Are people who block others for disagreeing with them just like NAZIS?

Why yes, yes they are. Nazis did a lot of information control in their regime so that they'd never look bad, never seem like they made a mistake, and could push whatever kind of bullshit propaganda they wanted without anyone having a voice to disagree

Do you think if someone blocks you, they have that in common with a Nazi? Don't you think a Nazi would block you if you said that "Some Jewish people are nice and some aren't?"?

So, as a society, should we or should we not, treat people who block others just for disagreeing, as Nazis? (Blocking for abuse is different)

Most Helpful Girl

• Silencing criticism isn't an exclusively Nazi thing.

Politicians, feminists, religious folks, schools and teachers, the media and many MANY more practice this bullshit on a daily basis.

• Not exclusively, but it's one of those things America USED to be against. WE USED TO KNOW IT'S A BAD THING TO BE SHAMELESS AND TACKY

What Girls Said 13

• Ever heard of Godwin's Law, or Reductio ad Hitlerum? Your question's an example of them.

Comparing trivial things like someone blocking others on a silly website to what Hitler and the Nazis did, which was horrific and enormously complex and calculated, just invalidates the argument or point you want to make. It's too ridiculous.

I've never blocked anyone, never saw the need - but those who have, they're not Nazis. Far from it.

• I'm not so much comparing it to the atrocities that the Nazis have enacted. Just saying that the Nazis are the most famous example of a group that used information control and propaganda

• Okay, I'll give you that. I had a character limit before the question would go off the page

• But the actual question itself and NOT THE HEADLINE, doesn't state any of that. You can't read things at face value.

• Yeah some are!

• Well never thought of it like that, but ya you're right, people who can't deal with criticism or admit they wrong, just like nazis, or most religious institutions

• I just had to thumb this up because it's probably the most matter-of-factly and genuine/candid post I've read in awhile. It just gives the impression that you thought about it for a minute before you posted and didn't have any other agenda when you posted

• Sometimes it's just blocking because the other person keeps spamming and posting things like " YOU ARE WRONG OWIEFIHEOVNDOVEVIQBLCKJCQSKNDEQJRBVIUBEQLKJBLKJVBQLKJVBQLEKJRBVQsdkjebvkjebvbrUbvjdbckdcs dxjnROVQRVUERIUVEIUVIEUVBJDBCKJQSDCIJBVUBEQIVUBERIuBVEIRUBVIdckjscoweiheiohfiwhfoiweh"
    No one wants that filling their inbox because someone is acting like a child.
    And Nazis wouldn't block you, they'd track you down and kill you... so it's a quite different. I think that comparison shows some insensitivity to the atrocities that were committed in the Holocaust. This website is a VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY trivial thing compared to lives being lost so I think it's a disrespectful and immature comparison.

• Not to mention organized government propaganda is world away from a stupid internet fight, them blocking you doesn't silence what you said or what others can see it just means they don't want to argue with you anymore and they would like to move on.

• I feel disrespected that you didn't bother to read this topic. I never said they are "as bad" as Nazis. I said they have something in common and they do~

• Way to trivialize the atrocities. A+ for being a terrible person.

• I don't think you understand what the word trivialize actually entails. I never said these people are "as bad" as Nazis. I said they had something in common~ Repeating myself~

A+ for being a shortsighted person though

• I still don't understand why you think bringing up Nazism is appropriate when there are multiple other (less offensive) examples of media control. Like China and North Korea for instance.

• I don't see why one of those should be more offensive than the other except society tells us to feel that way. I just had a kid tell me that 9/11 was a long time ago and people should get over it.

I also can't think of a more well known example than Nazis. Not everyone is aware of what's going on in North Korea or China, but Nazis are shoved down our throats every day since birth

• If anything shaming others just because they blocked you is worse in my opinion.
    They have every right to block and ignore you.
    Get over it.

• ^So it's a bigger problem to point out someone is a Nazi than being a Nazi?

• Have fun trolling, lol.

• You're the one having fun trolling at this point, girl, and you might not even realize it. You have nothing constructive to say anymore, just being dismissive. Can't disagree because you lack the verbal skills to make any points or counter any of mine.

You have fun trolling, sweetheart. You have fun~

• That's an extreme comparison. The Nazis heavily censored news and entertainment in German but they dealt with opposition by inhumane mental and physical tortured and death. People who block don't pose any physical or mental threat to you. They have their reasons to block but I highly doubt they're malicious. Anyways, this is the internet. If you're sensitive, then forums aren't for you.

• I don't think you really listened to what I had to say. I think you're paying too much attention to the emotions you're seeing in the post and not the actual words and their implications

• I get on here once every month or so and then don't get on for a long time again. How many posts have you made since this one 3 days ago?

