Why do People Humanise Their Dogs?

I don't get it... dogs are cool and all but i'm not particularly obsessed with them.

I have a lot of friends and they'll update their facebook status and be talking about what their dog wants to eat or do that day. How their dog felt and how it felt about particular people.

I also see people making their dogs personality about what they like or want to do.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yeah I find that funny as well. We have a tendency to humanise, not just dogs but other pets, animals and in extreme cases objects (like the door and cheese sandwich that has the image of Jesus.) I read somewhere about how evolution has trained our mind to read facial expression as a way of survival. Being able to read a human face, and it's expression helps you to discern friends from enemies, possibility of a fornication versus a physical Attack. And we tend to use this outside of humans as well.

I account this lack to lack of imagination, and a close minded mind that can't fathom the working of brains different from that of humans.

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 9

• I'm a big dog lover, but yeah I really don't get why people need to live tweet and Facebook everything their dogs do. Or their cats or any other pets for that matter. I know someone who actually made a FB page for her dog and someone else I know made a Twitter page for her cat.

I do make posts about my dogs on Facebook and I put pictures up (mom wants to see them, lol) but it's usually just about what happened at the dog park or on the walk, or if they did something bad. Other than that, people don't need to know the finer details of my dogs' lives and what they ate or what toys they like or their favourite snacks. Nobody cares. I only share that info if someone asks me about it.

It's the same with people and their babies and kids. Especially new parents - they're the worst. Posting shit about how their kid did their first poop or something and what a milestone that is.

• well some people actually consider their dogs to be another being or member of the family, so they treat them that way.

• Because dogs are the most amazing things on this planet.

• I don't know. I have a friend that humanizes her pet baby iguana. I know someone who humanizes their pet snake. Who cares.

• What @dandeus said. And keep in mind, dogs are my favorite animal.

• Some people really connect with animals. I am one of those people. 😻

• See I never understood it till i got a dog.

• there is a severe lack in human affection
    and people pretend to be cold and that they want to be 100% alone... etc all that "im soo different and cool" stuff

and that's the result... severe lack of human affection... which they get out of their pets

• Dogs are better, but @Thames prefers cats 😼 Dogs Are Cooler 🐺🐶🐾

What Guys Said 5

• desperation for an emotional connection that they're not getting from humans, so they imagine it in their animals.

I love my pets and bond with them, but it's foolish to anthropomorphize them.

• Dogs actually do have personalities. They also know how to be spoiled about what they eat and can even give you attitude. Animals aren't as dumb or clueless as many people believe.

• Humanising dogs is at least ok. Dehumanising humans is the issue.

• I had to put mine down yesterday as he was painfully dying of cancer. The last emotion I saw in his eyes was all to human

• Because my dog is smarter than most people I know.