If an ugly person tells you you're attractive, do you say they're attractive too?

Are you one of those people that even when they don't find the other person attractive they say they are in order to not hurt them, or are you honest and tell them they're not attractive?

P. S.: When I say ugly, I mean ugly to you, so please no "beauty is subjective" comments.

• I tell them they're attractive
  • I'm honest and tell them they're unattractive

Most Helpful Girl

• I tend to find beauty in everyone so even if they're unattractive in my eyes I can look at their individual features and appreciate the beauty in them (like their eyes or smile). You don't have to return the compliment if it isn't genuine. I have a boyfriend so to stop compliments from guys getting awkward I try to keep it light hearted. For example, a few days ago at work my friend was telling me how pretty he thought I was, he's a shy guy and I didn't wanna hurt his feelings so I said "Thank you, you're also a pretty girl. You're a beautiful young lady." It made him laugh and the conversation moved on so no one got their feelings hurt. I'd usually do something like that.

Most Helpful Guy

• I would say thanks.
    I'm not an asshole. It must've taken her a lot of courage to tell me.
    I would feel sad though that an ugly girl said this since it would make me feel bad about myself. It would make me feel that I'm only attractive to ugly girls.

• Generally speaking, unattractive people do not find other unattractive people any more than the rest of us.

What Girls Said 50

• I don't say "hey, I think you're attractive too" nor do I say, "well, you're not attractive." I usually say "thank you" and leave it at that. And if someone is talking down about themselves saying "hey I'm ugly" or some other subtle way of trying to gain the compliment they want, I don't say anything if I think they are truly ugly.

• I don't tell them anything... They gave me a compliment... they didn't ask me how I think they look like...

• P. S. If they did ask and asked for an honest opinion - I'd tell them the truth... In a polite and respectful manner.

• I tend to think asking someone, "Are you attracted to me?" is different from "Am I attractive or ugly?"

Did you consider this person ugly or unattractive? I think there's a difference.

• @Bluemax Both - ugly and unattractive...

• I say thank you, and appreciate the compliment. Why make the situation awkward. Don't give a false compliment (if you don't think they are attractive) just for pity-sake.

• When people do this (mostly females), I have learned they just say this to receive compliments about themselves. If they say something nice about me, I'd say thank you and move on.

• Neither of those. I just say, "Thank you," and move on. I don't want to lie nor do I want to hurt their feelings unnecessarily.

• Neither. Just say thankyou and be polite.

• I would say thank you, there's no need to lie. If they ask me how they look I would just say "you're not my type". Period lol

• If they are ugly I met compliment them on their clothes, their figure, their charm, their accent, their confidence, the kindness, their intelligence etc...

• I rather they not say anything.

• I usually just say thank you. There's no point in lying and telling them they're attractive if I don't actually mean it.

• I say thank you and then find a way to change the subject before they realize a compliment wasn't returned.

• I say "Thank you, you're so sweet." If they call me attractive or whatever I usually think they're nice which makes them not seem ugly to me. No one is ugly to me unless they have an ugly personality.

• I would rather be honest, I know it's not very nice thing to say to them, but I don't like to play with other people's feelings :(

• I just say thank you. I don't really think anything else is necessary, haha.

• If I find them attractive: Oh thanks you're also very attractive
    If I don't find them attractive: Thank youuu <3

• I don't say anything at all if I don't find them attractive. I thank them for the compliment and that is the end of it. I don't feel the need to compliment in return, even if I do find them attractive. It would not feel genuine if I did not say it first and there is no reason to hurt their feelings by telling them that they are unattractive.

• I don't do either. I will tell them that they're a great person and appreciate the compliment.

• I will smile and say thank you. If they asked me how do they look. I will say I'm sorry but your a little below average. I'll probably be slapped but better than me lying to their face.

• I doubt you would be slapped.

What if this person broke down and cried?

• I will find something attractive about them to compliment them on honestly.

• I'll accept the compliment and say thank you but I won't be fake about complimenting back. Also, I'm not someone who would insult someone, you don't have to be brutally honest all the time!

• I just say thank you
    But I do that with anyone who compliments me
    Usually I only reply with a thanks AND a compliment if any of my girl friends tell me they like my outfit lol

• I don't want to seem like an egotistical bitch by taking someone's compliment, and then insulting them right in their face. It just doesn't seem right. Sometimes, little white lies are necessary to live life smoothly. Why risk hurting people for such insignificant little pleasantries?

• I think I would have to comfort them and tell them they are cute...