• honestly don't know. it's not like i keep count of them sir

• If they are truly only blocking for disagreement, they're more than likely just weak-minded.

And while I see your analogy regarding political propaganda, I probably would have refrained from comparing them to nazis personally. But... i do smell what you're steppin' in. :)

• What's sad is, just like Nazi propaganda, there are still some other people who believe the lies and get lead astray. The people who got lied to by the Nazis and told it was for the good of the people. A whole generation who learned ALL THE WRONG LESSONS is the real problem

• Well I plan to be one of the other half. :)

Have a career, pay my taxes, and raise up kids that are responsible for themselves and their actions.

Those are my intentions anyway...

• Well I hope it works out for us, but I doubt it, because as the economy crumbles further under people who won't work because they're too offended by everything that they need their safespace... it's not going to be good.

The way the economy works, we're all in this together. We are our brother's keepers, and if we don't keep our brothers, we're going to be alone in a field with no hope for survival on our own. Their won't be a middle class. Middle class jobs won't be needed because the low-class jobs will all be outsourced. They won't need a manager because all the work is now done in China or Mexico or somewhere else.

We either stand together or we fall together. That's how countries work and economies work.

• I agree with @heavenonearth...

I swear the people of gag just keep getting more and more ridiculous

• Here's a funfact for your browsing. The majority in any given situation is often wrong, so if you ever find the majority agreeing with you, you should double check and make sure. Just food for thought as you continue to browse this website about finding as many people to agree with you as possible~

• Presumably these people aren't going around murdering people & putting people into concentration camps. Thanks for belittling the horrors of the holocaust.

• Thanks for not reading and being overly offended over nothing. I never said they were "as bad" as Nazis. I said they have something in common. Am I lying? No? Then you have nothing to say

• Well you breathe air. So did Hitler. Wow, you have something in common!

• Yeah, except my breathing air isn't inherently hurtful to other people mentally. My breathing doesn't set a bad example and I doubt you've read the drawn out discussions about this I've had in other responses~

• what made u think i get no attention?

u r the guy with Asperger's Syndrome, right... well i just answered ur question too

(i am from question u just answered)

• By blocking someone you're not stopping them from saying what they want, you're just opting out of seeing it. Which is fair; freedom of speech doesn't mean people are obligated to listen to you :')

What you're arguing is kind of similar in my opinion to people who are against trigger warnings.. Like.. Some content is going to be very distressing for some people and can even affect their health if they suffer from anxiety attacks or something similar. Those people don't deserve to get hurt. But other people will want to see the content. So putting trigger warnings on stuff so the people who don't want to see it so that they can avoid it and be safe is by far preferable to censoring it completely

• No, you're stopping them from commenting on your propaganda and proving them wrong. You're stopping them from questioning your view, just like the Nazis did, so that you'll look better

• Okay then, so what you support doing is taking more money out of the pocket's of CEOs and putting it into the hands of customers.

I think people's idea of what a "living wage" is has changed. A living wage is just that. There is no room for netflix or things you want. It is simply enough to survive on.

• You cannot afford Christmas on a living wage. That's a luxury.

Regardless, raising minimum wage won't help with that, and they don't understand this because they don't realize that the economy is a system that's graded on a curve.

• Nazis are bad people

What Guys Said 14

• Being continental European, I don't like the use of the word "Nazi" in this sort of context. Unfortunately, most Americans are way too relaxed about talking about Nazis or calling people Nazis or making jokes about the Nazis etc., it's something rather trivial for you it seems. It's easy for you guys to do that because you didn't really experience the whole thing.
    Here in Europe, especially in continental Europe, we don't use the word "Nazi" for these kind of silly situations. It's a very dark spot in our history and we consider it much too serious to talk about it so lightly. I also don't appreciate people making the Nazis look like something rather trivial.
    Sure, the Nazis silenced people who disagreed with them but so did many other ideological movements. It's nothing exclusively Nazi-ish. Also, just because somebody is being childish doesn't mean he is a fascist. If you think so, you don't really understand what the Nazis were like. Blocking somebody because they disagree with you is simply childish and immature. That's it. I would advise you to use the word Nazi very carefully.

• I would take your advice, but it detracts from basic common sense to say that. "You can't compare them to Nazis". If you see it as childish and immature to point out facts like that these two groups have something in common, then I'd say you get offended too easily. I'd say the majority of society gets offended too easily because they lack the brain power to have complex thoughts.

• I don't think I get offended too easily. You just have to understand that here in Europe, we're much closer to the whole thing. And just because there is one small similarity doesn't make these two groups the same. Overall, they have very, very little in common. Blocking somebody on the internet because you don't like his/her opinion is not the same as torturing and killing millions of people. That's like comparing a rude waiter to a mass murderer. Sure, most mass murderers are also mean people but it's silly to say that the two people have truly something in common.

