Do you respect your elders?

• Yes
  • No
Respect your elders basically means don't disrespect them.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes. Always. But I don't treat them as an authority figure if they aren't one. It's annoying when someone who's older than you thinks they have authority over you in all honesty.

• I like this answer because it reminds me of the older guys who I didn't know calling me "son". I always hated that.

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 16

• Yeah but... my elders (as in older girls, seniors for ex.) always talk shit about juniors, sophomores, and especially freshmen, like its bs. But elders as in older people, yes of course.

• Only if they respect me too.

• Yes I try my best to.

• I respect everyone until they give me a reason not to, then usually I will just politely decline anything they throw my way.

• It's hard to sometimes.

• What makes it hard?

• Well makes it hard are elders who for some reason have a rude personality. One time an old woman throw one of those register divider sticks in my direction (on the belt) when I had nicely asked her if she could give it to me so I didn't get our grocceries mixed up. I kept my cool because my Mom told me to forget about it.

• There are crazy old people but I think the expression respect your elders means don't disrespect your elders. It doesn't mean they can disrespect us though.

• In our culture it's a must. So yes of course I do.

• If they deserve it. Being old doesn't automatically mean you deserve respect.

• I respect those who are respectful. I will not give my respect freely to those who don't respect others.

• I'd get slapped up if I disrespected anyone in my family that's older than me.

• @Marika19. What? you get slapped? well I suppose you are an adult? that's not right that you get slapped.

• @Marika19. Well that's okay what I am trying to say is if elders do something wrong, say something wrong or do not treat you properly then if you stand up to them it's not disrespect, if you don't then it's fear not respect, respect is fine but you shouldn't fear your elders and keep quite despite knowing it's wrong, if you keep quite and not stand up to them when you must then it's fear and not respect that's what I am saying so that would depend on the situation,

Hope you get my point? Anyways I don't know it's your family, I was just saying.

• @serious lol its ok, yeah I understand, if it's morally wrong of what they're doing/saying, then I won't keep quiet. I just know my place, like if it's among them, I don't say anything unless it's bad. But it never is. Usually I say something ridiculous or completely stupid, when ishouldnt, that's when I would have been slapped, but it's only cuz I interfered with them on a whole diff level lol

• Yep, I do.

• Yes definitely.

• Until they give me a reason not to respect them.

• That is word for word what I always say. Respect your elders really means don't disrespect them.

• I respect anyone who is deserving of respect. However when I don't respect someone I never make it known unless they cause major troubles in my life directly.

• Only the ones who don't give me a reason to disrespect them.

• I respect them until the disrespect me.

• Yes I respect them, everyone deserves respect.

What Guys Said 9

• Yes, I do. However when they say something wrong or something that's not right, or if they talk nonsense, I also have the courage to tell them or stand up to them if it is needed.

• Respect your elders really means don't disrespect them. Doesn't mean we have to be disrespected by them though.

• I'm echoing what you said but that's for everybody to hear which is why I put it in the update. I think the saying should be changed to Don't disrespect your elders because a lot of younger people disrespect those older than them and that is a disgrace.

• As long as they aren't driving, yes.

• I show respect to everyone but if they step on my toes i happily crunch theirs.

• Yes? Why is that even a question? lol XD.

• Hell yeah I respect my elders which to me is people over 30

• yup lol...

• I don't respect my elders any more than anyone else. In my opinion, no one inherently deserves respect through age or position, but they earn it through action.

• The saying respect your elders really means don't disrespect your elders not kiss their feet. If you don't disrespect your elders then the answer to this question is yes.

• I will say I am glad I didn't go to a Catholic school though. lol

• Actually, the school I went to for elementary was Baptist. They were bat-shit crazy. The only reason I went there is because the schools I am zoned for are horrible, like, if I went there I would be dead by now kind of horrible. I'm just barely on the edge of their zones, but I'd still have to go.

Now, I go to the second best magnet school in my state. It's better in math and science than the #1 magnet school, though, and that's what I'm interested in.

• Yes for the most part.

• Depends on if they deserve respect