while on vacation that they fear getting caught if they put an apple in their purse while grocery shopping? And what does this say about the moral compass of the individual person? If the only reason I'm not committing a crime is that I'm scared to get caught, doesn't that make me a bit of a hypocrite? Doesn't it mean I'm doing the right thing for the wrong reason? I personally believe that stealing is wrong in all cases, so I try hard to remain an honest person even if temptation is high.

• I'm impressed at how well you elaborated your position on the matter. You provided the facts, the commentary, and the evidence. You're certainly well informed. I'm assuming you write often?

• I see, what's your first language? :)

• Swiss and German. Technically it's Swiss but we have to learn German starting from first grade elementary and the two are very closely related, so Swiss people are also native at German ;-)

What Guys Said 10

• Hotels provide those products in small, individual size containers. They are intended to be used by the guests, that is why they are provided. And once they are opened, they are useless to the hotel and it is expected that either the guests take them or they are thrown out. Can you imagine someone trying to put the wrapper around the soap after they use it (and leave a hair attached to it)?

Regardless of the opinion of someone else on here, the hotel industry provides personal care products with the intent that they be used, and once used, the hotel cannot use them again, so they expect you to take them. Of course that does not apply to towels and other things that can be washed and reused.

@AzureGirl - ignore the chiding someone gave you. He is so wrong it is ridiculous. The products are for the guests and are figured into the cost of the room. You paid for them. Enjoy them.

• why not? They toss it out anyway.

• I sure do I pay all that money to stay there there little cheap mini shampoos are coming home with me. They can keep there little thin soap though I have no use for dirt cheap soap

• I literally take everything that isn't nailed shut, including the batteries and the bible.

• Last time I went to a hotel with my family and my Mum stole like 5 towles.

• hahaha same dude my aunt used to steal every thing in the room hahaha

• na i take my own shit

• They will find you someday. maybe not today or tomorrow but they will find you!

• No---------

• Every single time.

• I take those and all the bodies too.

What Girls Said 15

• Heck yes I do. You never know when you'll need that.

I used to be a housekeeper and it was always waaaaaaaaay easier when people took everything because then I didn't have to remember anything different and could get the same number of things from the cart.

• Yeah. And god help the cleaning lady that leaves the cart unattended.

• Haha sometimes, it's good for if you're going away for a couple days and don't wanna bring your huge bottle!

• Sometimes I do. Why not? 😛

• No, I'm not that desperate/broke lol. And I'm pretty sure that the stuff I already have is more high quality.

• Yes i do take everything lol I take all the soaps.

• I always take them :P I will basically take whatever is available, even if I don't actually want it.

• Of course! They're there for a reason and they're like little souvenirs.

• You should know though that the reason they're there is NOT to take them with you but rather to use them while staying in that particular hotel. Most people don't know this but taking the little soaps or bottles of shampoo is not like "a souvenir", technically speaking, it's theft and any hotel that catches you with them has the right to sue you. I understand many people do it and 98% of them aren't aware that it's actually against the law and I personally also don't think it's a huge deal but people who do it should still know that they're stealing them.

• That's true. They do throw away a lot of them and the environmental argument you bring up is actually a very good point.

• nope. I did when we went on vacation as a kids. I grabbed extra mints from the carts when no one was looking too.

• Hell yes! They make good travel bottles.

• Nah, i take my own shampoo, i hate hotel soups.
    I have taken a towel though -_-

• i take the pen and notepad :o

• yes, they throw them out when you leave. you can travel with most of them

• All the time!!

• Heck yes! I take the towels also xD