• These kind of people aren't nazi's this is simply horrible to say
    These people would at most be ignorant to reject a opinion or argument wich they refuse (or cant) discuss in civil way
    these kind of people often think thier opinions = thier personality wich ofc isn't treu
    And they think disagreeing with them is a personal attack, cuasing you to be unable to reason with these people or change thier mind

But Nazi's? thats a bit over the top buddy
    Nazism is something MUCH MUCH bigger then this and totally irrelivant to this topic
    Heck Hitler WAS able to chnage his mind about certain topics.
    But if you would compare ingornace to nazism then you sir need a reality check becuase nazism was MUCH worse then ignorance

• I didn't say they were Nazis. I said they do something that Nazis also did. Is that or is that not a fact?

• Not really. People who block others like that, are just dumb and immature. Can't really compare them to Nazis. That's a bit extreme.

• Just saying they have something in common with Nazis. They both try to control information so they look like they're always right and so they can push their lies on to other people

• Well... when you put it that way, I guess you are partially right. But people who block others don't go around mass-murdering, like the Nazis did. So I somehow feel that the comparison is not that accurate.

• Still, would you want to have something in common with a mass murderer? Would you want to know at all that you had an even slightly similar mindset?

• Did you really just pull a Reductio ad Hitlerum?

Hey, even Hitler ate sugar. tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HitlerAteSugar

Personally, I won't block someone that disagree with me, but they have that right and It may just be that they don't like you or what you have to say, some people take things much more personally and blocking someone gives them that satisfaction, I couldn't care less.

• It's actually Godwin's law, but no, I didn't.

Ignoring things you don't like to hear makes you a baby and not an adult.

• It's the exact same thing. One is on a personal level and one is on a national level

• I really don't see how you can't understand that it's not.

If I personally hate a TV channel, so I block the channel, I CHOSE not to watch it, that's not infringing on the channel's providers right, I wasn't going to listen to anything on that channel even if it was on. But if the government shuts that channel down because it's bad for their reputation that's controlling information, I can't get that channel now even if I wanted to.

So if someone is blocked, the person who blocked you wasn't listening anyways. They can still tell everyone else what they think, just not that person who doesn't care to hear it.

• unless those people who are blocking are also committing genocide then no they are not like nazis

• If I enslaved them and killed them and their families I would be like a Nazi. Which, I've been tempted to do by the way. Lol

• If you really knew what the term Nazi actually means...
    Following your programming calling people Nazis here and there. Very smart.

• Flat out that's something these people LEGIT have in common with Nazis. They do it, and Nazis did it. Just stating the facts~

• Yes, Im sure only the Nazis did that. The Islamists don't do that at all today, the Soviets didn't do that either, the Religion in the Medieval times didn't do that either, your boss in the company your working for doesn't do that at all, your school teacher never did that when you disagreed with him... it's just Nazis everywhere because you were taught to think so.

• nope, many types of people don't know how to tastefully disagree. :-P

• Us, they are the same in the way both them and Nazis breath oxygen.

Hope you're trolling

• They are also the same in that they practice information control to make it look like nobody disagrees with their propaganda.

I hope you're trolling, because it takes a lack of common sense to not see how those two things are the same

• They are blocking information to others if they've written a horribly biased propaganda-esque mytake that wrongly influences how even one person thinks. That's a textbook example of "blocking information to others"

• That's not blocking information though, juste promoting Thier own opinion. Id someone was to post something, (whether right or wrong) delete every other post on this site that disagreed with them, then took action to remove posts all over the internet as well as made it punishable to disagree with them, then yes. It would look like the start of Nazism.
      Currently, I see this as someone not wishing to include you in a discussion.
      by the way, Im sorry for starting the troll thing. It was childish

• Why the fuck do I visit this website.

• I think comparing most people to "nazis" is silly and stupid.

• I think calling yourself a Spartan is stupid.

Do they or do they not have that in common? Do they both practice information control? Yes or no? That's all I'm saying

• It does sort of help. It puts the idea out there into the zeitgeist. If I've learned anything about people from my time on this earth, it's that they don't care if something is logically sound so long as it's emotionally appealing. If the idea is out there, someone will latch onto it or they'll absorb it on a subconscious level.

• Exactly, emotions. I understand while it's emotionally appealing to an audience, at times, it won't be to your opponent.

• I don't know I get blocked and deleted on here so often so fuckin pathetic

• I block to abusers only... else ready to prove whatever it is

• People who block others for disagreeing think they have a right to censor.
    www.spiked-online.com/.../censored_gag_woman.jpg

G@g gives them the tool to gag others. A bug in the software or a way to attract a certain kind of people? I don't know.
    (Meanwhile, in countries like Turkey and many others, censorship is considered normal.)