If Gender Equality exists, is it ever over for men to hit women?

Surely yes if it's in self defence.

There have been thousands of instances where a woman has viciously attacked a man, the man has then hit back but was charged for assault...

Women usually go around hitting men because they know men won't hit back, or at least assume so.

If I got in a confrontation with a woman in a bar, say. If she attacked me with a bottle and I dodged out the way and knocked her in the face... would I be arrested?

Most Helpful Girl

• Only in self defense. As in she's trying to kill you. Though that goes for anyone.

In that case I would think that's self defense. Not sure if you would still be in trouble but i'm sure both would be thrown out of the bar. Though with that kind of think like I said gender doesn't matter. It's who ever tries to hurt the person first.

But it's not okay to hit a guy either even if the woman isn't able to hit hard. If she wanted to she could grab something that could really hurt him.

Most Helpful Guy

• You can't be arrested by law for that because it was a defensive reaction to immediate danger but a biased sexist idiot judge could still try to turn it against you. I have practiced martial arts and my teacher told me the following:

1. A fight that didn't take place is a won fight. So if you have a chance to avoid something like that then avoid it. If you can't avoid it then:

2. If the other person is clearly the agressor and you "attacked" to defend yourself from an attack that was already initiated then you are pretty much on the safe side.

3. Make sure that the people around you (the witnesses) know who is the aggressor, maybe by loudly telling the other person not to attack you. If you don't get damaged by her attack then people might see you as the aggressor if they didn't witness her attack.

At least that's how it works in Germany. Yes, self defense is an oddly complicated topic because successful self defense usually means that you get away without a scratch so all your proof that it was self defense doesn't really exist, that's why you have to get the attention of others.
    I hope I could help!

What Girls Said 8

• How come every time equality is brought up the first thing men say is "that means I can punch women, right?"

• This is an EXAMPLE you half-wit.

• Obviously no one should be, or IS, allowed to hit anyone else

• If you're in fear for your life then yes this is when self-defense is needed.

If it's someone slapping you and you go on respond with a punch because ''how dare they disrespected me'' that's not self-defense. Both deserve to get charged in that case.

There is a time when self-defense is needed and that's not to get even with the person. That's to defend your life or someone else.

• If someone is trying to hit/assault you, you have the right to do it back in case of self defense regardless of sex.

• I don't think you should be

• You'd both be arrested most likely. If it was at home, with a girlfriend or a friend that's a girl, and she came at you first, it'd be different, she'd get taken to jail, you'd just get questioned.

But, since it's a bar, you'd probably get arrested for being disruptive, just like if a man got into a fight with you, or two women got into a fight.

• I believe in self defense. If anyone is attacking you, you should be able to subdue or block your attacker. I don't think you should be charged if someone came at you with a bottle (or any weapon, or fist, etc.).

I'm 5'7" and I work out... I'm not stronger than a lot of guys by any means. But if a tiny, scrawny guy came at me, attacking me... then I would try to subdue him. It wouldn't be right for me to keep going and pulverize the guy.

• It's not okay to hit anyone, but in self defence you might need to

Gender Equality unfortunately doesn't exist, we live in a patriarchy hence it's assumed that women can't hurt men and men should be able to just take abuse.

• Yes, and the both of you would have charges.

What Guys Said 3

• no one should hit anyone. that's my opinion. show me a man who resorts to violence and i'll show a man who has run out of ideas... i'd like to think that i always have an alternate idea (e. g. walk away)

• Good luck when someone comes runnign at you with a knife or gun.

• self defense is something else especially when a person has a weapon. but most likely if a person has a gun i don't think my fist are going to do anything

• sure, in self defence... but the response from the guy should be proportional to the attack that was dealt towards him. So in the Ray Rice example, it was not really okay for him to knock the woman out, because the force she was using was no where near that severe

• How on Earth can we calculate proportionality in a split second decision.

• me telling you to do what you want is aggressive? lol.. your aggression threshold must be pretty low mate. I just dont want to waste time debating with someone who thinks the response by a man does not need to be proportional to what was dished out by the woman. If the woman hits you, you're free to respond in whatever manner you personally want. Break her nose, break her arms, kill her. Makes no difference to me man.

• Omg, I just can't anymore bahahahaahahahaha! I just can't!!

• Yes, in self defense, and using reasonable force.