I signed a lease for an apartment but couldn't get a cosigner, so I never turned in the signed paperwork. Does the lease still exist?

They have no record or proof of me signing the lease, so do I still have to live there? They don't have any proof of my signature on the lease. They only have my phone number and license number.

Most Helpful Guy

• They also know exactly where you live and have the keys.

Rental law varies by state, but they would definitely have a good civil case against you if you did something they didn't like, and they felt like pursuing it. Without paperwork, you might also be evicted immediately.

• I don't live there lol this was me signing for a new apartment for next school year 2016-2017. I don't have any keys or anything. We never got to that stage. They never saw or processed the signed documents. I left right away because I knew I wouldn't be able to afford not having a cosigner. And I took everything with me

• Then you will be just fine.

• Thank you for all of your help!

Most Helpful Girl

• Did they not have a signed copy of the lease?

• No I never gave it to them at all because I knew I wouldn't be able to find a cosigner. They have no copy of the signed lease. They did print the lease out with my name on it to sign all the necessary lines but I left and took everything with me

• You can do whatever you want with the documents, but they have your name and a copy of your license, so they will probably black list you on the rental market because you wasted their time.

• It's just a student apt. complex but thanks

What Guys Said 1

• No as you never gave them a signed document you are not bound to the contract

• Even if they know I signed it but kept it, they still can't hold me to it?

• no keep it for your records, especially if it isn't countersigned (they didn't sign them)

• Will do! And nope, they didn't countersign. They never looked over any of my paperwork because I left right away lol.

What Girls Said 1

• There's no contract formed, therefore no :)

• Even if the lease they printed has my name typed into it? Even though i signed it I didn't submit it. I just left and took everything with me

• The contract is perfected once the other party knew that you agreed. Since you didn't (you changed your mind), no contract :)

• Okay, I just wanted to be sure. Since I signed the lease, I thought that meant I agreed to it, but it can't hold up if theg don't have a copy of it