Is cussing a sin?

I'm not super religious but was wondering, is cussing a sin or is it just frowned upon?
i do not plan on being super foul mouthed but like sometimes you need a cuss word for emphasis or lack of a better term lol.

Most Helpful Guy

• Cussing is vague.

Being crass and vulgar is not a sin.

Using the lord's name 'in vain' is listed as a sin. I think what this really means is you're not supposed to ask for god to damn people to hell over trivial things.

Using slang terms for sex or fecal matter is not blasphemy.

It's an interesting characteristic of English culture (not only english) that being vulgar is considered worse than being mildly blasphemous. In some cultures (spanish, french) it's the other way around.

Most Helpful Girl

• "Sins" are about people's belief systems and what they believe to be a "sin". Absolutely no one knows if we are "devinely" judged or not, and what that judgment is based on (sins for example). So you can determine for yourself what you believe, and act in accordance with those beliefs. The better people of the world learn to respect each person's individual beliefs, even if theirs are different.

What Guys Said 5

• I don't think it is. Because even real good people curse, even curse if they don't even mean to hurt anyone or are angry themselves

• If that's true then literally everyone sins

• Hell if I fucking know lol

• Bad things are sin good things will Saving your second life

• yes it is. words can hurt. our mouths are made to praise the glory of God not hurt others.

What Girls Said 4

• Only if you're not paying yourself for it lol

• Yeah, i think it is.

• No and I will and CAN cuss all I want

• Everything is a sin. So just do what you want.