• I'd just say "Awe thanks, that's so sweet." & then don't mention their appearance. & like @WhatTheHellAmy if they asked me about them I would say they are not my type

• I'm not gonna say anything back unless they ask for my opinion on them. It's rude to me to me to just say they're ugly when they didn't even ask for my opinion. If they say I'm pretty, I'll just say thank you and go on with my life.

• I never return the compliment because its obvious its insincere. If anyone says "you're so pretty!" (Lol as if that happens) I'm not gonna say omg thaaaanks you too! Cause it just seems forced.

• I say thank you and complement them on something else. I don't believe I've ever told an unattractive person they were attractive or unattractive.

• Lo i would say thank you and walk off.

• I don't do either of those so I didn't vote. I just say thank you and tell them that it means a lot to me. No point in hurting their feelings or bringing them down or lying just to avoid awkwardness.

• I won't say they're unattractive if they didn't ask. I'll be honest if they asked, but I might lie if it's a good friend.

• More from Girls
    20

What Guys Said 36

• I'll reciprocate with a compliment but if I think they're ugly I won't lie and call them attractive. I'll just pick out their best feature and compliment that.

• it would be rude as hell to take their compliment, then slam them by calling them ugly. i'd sooner do A than B... but in reality, i probably would just thank them and not say anything back in return, unless i could pick out something complimentary

• I wouldn't say either... just say thank you and tell them they're really sweet.
    If I lie I might have to end up hurting their feelings later for no reason.

• I'm an honest person, but I don't feel the need to be like "thanks, but you're gross".

I'd be more likely to simply thank them for the complement.

• I'd curse myself for getting in the situation. But once they do it, I guess I'd just say "oh no, that's not true" or something like that in order to get a conversation about me going. And before the conversation could turn to them, I'd leave.

• No, I don't say it back.

• Nope. I take the compliment and say thank you. I don't feel the need to compliment someone who gives me a compliment

• I become suddenly deaf

• Vote C I don't say anything at all

... Besides, I'm honest, so I'm not going to tell her she's ugly as crap to me.

• What if she asks?

• @Bluemax Avoid question at all costs, lol. and then say...

... Wouldn't you like to know

... Not telling.

... Why does my opinion matter?

... I'm not personally attracted to you, but there is always someone who thinks your attractive.

... Your beautiful in your own way, there is always someone who thinks your attractive.

It's funny though, It's a question to where they really expect to hear one answer, you would think.

• Interesting.

• Neither. I would say thank you. It's not something that is necessary to reciprocate. In fact doing so would sound forced and phony, even if they are attractive.

• I say thank you and walk away

• I just say thank you and leave it at that, regardless of how they look.

• It's just that I first think that she have a bad taste 😂 then I say thanks and compliment her if she's attractive ❤
    And when someone text me then I read it twice sometimes thrice before replying 😁...

• I never compliment anybody back.

If I genuinely felt the need to compliment someone, I'd just do it instead of it being a conditional thing. If someone ugly says I'm attractive, I just brush it off because I already know I am.

• What if she asks?

• @Bluemax Again, my problem is her complimenting me only so that she can receive one back. It's like when your girl calls you to talk to you, and she really wants to say "I missed you a lot" but she's afraid of rejection, so instead she says 'do you miss me?', and maybe you don't actually miss her during that situation, but you've got to lie and say 'yes, I do' for her feelings. I don't like that; I don't like how manipulative and selfish that is.

So, if she's just trying to establish her visual worth by manipulating me, she can shove it. The only difference is the severity that I call her out on it which depends on whether or not I like her as a person.

• If they're not attractive to me then I'll just say aww thanks!

• Nah I just say "awww thanks. You're sweet"

• I just say Thank you, don't wanna say you look like a bitch straight away.

• I say thank you and leave it at that.

• Why do you have to tell them they're unattractive? Just say thank you.

• I just say 'thank you'

• "Why thank you!"
    "That is a nice shirt!"

• I would say something like "Maybe you're not attractive to me, but to someone else you might look attractive"

• I just say nothing. Not even thank you. I can't thank them for noting my superiority.

• If an ugly person tells you you're attractive, I say "thanks". That's it. I don't want to lie, but if someone gives you a compliment you don't have to tell them in their face that you wouldn't give it to them.

• If I don't find them attractive I'll just say thank you and move on.

• I picked neither. I don't feel a need to be phony and nor do I feel the need to be a dick.

• none of both, I just say thanks or something else nice I think is true and move on

• I only say thanks even when she is attractive.

• I just say thank you and move on.

• I would simply say, " I wish I could had said the same about you"

• More from Guys
    6