Sexual consent class?

So I heard in some places it was mandatory for male students to take a sexual consent class in college.
What do you think?
Guys how would you feel if you had to take one of these classes

Most Helpful Girl

• I know more than a couple "normal" people who could've used a refresher on consent. I'd include both male and females, though.

A lot of people think that if you don't hit him or her, and simply climb on them while they're saying no... it's not rape. Or if she or he agrees to oral sex and you get horny and push onto penetration after your partner has said they don't want intercourse... It's not rape. Or if you're having vaginal sex and switch to anal, or start choking them or thrusting too hard and don't stop if they ask, it's not rape. Or if you seclude them in a car or locked room and make it seem like they have to fight you or walk in the middle of nowhere or give in to sex, it's not rape. Or if they're drunk to the point you have to move them around and pull off their clothes, it's not rape.

Some people think that anything short of the other person kicking and screaming is fair game. Even to the point that expressing that making sure you have consent is a big problem. Why should be that way?

Most Helpful Guy

• The fact that not understanding consent is even an issue in the first place make me ashamed to be human.

What Girls Said 10

• I think that's absolutely ridiculous. In my opinion, that's making a huge assumption that most men don't already understand what consent is. The majority of men already know that rape is wrong and if a girl says no, it's not okay to continue to force her. So making someone take a sexual consent class is just a waste of time. I also think it's entirely unfair to force only the male students to take this class.

Basically, whoever came up with this idea is sexist because 1) they're assuming that men don't already know the difference between right and wrong when it comes to consent and 2) they're assuming that women can't/don't rape or force themselves on men.

• I think that both men and women should be required to take such courses.

• I feel dumbfounded! I got a little stupider!

• Considering just how many people, both men and women, have no idea what consent extends to (and there are situations in which even voiced consent is not good enough), I'd like to see this class become mandatory for all sexes and genders.

• I would consider it to be a waste of money because a 2 year old infant should know what consent is.

• Best class ever

• everyone should take it. it's sad that this is what we've come to, but it's in the best interest of everyone's health.

• I highly guys with rapist thoughts would actually show up.

• I think it's a good idea but that females should take it too. Sexual advise and rape are not crimes that only men commit. They are who society focuses on, but they're not the only ones. Men have also been advised by women.

• I agree with it but I think everyone should have to take it, women can rape men too

• Only if the guy cooperates.

• An erection isn't consent. She might drug him, she might manipulate him into feeling like he can't say no, she might assault him while he's sleeping, etc.

What Guys Said 21

• I'd be a great student. I'd ask, 'What if she's into being bound and gagged you know, BSM stuff? How can we tell if she's consenting?'

• We should also have "don't steal" classes, "don't kill" classes, "don't assault" classes, "don't commit fraud" classes, etc... I'm sure if someone wags their finger at them all, the crimes just won't happen.

• One of the problems is the victim shaming. Another problem is that stealing, killing, common assault complaints, get priority from cops.
      Rape complaints don't: read this: www.huffingtonpost.com/.../...40000_b_5845052.html

• @jacquesvol I'm aware of the problem in the justice system, but in what way does this silly class help to that end?

• It might help to learn them to onderstand that they get the wrong message from those older people who excuse rape through blaming the victim.

• I have the same opinion that student George Lawlor: cowards that do this kind of shit will not attend this kind of classes, and if they do, they'll not give a damn about what is being said!

I heard that lots of people attacked the guy, calling him a raper and mysoginist. I've read a text about his opinion that said "can you imagine the agony of having someone invite you to a consent workshop when you are NOT A RAPIST?". Basically, some radical feminists can't understand how degrading it is for the average man to be seen as a dirty rapist, and thinking that some people teaching obvious common sense to normal people will save the world is just retarded.

Laws and punishment work way better then all this college common sense. We all know that raping is wrong, but some will not respect this, just like every other wrong thing in the damn world! But this kind of people are so into their utopias, they think you are on the side of the raper if you don't agree with their whole agenda.

• sounds retarded. I don't pay money out of pocket to take classes i didn't ask for. Unless its a prerequisite for another course, or my degree as a whole, it should be optional. Why force people to sit in a lecture hall to be reminded of something they already know? And the people saying "oh well we'd make women take the classes too" aren't really making a case for themselves as to why i should be forced to take a class like this. Forcing women to suffer through it too doesn't dilute the ridiculousness of the polcy

• Pissed, if the girls didn't have to (even tho, to be fair, consent violations are usually from the guy's side - no one said emotions are sensible).

... it'd probably be a good idea for women to take it too:p

• They go over this stuff during the orientation freshmen year for the guys. Basically they said they'd throw the book at us if we did anything past a hug if a girl had any amount of alcohol that day/night.

• Sex is and I would pull my son out of that school.

This world has lost its mind...

• Easy A Easy credit :)
    If it was recommended that I take it then I might be on some "yo what are you trying to say?"

• It's only fair if both guys AND girls must take it. To single out men is a mistake as women are just as likely as men to sexualy assault someone.

• I would feel personally insulted.

• It's like dating someone who wants full access to your phone, just because they've been cheated on in the past. You didn't do anything to deserve that treatment and it's insulting to have the presumption that you require it.

• Ya gotta be shittin'. Thats just an absolute waste of time in terms tertiary educaton speaking. That could have place in secondary education

• I think that's the sexist bullshit anyone could think of. I would abstain and protest it if someone tried to make me take a class on this.

• -gasp- screw you and I know what common sense (aka sexual consent) is, I'll pass on your class jack.

• It's about as ridiculous as making religious people take an anti-terrorism class.

• They're some of the dumbest fucking things I've ever seen.

• Waste of time?

• Pretty ridiculous if that's how society has come to men to act.

• As in, teaching you how to know if a woman has consent? That's a complete waste of time.

• I would be like "I'm a virgin with a small penis. I don't need this class," and walk out.

• Not even lying, either.

• Plenty of people aren't sure where the line of consent vs. not consent is. For example, if at a party, a male and female have each had 7 drinks of alcohol, are both drunk, her somewhat more than him, both are talking, he initiates, she says no, he initiates again later and she goes along with it, participating, is that consent or no?

I'm sure the classes wouldn't go anywhere near that, but instead proclaim that the men should essentially never initiate sex.

When people ask direct questions about where the line is, they are told that's 'asking for instruction on how to nearly commit rape'.

So it would be entirely useless.

• I would think they believe im stupid. It doesn't take an entire class to teach consent.