Is sleep paralysis dangerous?

Sleep paralysis is a phenomenon in which a person either during falling asleep (Hypnagogia) or awakening (Hypnopompia), temporarily experiences an inability to move, speak, or react. It is a transitional state between wakefulness and sleep, characterized by muscle atonia (muscle weakness). It is often accompanied by terrifying hallucinations (such as an intruder in the room) to which one is unable to react due to paralysis, and physical experiences (such as strong current running through the upper body). One hypothesis is that it results from disrupted REM sleep, which normally induces complete muscle atonia to prevent sleepers from acting out their dreams. Sleep paralysis has been linked to disorders such as narcolepsy, migraines, anxiety disorders, and obstructive sleep apnea; however, it can also occur in isolation. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

This is so happening to me.

Most Helpful Girl

• I have the opposite.
    I have parasomnia. Rather then having the inability to move, I kick and scream and talk out my dreams. I don't really know much about sleep paralysis but with myself, I tend to lose a lot of sleep time because I'll wake up after I've acted out my dream. Plus sleeping over peoples houses sometimes sucks. and I can totally forget about trying to share a bed.

Most Helpful Guy

• It really isn't dangerous by itself. If you freak out about it it can trigger an anxiety attack which can be dangerous. You just need to relax and remember what's going on.

• I find that REALLY unlikely if not impossible, if your heart rate speeds up a lot such as in the case of an anxiety attack, your body would realize something is wrong and wake you up, which would calm you down. In fact, one of the methods of ending sleep paralysis is to focus on speeding up your breathing, which would speed up your heart rate, would wake you up.

• The thing is, I have panic disorder, and the first time I experienced sleep paralysis, I freaked out and immediately woke out of it. As for the lethality of panic/anxiety attacks, my doctor tells me that it is very unlikely if I have no cardiac issues since in most cases of death as a result of anxiety attack, the cardiac symptoms appear THEN the panic attack appears, never the other way around. So Asker if you have no heart conditions, a panic attack (whether as a result of sleep paralysis or not) can NEVER hurt you.

• I know, I was just saying how I wake myself up from sleep paralysis.

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 3

• No, not for me though it has only happened to me twice now. It was pretty freaky at first because I has trying to move but couldn't, which is like one of my biggest fears as it reminds me of claustrophobia. However, I never experienced any of the above stated side effects which would definitely suck but its not dangerous at all.

• It is not even close to being dangerous. Here is the thing about sleep paralysis, your body is still paralyzed and still in a physiological state of sleep. In other words, as far as your body is concerned, you are still sleeping. You are essentially in a state of watching yourself sleep, nothing dangerous about that unless you believe sleep by itself can be dangerous :P

• It's not dangerous at all.

In fact many people try to achieve this state through meditation to preform astral travel, it's basically your body is asleep while your mind is conscious.