Do you think 'ladylike' is a term that skews/stifles the behaviours of women as well as male behaviour towards them?

Most Helpful Girl

• I'd like to know what defines a woman as a "lady"
    does a lady have to be a virgin? Is it the clothes? is it table manners? is it the amount of times she doesn't say "FUCK" in a day? is is the white hankerchief she drops?

If that is it, I'm so fucked... I swear, I am loud, I drink and smoke, I like driving fast cars... but I can do all of that wearing a badass dress and high heels. does that make me a lady?

What Girls Said 3

• "Lady like" was first used to tell women that, that was how they were to behave in society because that was their job as women. Today, the term has taken on a somewhat different meaning, like parents telling their sons you are suppose to treat women like a lady just because she is a woman. It can stifle some people because most men have become so used to the idea that you are suppose to treat women like a lady, that they do it to most women they come across without taking into account her personality.

• meh, to an extent.

• Somewhat yes I'd agree as a woman raised with three brothers.

What Guys Said 4

• It depends on how strictly you define the term. I don't mind a little deviation, so long as she's not using it as a cover to be completely nasty.

• Hmmmmm yes and no! Not many women behave like ladies these days. Enough said...

• If only I could meet a ladylike woman. I hate women without manners.

It's not exactly a term I hear thrown around too often though so I wouldn't say it effects anyone unless it's something they are striving for. Does the term "gentleman" effect how men act? I doubt it.

• It seems anything and everything stifles or offends someone these days. I'm getting pretty sick of it.