How come you never hear about body shaming guys?

So I always see people defending a woman if someone says she's too fat or too skinny, or if someone says her boobs are too small, etc.
but how come I never see anyone defending men? You can't body shame against men? Like I always see girls calling a guy too short, or even talking about his dick being too small, saying he doesn't have any muscles. That's not bodyshaming?

Most Helpful Guy

• Because we can take it.
    You know, just because you get offended by someone doesn't mean everyone has to ACTIVELY COMPLAIN ABOUT IT.

(Looking at you, Mizzou)

Most Helpful Girl

• Of course it is body shaming.
    It's just that generally women are more sensitive about these issues.
    Men are as well, but they are expected by society to "hold it in", "be tough", or "be strong".
    If they complain the same way women do... then they'll be called "gay" or a "pussy".
    They will pretty much be looked at as less of a man.

I think people should try the best to be themselves and not live up to the standards of society.
    All of the images that are shown in the media are unrealistic.
    Even the people promoting those types of beauty don't even look like that themselves.
    Their photos are all edited to display a image that is far out of reach.

What Guys Said 16

• Guys can take criticism and see ways to improve their life. Girls find excuses and cry loudly of their hurt self-esteem.

• Because guy are expected to "get over it" and "stop whining" because if we don't, we're not "real men".

• Because people don't see it as body shaming yet. They see it as comedy because male body image is never stressed.

• It certainly is and happens yes. Always hear about how women are so supressed in society, but you can wonder too if the reason so many guys dont care to the same extent cause grown so used ot it. As well as used to being disposable. But overall though, more and more guys take these things to heart and also start to affect them more an more as well. Which is sad really, but even if it can kinda seem expected sometimes, guys aren't invulnerable either naturally.

• Girls are more likely to self conscious than man. Girls under rate themselves while guys over rate themselves.
    If a girl came up to me and told me I look disgusting, I wouldn't care.

• Guys are body shamed, it's just less addressed because society places so much value on a girl's appearance than a guys. Guys are body shamed mainly for their (lack of) height than anything else. I actually asked a question about this before:

www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q1695651-wow-do-women-really-hate-short-guys-this-much

• Because no one feels bad for guys. It's open season on us, so whatever our deficiencies, we'll get mocked for them. It's just the way it is. Guys are hypercompetitive with other guys (especially guys who feel at a disadvantage like little guys or losers), so they feel they gain an advantage with girls by making other guys look bad.

• well, guys are generally expected to get over it... so you won't hear many people defending guys on much of anything

• Yes but guys feeling don't count.

• that is not true it depends on the person. it can go the other way around

• Because it doesn't really get to us as often and when it does we tend to deal with it faster.

• Cause we actually don't care.

What I've heard

"How can you walk around topless when you don't even have abs"

"Why you wearing a tanktop without having bizeps"

"You are massive" - this one was for the lols

• guys don't dewll over citisim unlike girls who think about it 24/7 and probably shut out everyone coz some dickhead told her boor are small

• Yes, its very real in the dance community...

• Thats true haha

• Men aren't defended, period. Only women and children. Men are valued based on their power, if they're weak, they're viewed as worthless by society.

What Girls Said 5

• It's there but a lot of the time more women than men will complain about it and do something. Mostly guys just sit down and take it.
    I wrote a MyTake on that and I think it's bullshit how both genders get bodyshamed. Like "real women have ____" or "real men don't have ___" and I find that to be very very wrong. There is no WRONG way to HAVE a body.

• But there is an unhealthy way to have a body and there are things that are considered on whole unattractive (not that everyone will but enough to illicit a genrel response, like fat people, sure their are the chubby chasers out there, but most people find those who are overweight unattractive)
      Still though I think in this instance it's because men don't really care that much, we decide pretty early on if we care or not and that's pretty much it for life I guess.

• @bobwallice I did say that regarding the health and that guys don't really care.
      I personally prefer bigger boys.

• Yeah Im sorry, I'm being argumentative today, my bad.

• Huh? Body shaming goes both ways, to both genders. But I do see people stand up for guys. Not only online but IRL as well.
    Though not always, just as with women, not always will people stand up for them.

I think it's more prevalent to women because when was the last time you saw a "hot" guy advertising a fucking burger by eating it "sexually/seductively"? Not to mention when hot guys are used in this fashion, it's usually mocking or not taken seriously like the "sexy models" advertising everything.

Of course it's still wrong, but hot/naked men aren't being used to the extent of hot/naked women to sell. Though, they have been increasing, and that's troubling as well.

• i don't know why!

• guys think they are better than they actually are, girls under estimate themselves, thus, making them want attention from others telling them how nice their body actually is just to boost their confident levels

• Talk to them