Are operations scarey?

Tomorrow morning I'm getting an operation in my mouth they have to cut my gum open on the bottom row of my teeth to get to two teeth that are laid down in my mouth and then they have to stitch up my gums... Should I be scared I feel sick with nerves😷😭

Most Helpful Guy

• I was knocked out when I had my wisdom teeth pulled out. It just felt like I closed my eyes and suddenly I was awake. It just seemed like a second or so.

Most Helpful Girl

• Operations aren't scary.
    I've had my wisdom teeth out and my whole upper jaw moved around and plated, so that was a biggish surgery.
    You won't remember any of it the second the IV is in. You're out cold.
    And they'll give you good pain meds.

What Guys Said 6

• Will you have a total anesthesia or only a local one?

• That's not possible. No doctor administers a local AND a complete anesthesia. That would completely defeat the purpose of a local anesthesia. If you have a complete one, you're passed out. I've had 6 complete anesthesias so far and so I know them very well. When you have a full anesthesia, you're completely passed out. It's not even like sleeping because you don't dream and you lose any feeling of time. For example when you fall asleep and you wake up in the middle of the night, you will be able to tell that several hours have passed. You might not be able to say how much time exactly has passed but you will FEEL that it must have been a few hours. This is very different when you have a full anesthesia. When you wake up again, it's almost like waking up from being temporarily dead. I've had times where I woke up and I was absolutely convinced that I've been out for just a second, when in reality, I had been out for two hours. In other words: when you have a full anesthesia, you're

• almost like dead (metaphorically speaking). You don't dream, you don't think and you certainly don't feel anything whatsoever. Having an additional local anesthesia would thus be completely superfluous. A local anesthesia is very different. In a local anesthesia, the patient is awake and responsive in a totally normal way. You hear everything, you see everything and you can talk to the doctor as though nothing was happening. You just sense a numb feeling in whatever body part is being operated on.
      Now, about the scary part: if it's a local anesthesia, it can be scary because you still hear stuff and you are consciously experiencing what's happening. Complete anesthesias are - at least in my opinion - not scary at all. They are a bigger deal medically speaking but since you're passed out during the whole time, you don't even realize what's happening. And once you come back to consciousness, everything's already finished.

• Being nervous is normal, but that doesn't sound like an unusual procedure. You'll be fine even though it will hurt for a good week or more.

• Don't worry, they are most likely going to knock you out for that. You won't feel a thing while it's happening, it'll just be sore for a while after it, but it'll be fine. You'll be okay! :)

• nah it will be fine don't worry 👍 :D

• Sorry I'm late I guess but
    How's your operation😶?

• Yes they are scary and it's normal to be scared. Most likely all will go well and you will be just fine and it won't be as big a deal as you think

What Girls Said 3

• Personally I close my eyes and refuse to look at any of the tools when I'm at the dentist... Seeing them increases my anxiety. I just close my eyes and pray to be honest

• You'll be fine. I had stuff done to my mouth before. It's over before you even know it.

• Some operations, but not all.