I have to do a presentation on why I think people turn to religion for comfort. Any suggestions on what I should say?

0|0
1|5

Most Helpful Guy

• Something inside of us makes us feel safer with set limits. It is well known that children playing in an unfenced playground will stay close to the school building. Once the same schoolyard is fenced kids play close to the fence.

In the same way for adults religion provides a safe boundary.

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 4

• Maybe something about needing to know they will see a dead loved one again. Or that evil people that escape justice in this world, will eventually face justice in the next. For example the idea someone can kill a child and live a full happy life afterwards with no consequences just makes a lot of people sick.

Also when they get desperate such as they have cancer and think they are dying, they will look anywhere for a cure, including in whatever religion they are most familiar with. At that point they may feel they are out of all other options. Believing in a god that shares your sense of morality gives people a sense of control, over things they can't really control. Good luck on your presentation.

1|1
    0|0
  • Religion helps people bring moral into their life and that makes them feel comfortable.
    They don't have to wonder too much is their behaviour is acceptable or not, they follow the rules of their religion to determine that!

0|1
    0|0
  • They can't reconcile with things like insignificance and mortality. Wishful thinking.

0|0
    0|0
  • Humans are too weak to accept responsibility for their actions so they then say that there's a higher power that guides them. Instead of realizing they did wrong they'd rather just believe that they strayed too far from the light of god

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 1

• They like to have some sort of belief to cling to. Or they like feeling as if a higher power will judge them so it helps keep them in line.

0|0
    0|0