Should "smart" people have to "dumb" things down for "dumb-er" people?

1|0
1|5

Most Helpful Girl

• Well yeah, assuming you want the person to understand you.

If someone needs some extra help understanding something, then I think it's nice to help him or her out as best you can. Patience is a beautiful thing.

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I have found that almost everyone is "dumb" about some subjects while being knowledgeable about others. For example, James Watson, one of the two scientists who discovered the "double helix" of DNA, and a Nobel prize winner, revealed himself to be a racist through his stupid remarks. Even if you believe his remarks to be correct, the sheer stupidity of revealing his racism boggles the mind.

And, he is not alone. In 1985 Cambridge mathematician Professor Douglas Hartree, said that, in his opinion, all the calculations that would ever be needed in this country could be done on the three digital computers which were then being built—one in Cambridge, one in Teddington, and one in Manchester. No one else, he said, would ever need machines of their own, or would be able to afford to buy them. Howard H. Aiken made a similar statement in 1952.

Basically we are only intelligent in those areas that we have studied, either on our own or in school. Otherwise, we are all idiots.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion!

What Guys Said 4

• Yes we do. Otherwise you will have a lonely and socially fruitless life. It's important to turn off the "smart switch" n your brain sometimes!

Life is more enjoyable that way, because you connect with people better!

0|0
    0|0
  • No.

Just like if you want a baby to learn like an adult, then you speak to the baby like an adult rather than dumbing things down and saying 'goo goo ga ga' where he or she will then learn like a baby.

0|0
    0|0
  • Should if they speak smart just to be pretentious.

0|0
    0|0
  • I have to do that all the freaking time.. to almost.. everybody.

0|0
    0|0