Do you think prisons would be less violent if men and women were imprisoned together?

Of course things would be kept separate like women being cell mates with other women and bathrooms and shower rooms separate, but everything else integrated. Men and women could have normal interactions throughout the day, just like regular society. I think doing that might keep some people sane and have them hold on to their humanity. What do you guys think?

Most Helpful Guy

• Prisons would be less violent if the prisoners were actually treated like people and helped instead of treated like beasts. Prisons are meant to help rehabilitate people. Instead they're used to punish, privatized to get around slave labor for the sake of profit and of course help the guards/warrens feel strong

What Guys Said 12

• 2|2
    • No, I don't think that at all.

• could easily be a survival mechanism: people learn to sleep with one eye open and when they do that, they learn to be a light sleeper that will react to anything out of the ordinary, e. g. if the door creaks they will jump out of bed and be prepared for a confrontation. people can be like this because of some sort of conditioning or mental discipline, e. g. martial arts, rather than because anything bad has happened to them. obviously a real life experience will exacerbate the condition into full blown post traumatic stress disorder which is not good! it would be so much better if the rehabilitation system (referring to it as this rather than prison seems to have a more positive effect on the way society see things) had facilities to accomodate better security, e. g. individual cells and individual shower cubicles. it's hard to say if in the west our societies generally do not have the resources to facilitate this or if it is to do with an overly conservative and reactionary response...

• from the general public.

• I think a lot more women would get raped by men, but moral for men would also go up. Not sure if that would be for the right reasons.

I don't know about prisons with less severe criminals, but they aren't in long enough to worry about their sanity.

• They are already raping each other because the guards suck at guarding people's integrity in there. I really think that is a terrible idea.

• I think that would be far too dangerous for the men AND the women. What would make prisons less dangerous would be not putting non-violent offenders in with violent ones.

• You also have to realize that prisons have a very high population of:
    1) the mentally ill, particularly dangerous mentally ill people
    2) Really bad people, psychopaths and sociopaths who do a lot of bad things.
    This is true for both men and women.

There may be a population in prison of ordinary normal people who just made a mistake and are sorry, but with all of the diversion programs out there, it is hard to spend any long period of time in prison without really deserving it.

So unless you just hate women prisoners and want to really increase the amount of prison rape, mixed-gender prisons are a bad idea

• The prisons in the US anyway wouldn't be as violent if they didn't have half the men in the world locked up in them.

• the women would be pimped by the dominant male prisoners

• You are aware that historically we tried this right? You should look up the results. <3

• We did? I had no idea.

• The basic rules are that if it doesn't outside it won't work inside. Having a candy dish filled to the brim with condoms won't solve anything.

• I should've put "help stop the spread of disease." A preventative measure is a better alternative and much more responsible than doing nothing at all.

• Men are already rampantly raping each other, imagine what would happen if women are introduced.

• Maybe with the women would probably be raped all the time

• Me thinks you have no clue what actually happens in prisons.

• thats the most stupid recommendation ever. there would be orgies and gang rapes all day long.

• It's not a recommendation. I was just curious, I literally had this thought five minutes ago while eating my cereal.

What Girls Said 2