Is it rude to ask someone if they're gay?

by the way I'm not asking this for me. I asked because me and my friend were talking about how cute this guy was and I said "I think he might be gay though" and she said "He's not, I asked" and I thought it was pretty weird that she asked straight up like that since they don't know each other.

815

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes it is. I've been asked if I was gay before when I had chances to hump a girl and I declined. It really pisses me off that I must be gay because I don't become a shameless sex hound at the first prospect of getting ass. I have nothing against gay people and there's nothing wrong with them but the thing is I'm not gay.

Most Helpful Girl

• Many times the Flamboyant Ones are easy to Spot... I usually can pick out ones like this or even get a Hint when talking to them if they Act in Another sort of nature or even give me this Certain... Impression. I had a Gay boyfriend at one time who was more the Flamboyant kind but for awhile we made it work, as weird as it sounds.
    If you have the hots for someone who you are not sure of, don't say Anything.. His own Helpful hints may tell you he is Off Limits.
    However, if he gives you the clue that he may want more, it could also be just Friendship. Not making a pass will also tell you that he may either go for some Other Class or that he is just Not into a Real relationship with Any Class.
    Feel it out Further.. You don't want to offend anyone. You will know though, one way or the other, why he is Not into you.
    Good luck. xx

What Guys Said 14

• I'm gay and when someone asks if I'm gay I don't necessarily get insulted, but it's kind of awkward for me.
    I can see why a straight guy would get offended though

• Yes, it can be rude.

• Nobody ever asked me that. Two girls asked me if I thought they were lesbian.
    (they didn't know each other)

• The only reason anyone should ever wonder about another's sexuality is if they want to sleep with them, and if so, then it's appropriate.

• Yes it is, if someone asked if you were a dyke i doubt you'd be particularly happy, one for thinking it and two for asking something personal which has nothing to do with them...

• I wouldn't say rude, but some people might take it the wrong way and see it as an insult

• They only take offensive if they're homophobic. There's nothing wrong with asking it.

• When people ask me if I am Gay, I simply say:
    "Fuck off haha"

I'm not offended at all.

• It's not polite. Would you not hang out with them if they are? If no, then why does it matter?

• Yeah it kinda is

• ye kinda. i'd be offended if someone thought i was a fag

• depends on why you are asking

• Yes. Very Rude

Some people are just effeminate or very butch looking, but they're straight.

People mistake me for being gay sometimes because of the way I move, but I'm 100 percent straight.

• It's a bit forward

What Girls Said 7

• Yes, it is. You should wait until that person actually says something to you about his orientation. You could really offend someone otherwise.

• yeah pretty much they don't ask u if your straight!

• It s not rude because you particularly asked if he s gay.
    It s rude in general to ask straight up personal questions too strangers.
    I d be like, "excuse me who are you again."
    And "stop meddling in my personal business"

• I personally would not think it's rude. But others may. Society is too damn sensitive nowadays.

• I don't care if it is, I do it ALL the time. Their reactions are priceless

• It's a personal question, so it is rude.

• Maybe don't ask the person in public