First Day Working at Macy's (or any retail) Advice?

I have my frist shift at macys this weekend and wanted to know if anyone who worked there knew kind of what to expect. I'm really nervous because this is my first job so I don't know what to exepct. Also I'll be working in the childrens department if anyone knows anything about that.

Most Helpful Guy

• Get familiar with the sections, where stuff is and how to deal with customers. Just stay calm and ready to work, you have nothing to worry about. I worked in retail at Calvin Klein and it wasn't so bad...

• Oh shit I forgot about black Friday, yea I would not want to be you, old sport!

• Lol :D is it really that bad for the workers?

• @Complicated-Soul everything is quick, heavy, and very stressful. The day will feel very slow, but its just one day and you will get over it.

What Guys Said 4

• Corporate retail's full of stick-up-the-ass people be it co workers or managers. Always watch what you say and who you say it to; I worked with a guy at Giant Eagle who used to joke and swear a lot but one day I complained about a customer to him and he ratted me out. Also always be polite even if it kill you. An asshole will always find a reason to complain about you. If a customer complains, even if you did literally nothing wrong, from my experience the dick head manager will still give you shit.

• I'll just leave this here:
    dishinwithrebelle.com/.../3rw0dy.jpg

• I work a 10 hour shift that day... I may die

• Sell the shit out of everything and have no mercy!!!

• you picked a bad time to start in retail. do you realize what is next week?

• Thats why they hired me, I'm not too worried because I am a very calm person but I might die of exhaustion haha

• The sale starts on Thanksgiving, the doors open at 6pm then at my location the doors close at 10pm (it varies store to store) but reopen 7am on black Friday.

What Girls Said 2

• ALWAYS have lotion somewhere nearby! I worked at J. C. Penney as holiday help last year and you would not believe how cracked and dry my hands were after folding sweater after sweater after sweater... Also, since no one expects to pay full price in retail stores, you will get a lot of people who don't read the fine print on their coupons and get pissed at you when you tell them they can't use a $10 off coupon on an item that comes to $9.95 with tax or that Levi jeans are excluded from the coupon discount. And this is racist, but working in retail taught me to be wary of shopping Indian families. They will give you the hardest time at checkout -.-
    In conclusion, I hated working retail like that. However, I love working the sort of retail at a bookstore =)

• my first job was retail
    make sure the register has enough receipt roll
    otherwise customers will get real bitchy with you if they want to do a same return on the spot