How do you think the dawn of strong artificial intelligence would influence humanity?

We've been discussing consciousness in my philosophy class in collge lately and it got me thinking about consciousness in machines. How do you think conscious machines would change how we view ourselves and the world we live in?

If they could think like we do would they deserve human rights?
Would selling them be akin to slavery?

Try to think deeply about it in terms of questions like that.

Most Helpful Girl

• This reminds me of a tv series its called humans! And they talk about how if robots had conscious they deserve right because they have feelings and suffer. I don't know but consiousess makes us different to everything else that why we are human or thats what i got from the show. Anyway I think if it has feeling it should be treated as a person. I wonder how got consciousness because we are just cells and organs put together like a machine! How did we get our mind to think a certain way. Anyhow, I wonder if we get to keep our conscious when we are dead! I sure hope so! lol

Most Helpful Guy

• The most important question would be if the machine has consciousness or if you perceive it to have consciousness. How do you know the change is external and real?

If you believe a machine has achieved consciousness, what mechanism brought it about? Hardware? A reliable power source? Excellent programming? Will the consciousness survive a loss of power and resume once it's been reinstated or will it start over? How can anyone be sure some kind of machine consciousness doesn't already exist, but both machines and humans are unaware of the other's state?

Machine consciousness would be acquired differently than human consciousness no matter whose philosophy you believe. As such, it wouldn't be reasonable to establish "human" rights for them. It would also bring up interesting questions about whether consciousness is ever acquired naturally, especially if the machines themselves are unable to reproduce separate conscious entities like animals can. Even if they could create new independent entities, could a manufactured, inorganic consciousness be considered natural?

• That's true. I think it would help us redefine how we look at our own self and consciousness as well.

What Girls Said 4

• strong AI as a philosophical position was simply that any computer could replicate consciousness, which is, ridiculous but was based on the principles of an idea called functionalism, which is the position that consciousness is simply a specific function. it's just an exercise in missing the point, like saying "having hands is simply saying that you can do a certain function." this is what the chinese room argument was positioned against.

actual artificial intelligence, assuming it could be achieved /without/ replicating consciousness, would be a mind boggling technological jump, and the number of things that could then be automated would be astronomical. if included with replicating consciousness, that's different - but not really something to worry about any time soon.

• Right I'm not worried about it.. I was just wondering what the impact would be.

• AI and technology has both helped and the hurt human condition. While they provide a valuable service they've replaced humans in the job market.
    I imagine strong AI will do the same

• I don't know what exactly would happen, but I doubt it would be good. I'm thinking of like the I, Robot movie or like the Cybermen. Bad news, man.

• The funny thing about the I, Robot movie is that the robot with true freedom to make its own decisions was the hero except for Viki lol

• That could be true. The ability to upgrade themselves could put humans in a subservient position very quickly. How would we remain useful?

• We wouldn't!

• Well look at us, they'd probably behave no different.

• You don't think there would be any different ways of viewing the world without being a biological life form?

• An AI with consciousness*

• Right right. We would have to be very careful in what type of personalities we give them.

What Guys Said 10

• We'd essentially be creating an alternate apex species on this planet. So the programming would be quite important, to say the least. (Humans were programmed quite poorly. Still waiting for that upgrade.)

The Three Laws of Robotics (which I imagine were mentioned in the classroom, and perhaps improved upon) would be necessary, at a minimum.

But to answer your question, it would be the biggest event in the history of the species. I see no evidence that we're prepared for it. It would likely reaffirm, more than anything else, that though man is a wolf to man, man is worse than a wolf to those it considers beneath man.

• Yes, I think they should be afforded "human" rights, or rather we should redefine human rights to include self aware beings above a certain level of intelligence
    Yes, I think selling them would be akin to slavery.

I think a more important question would be what would the impact of artificial personality be? There's a sci-fi writer I read a lot called Robert Sawyer. He talks about artificial intelligence in his books. Much of the impact of artificial intelligence depends largely on the personality and temperament of the AI.

• Yeah it would depend on how we make them in general. That could vary the outcome greatly.

• Many cutting edge minds of our time ( Bill Gates, Stephen Hawking, Elon Musk) have warned about advancing artificial intelligence. And I totally agree with them.

• That depends on who programs and controls that AI.

• we've literally made movies about this type of thing. that's exactly why we don't need to have artificial intelligence in robots/androids until we invent high tech exo suits to protect ourselves :|

• I believe that they would deserve human rights. If it acts like a person, then it should be treated like a person under the assumption that it is.

• ... The question is interesting, but are you sure this is the best place to ask it?

• lol probably not but I'm incredibly bored and I'm really interested in how the general population would view it.

• I think the machines would win.

• Well humans might gradually take a more subservient role because we wouldn't be as capable as they are. You think it would definitely come to a conflict?

• True, but I think conflict would be inevitable. Just like how it is with humans.

• Yeah since we would be their creators they would probably possess some of our flaws in that sense too.

• We are already in now.

• Porn would get real interesting! haha