Gay people aren't allowed to donate blood, should they?

They're not allowed to donate blood, do you think they should be able to?

Most Helpful Girl

• That is because they are more likely to have sexually transmitted diseases. 80% of HIV victims are gay.

Most Helpful Guy

• If you go to a blood drive there's a bunch of questions they screen you to see if you're able to donate. None of them necessarily mean your blood is actually unclean to be donated, but they don't have the time, manpower or equipment to verify every single donor is eligible. They need to make broad sweeping decisions to ensure no blood is contaminated.

Gays are statistically proven to be with more partners and have more unsafe sex. Nobody knows why, that's just what the medical data shows. So that is one of numerous factors that will prevent you from being able to donate.

What Girls Said 8

• oh look at that, a 25-29 anon. what a surprise.

• Can't even answer the question, just straight to attacking, how nice... and you're a master, ha! Bullshit

• because a master is supposed to dictate my personality is it?

• Isn't it because of the rise of HIV and Hepatitis in the 70's and 80's or something? I guess the reasons for it back then were pretty practical and safer for everyone but I think it's probably time to revise it

• Anyone without STDS or other bloodborne infections/illnesses should not be able to donate blood.

Any healthy person should.

It's an outdated rule that served a practical purpose when it was implemented (not to mention homophobia was huuuuuge back in the day), but I don't think it's necessary anymore.

• It's just gay males cause anal has higher chances of HIV infections. However, a lot of heteros do anal, so this rule is not very efficient.

• Yes, they should be, provided they pass the same screening criteria as anyone else. They need to not have participated in unprotected sex with at-risk individuals (sex workers, IV drug users, people who have engaged in high risk activities), and need to not be a sex worker or IV drug user themselves (obviously). Other than that, provided they haven't travelled to high-risk countries or worked in an abbattoir, they should be allowed to donate.

• wtf why not

• It was because of the AIDS/HIV thing in the 70's and 80's. Now, however yeah I think they should be allowed. You can get tested for it anyway.

• isn't that thing still going on?

• @COCOCHANEL Definitely not as much as it was before. Now we know that not just homosexuals can get it and there's often times treatment and ways to get tested for it. Back then it was misunderstood and largely an unknown.

• Yes it's time to revise this.

What Guys Said 20

• Yes, why not? They just should have a HIV test first, but this test should be valid for everyone, not only gays.

• Nope because of aids and HIV gays are one of the largest populations that have and spread the disease.

• I believe there isn't anything wrong with their blood. I just think they shouldn't be dehumanized like this, but in a way, this will protect them from being hurt by anti-gay people. If a really proud straight dude figured out he is being given gay blood, he'd problably freak out.

• Neither are Europeans or people from the UK.
    It is easier to eliminate high risk groups than spends millions of dollars on additional diagnostics.

• No gays should not be allowed to donate blood, because their blood is too gay. :D

• That rule is from a previous era of HIV just being discovered, that rule should be rescinded now.

• The government shouldn't have a role in blood services.

• I don't wants aids from guys nor girls, if they are clean i couldn't give less of a fuck.

• Wait.. They're not? I doubt this is even a fact lol

• It is depressingly true.

• @blonde401
      I know HIV was originally thought to be passed on by gay men because of the sheer number of them who had it. But even then that doesn't make sense why it would be an issue today. *shrugs*

• Same, I don't know why :/

• their blood can carry hidden aids so no, they should not be even considered, let alone allowed to donate or give blood.

• As long as they don't have STD's why not

• huh? In what country?

• No, nah, nope. Uh uh, hell nawl

• Who wants to carry gay blood in own body

• I don't know there might be a scared someone will get a gay gene..

• If they don't have HIV I don't see why not

• It's obviously for a good reason!

• Where you got this idea? Just it's insane.

• No, no, no, no, no, no. The medical profession isn't homophobic, gay people aren't allowed to donate blood for a very good reason.

• Yeah? How do they figure that out? Do they have an emblem in their shirts like the Jews did in the Nazi era?