Why are overweight people always trying to impose their ideology about them being "just curvy"?

Why are overweight people always trying to impose their ideology about them being

• They actually believe they are "curvy"
  • They are trying to mislead guys/girls online
  • They are purposely deluding themselves
  • They are only trying to console themselves
  • They know they are obese, but they can't admit the sad truth
  • Their parents and relatives are probably convincing them that they are "just curvy"
  • Maybe they've read such misinformation in some newspaper or a magazine

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• You are doing good work Mr anon. Fight the good fight!

-a fellow anti fat acceptance combatant

The truthful answer is BC they want to justify their shitty lifestyle. That is why.

What Girls Said 12

• They can't deal with the harsh reality that they're FAT. They're just lying to themselves cause they fail to accept the truth.

• When I was overweight, I hated my body, but my family kept insisting that I just had "curves," as did some of my friends because I think they would have felt bad telling me the truth. Eventually I tried telling myself that I was just naturally large and meant to have "child bearing hips," as one friend described them, so that I wouldn't feel compelled to hide my body all the time. It got to a point where I was nearing obesity though so I faced reality and seriously took on the challenge of losing weight and living healthier. The point though is that for me at least, telling myself I was curvy and such was a way of making myself feel better, even though it hardly worked.

• Yeah, you are probably right

• They are in denial.

• It's not all overweight people who do this.

• What other people do that?

• What other fat people? This question refers to most of the fat people only... but I'm not judging them, it's their choice.

• neither of the men are sexy.

• I can't be the judge of that, but ask the other girls :P

• How does it effect you? I'm just curious...

• They feel bad about themselves. You sound like an ass

• Nope, you sound like an ass, I was just asking a question.

• They're convicted curvy means fat. Just like this dad bod thing is now becoming a thing fat guys think they are.

• Curvy shouldn't mean fat, it should mean your natural body has a shape to it. I think most people use it because it sounds better than saying they're overweight. But I don't think chubby people should say it because it makes people think all voluptuous women are fat (and that's NOT true).

My body definitely has "natural curves." I have a medium frame (not skinny mini but not big). My hips are average, maybe a bit above and I have a booty and a large bust. Some women are skinny but have big hips.. both are "curvy."

I used to be about 20 pounds overweight. I never deluded myself into saying I was "just curvy." Yes, I had curves but I had extra fat too. I lost the weight and I could still lose maybe 10 pounds although I'm healthy at my current weight too.

Basically, you can be curvy and chubby or curvy and skinny but fat people shouldn't claim they're "just curvy."

• Every body has a certain shape... that's not disputable, but what kind of shape... that is the question... if the shape is very roundish... the person is obviously fat.

• Yeah. I think any girl can be curvy (skinny or fat) but that doesn't mean fat women are automatically curvy.

• Yep, I agree :)

• None, none of your options are correct.
    I believe everyone deserves to be equal, whether you're skinny, fat, obese, a cucumber etc.
    I don't believe it's bigger people that are trying to impose this, I believe its society.
    But just think, so what someone is curvy, fat, skinny, they can change how they look. But people who always make fun of these people, will always have those jackass personalities.

• I never said they are not equal... I have some fat friends, but they are kinda realistic, they know they are a bit too large, and it's not very healthy for them.

• Fat is a very negatively charged term in our society, so people don't want to be associated with it and will tend to use euphemisms for it such as "I'm just curvy" or "I'm just husky/a bigger person" etc. Language is powerful.

What Guys Said 14

• Or...

There is another possibility that you haven't thought of.

Consider this short script:

Larger Woman: "Hey there fella, you like what you see?"

Me: "Mmmm... Nice!"

You: [says nothing at all]

The simple lesson here is this:

NOT. EVERY. THING. IS. ABOUT. YOU!!!

(Most people pick up on this while they are teens. Four decades on and it seems you need a refresher lesson.)

As far as the so called misuse of the word "curvy", here is some things you should know.

When a man is actually attracted to larger women, using the word "FAT" ain't getting anybody laid.

When a man is attracted to larger women, he usually has a preference as to exactly how large a woman he's interested in. (Amazing thing I know, go figure -- guys have preferences.)

To facilitate making a connection between a woman of a certain size and a man that desires her, a number of descriptive terms have been developed over time. Women self describe using these terms -- interested men know EXACTLY what they are getting.

Some examples:
    Thick
    Plump
    Chubby
    Rubinesque
    Big Beautiful Woman (BBW)
    Super Big Beautiful Woman (SBBW)
    Super Super Big Beautiful Woman (SSBBW)

Oh yeah, and "Curvy", the term causes all the problems AND the term that applies to the least obese of women (still overweight though... that's the point).

• Yeah, I knew some tiny old guy in my neighbourhood who actually loved large women, very weird, but such guys are quite rare.

• Not as rare as you think. Just as there is a social stigma surrounding being fat, there is a similiar social stigma associated with finding these people attractive.

If you are in a social setting with 10 to 20 guys, and you start slamming on (women) being fat and this whole "curvy" issue, you can bet there is one guy present that is laughing just to get along.

You've shown him by your actions that he would be wise to keep his preferences in women entirely to himself.

• Maybe, but not necessarily...

• It's the PC society we live in, where people's self esteem is put above people's health. I don't care how shitty your self esteem is, but if you're fat and you don't accept that in order to change, you're gonna die when you're 60. If that's what they want, then go ahead, but I doubt most of them want to die of a heart attack at that age.
    They don't realize how bad for someone's health is to be fat.

Not accepting reality is more harmful than accepting it, even when it's painful, you can't ignore your problems.

• You know what... I used to be perfectly fine with fat people saying they're not fat.. they're just big boned... Now that they changed it to "curvy" its sort of became a pet peeve...

No bitch.. you're not curvy... you're FAT!

• I feel that calling a skeleton with skin stretch over it health is just as ridiculous and incorrect as calling a fat person , curvy. Soooooo

• Yep, you are right, for example, these two people are really too skinny:

https://travsd.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/6.jpg

images.smilesumo.com/.../...000578-302_306x718.jpg

It's not photoshop-ed, they are really skeletal looking people, really unattractive...

• @Ginnyweasley97 I'm sure you can find some research result but that doesn't Change how I look at this in any way. Science has to justify spending millions of dollars

• @Ginnyweasley97 Thats' right, so bye bye Ginny ;)

• Because calling themselves curvy is an activity that doesn't require movement.

• it's never really been something that bothered me. if fat people don't want to lose weight and would rather pretend that they're 'curvy' or 'big-boned' or something they can tell themselves whatever makes them feel better. if more men did this there would be less competition, in fact.

• It's more about positive reinforcement, saying negative things about yourself isn't healthy for one's self-esteem.

So u can say "consoling themselves (and myself too, i'm not a super fit guy)" is the best answer.

• Some genuinely think that they are, some just can't deal with the harsh reality, and some actually are curvy.

• I do it but only to joke around, I know I'm fat and overweight. Haven't met anybody in person though who actually believe their curvy when their fat though. Not yet at least.

• Well, I think "overweight" is too general and used too often to describe someone who is not "skinny". Too many people do not recognize "curvy" and simply use overweight as an umbrella term for everything.

• So, in your opinion, curvy is what? Average built? Medium built? Or something else?

• I guess that is up to me to decide.

• Yeah, it's your choice :)

• Fat people who call themselves curvy should commit seppuku.

• What? Because they're the only ones trying to impose their views on other people?

• No, they are definitely not the only one.

• You are mis-using the word "ideology" in order to promote your hate. I love curvy women.

• I don't "hate" them, I just don't find them attractive.

• Some do some don't. I live.