What do you think the consequences of drunk driving should be?

For their first offense? Second offense maybe even their third offense?

Most Helpful Guy

• A hell of a lot stricter than it currently is. First offense- 60 days in jail, 30 of which in treatment. 2nd offense-6 months of lock down treatment. Lose of DL for year
    3rd offense- 2 years in jail. Permeate lose of DL.
    4th Offense- 10 years in jail.

A person who gets one dui might have just made a bad choice. But a person who gets one dui has a much higher chance of receiving a 2nd and 3rd. I think mandatory treatment is the best way but not all will be receptive and take treatment seriously, but a few will.

Most Helpful Girl

• Honestly it doesn't matter what you do. If they have a breathalyzer they'll just have someone else breathe into it. If you take away there license then they drive anyways. Sending them to jail does prevent it while they're in prison but they will get out

What Guys Said 15

• The penalties they have now vary from state to state. But in most cases, it does not matter, because so many that get caught and punished, still do it again. If you remove their license, they just drive (drunk) without the license.

There has been enough publicity that everyone should realize that driving drunk is about as dangerous as shooting a gun in the city while blindfolded. chances are you will hurt someone and possibly kill them. And if they are picked up for drunk driving, it is likely that there were many time before that they just were not caught. At the very least, if they do not seriously hurt someone, they should lose there license for at least a year, and have some term of jail time. Any offenses beyond that, they did not learn their lesson and it is time to get very serious. Lots of jail time!

• I am not really sure what they should be.

However in New Zealand in the worst cases you could get

10 years jail time and/or a $20,000 fine.

The drinking age is 18 in New Zealand. However, you are not aloud to drive after just 1 drink if you are younger than 20. I think that age should be raised to 25.

• First offense you get punched in the face by the family members of a drunk driving victim

Second offense you lose your privilidge to purchase alcohol, and mark your ID to reflect that, and selling to those people would be handled the same as selling to a minor (plus some sort of a reckless endangerment charge for both persons, the seller and the purchaser alike)

Third offense you have to drive on the vehicular equivalent of a tight rope, hammer-smack drunk, over a pool of nitroglycerin, or liquid nitrogen, or something, while driving no more slowly than 80mph lest the car eject you straight up to land in the pool below

Any survivors of the third offense also have to have a blood-alcohol triggered pipe-bomb inserted into their rectum

• I like your second offense consequences a lot good ones

• "Second offense consequences a lot good ones"? Really? Are you drunk?

• I me5an as in good consequences, there's a fine for buying for minors so why not for people with dui offenses...

• Three strikes and you're out.

1st offense - loss of driver's license for 3 years and a fine of 5,000 or jail time

2nd offense - permanent loss of driver's license and a fine of 10,000 or jail time

3rd offense - death penalty

Any result of death would result in death penalty.

If people have a drinking problem, then they should seek help immediately. Otherwise, it is considered intentional even if they say it wasn't.

• I like it the way it is in Belgium: when you're only just above the limit you have to wait 6 hours to drive and you have to pay a fine.
    When you're significantly above you lose your license and the court determines when you get it back. Can be from 2 weeks to several years if you caused an accident in that condition.
    The only thing I don't like is that the limit is still 0.5 "promille"... in many countries there's zero tolerance and that's the idea I like. Driving means no drinking!

• First offence you should be put in the stocks and tramps get to throw their feces at you, second offence you should be banned from driving forever.

• Yuck but I agree with your 2nd

• It's a pretty repulsive punishment for a pretty repulsive crime, you'd have to be cray to risk going through that again and you definitely don't belong on the road! lmao

• That's true

• The current penalties in the USA is sufficient in my opinion.

• car impoundment and driving license cancellation for 6 months for first offense,
    imprisonment for further offenses

• i think texting while driving should be treated just like a dui. that'll teach y'all to stay off ur motherfuckin fone.

• Should be? Drunk drivers who continously drive drunk on purpose... They should Die instead of killing others on the roads

• unfortunately I think to the repeats it takes something tragic to get through even then.. it's unfortunate

• Dying in a car accident

• Death. Execute them in public by firing squad the very next day they're caught. They were careless, they could've killed multiple people, so they should be killed themselves. Anyone agree?

• You don't think that's a bit harsh I mean I agree they could've killed multiple people but it's still a human life?

• Is it bad that i kinda want u to get hit by a drunk driver after reading that

• should be Jail

• Well i think it shouldn't even be a crime because the sober people should know how to move out of the way...

• I think the laws on this are pretty fair except for the high fees.

• Do you think they should make them have the breathing devices in their cars

• And Jersey and maybe the two Carolinas.

• wouldn't surprise me

What Girls Said 3

• I think jail time is enough punishment.

• -jail time

• how much

• I wasn't asking because I wanted to do it, my movie theater question, made me have the thought for this question, which made me think of another, and eventually writing a Mytake, I also was watching drunk driving commercials

• lol ohhh... haha okay.

• Seriously people that drunk drive don't deserve to be alive. They need to go