I hate being an arachnophobe?

Does anyone feel the same? Just now I had to quickly turn off the shower and lights to run back into my bedroom because this spider thought it would be cool to wake up and move around. At first I just saw this big black dot in the corner of the bathroom and decided to watch it out of fascination and fear. Then legs started to spread out and the spider began to glide on it's web. Obviously I freaked out. I wish I didn't have this fear since its so illogical, something that is so insignificant and is more afraid of me is the reason why I can't take a nice shower. I've recently seen the news about that lady who jumped out of a moving car over a spider being on her shoulder which risked her son having severe head injuries from the crash. I don't want to be like that in the future.

Most Helpful Guy

• Yea i never really understood that fear. Like for me spiders dont scare me at all. And there isn't anything really to worry about. They usually just do their own thing and dont bother you. But somehow people get freaked out when theyre just crawling around. Sure there are some dangerous ones but even then they dont chase you or anything. It is an irrational fear so i hope you get over it. Its better to realise it for how it is and not overeact.

• please read my comment haha, we don't chose what we're scared of, it's conditioned into us

• Yes but everyone can get over their fears. Its not like its a solid thing and there is nothing u can do. The brain is wired to change and to learn new things. Im not saying its an easy thing to get over but if u take small steps then u can do anything. Its amazing what the brain is capable of. Have u heard of the amputees learning to use bionic hands all over again. At first they didn't know what to do bc their brain forgot how to control their hand. But after practice they could learn to control their new bionic hand. There are heaps of examples of this. U can achieve what u want to achieve if u just put your mind to it. If u believe its impossible then it is impossible. If u believe it possible then it might just be possible.

• @Suhmer

Most Helpful Girl

• The psychology behind it makes more sense.
    Conditioning is where we learn from a repeated behaviour we've seen, based on the outcome.

So.. what has caused most people to be afraid of spiders is the conditioning when we were younger.
    In school when a spider showed up in class, everyone would have ran away from the spider screaming right? We then learn from that behaviour that a spider is something we have to stay away from, and in the future when we see one it's been conditioned into us to be scared of it because everyone kept away from it.

So yeah it defeats logic but it's hard to re-train your brain.

I too am absolutely terrified of spiders. Although it's not just spiders, it's all insects. I scream pretty loudly it's very embarrassing haha.

What Guys Said 5

• i am arachnophobic too , but also curious about them ; p
    the most often kind of spider i saw inside house (around here) is called huntsman spider , they are not necessarily dangerous despite their large size , and the fact that they are moving very fast

• I grew up in the jungle, we had to worry about snakes!
    But we had spiders the size of your hand and bigger!

I hate medium sided ones, tiny ones are cute and big ones are like pets!

• Eww! Same ✋

• hun, you and i both have the same problem. they are creepy little motherfuckers that should be sprayed on sight

• I have a personal hatred towards all insects. I think countries should instill an Insect Apartheid.

What Girls Said 3

• I went to take out the trash a few days ago and completely freaked out when a spider about landed on my shoulder (it was building a web outside the door). I refused to go outside until my boyfriend killed it. Trust me, you're not alone -_-

• One was in my hair the other day, wriggling around and touching my eyelashes. I totally freaked out and ran into the front room where my boyfriend started to laugh at me, but I was actually so freaked out I nearly cried... and I don't normally react like that. Oh it was so so so big!

• i know the feel... same here :'(