Why do a lot of women seem thristy for male friends, but guys aren't thirsty for female friends?

I never figured this out... I never knew a guy that has insisted, or was very thristy to have platonic friendships with females like I've seen with women especially women who are already taken. What is with this obssession?

Most Helpful Guy

• It's so easy to be friends with girls. Literally EVERY girl is eager for you to sign up to be an emotional tampon. Seriously

• I think this may be the best answer overall.

• lol the only reason all my friends are guys is cuss I'm a tom boy and dont fit in with girls lol

What Girls Said 16

• Simple. Men know all women are crazy.

• I am thirsty for friends in general regardless of gender. I would like to have a friend to talk to and care for. I never really had a male friend but I did know a few guys. I am assume guys think we are using them emotionally but to be honest is that what friends are for to hear you out and rant like crazy. Although, in real life i would never rant hahah probably just let you talk... Eh... those girls that need attention from guys and love to have them around are looking for validation they grow out of it and once they learn to care and love themselves and learn how to handle emotions on their own... but its a hard journey... this year i can truly say I am happy than years before although not perfeect!

• I've always had male friends, it's never been because I'm "thirsty" but rather a lot of girls aren't into my brand of humor or video games, so I get along better with guys.

• It isn't an obsession.

But anyway I can have a guy friend without wanting to fuck him or date him. A lot of guys tend to see women as either potential gfs/lays or nothing at all.

I can be friends with guys... I have a lot of guy friends and I have a lot of fun w them.

• this is not true. asking a question doesn't automatically make the content true. and what does 'thirty' have to do with friendship. sounds like you're envois so are trying to put a negative spin on friendships.

there's 100% no way you can prove this assertion is true. the only purposed is to try to make yourself feel better as a ';guy' which doesn't even mean anything. women and men are not groups. you have to actually be affiliated with something to be a group.

are you talking about women drs compared to men drs. or women who live in argentina compared to men whoop live in argentine. women vs men doesn't _mean_ anything.

also people who form friendships with people they are attracted to its a smart move. relationships or sex or both can develop and if nt you increase your social circle with other people you could be attracted to.

trying to make it look like women are neeedy for making friends with people they can potentially fuck is kind of silly considering you probably want sex.
    also if it was proven women could make friends with men more easily than men can make friends with women, this can mean women are better at attracting friendships have better personalities and make better friends. women tend to have more friends period. not just with men. ouch.

• I haven't really noticed that tbh.

• Me: Yo Missy help me in a fight.
      Missy: "Runs away"
      Me: Yo Missy help me move this heavy table.
      Missy: Table falls on Missy
      Me: Yo Missy let's talk about science.
      Missy: Ermmm... is science Justin Bieber?

That people is why most men don't want female friends.

• @Aeon_Flux_21 wow you're sexist

• We get tired of other girls. Sometimes it's just nice having a platonic guy friend. I don't really see why this is a problem. As long as it really is platonic and innocent. Women who are in a relationship, don't automatically suddenly become no longer allowed to have male friends. That's controlling.

• Because guys are looking for only sex and girls are looking for a relationship that does not include sex

• I have never experienced this.

• A lit of girls find girls problematic and they don't want to deal with stereotypical things that come along with having a female friend. Plus it gives them bragging rights and makes them look admire.

• Because men can't have platonic relationships with women.

• I should've gone anon because when you argue people always start talking about age.

I'm pretty "boyish" if that's how you like to phrase it so I guess guys don't feel as awkward. by the way. Some 14 year olds aren't stupid. I admit that there are a fuckton of really stupid kids but there are some who actually has brains.

• @FatCatLady sweetie, I never said anything about stupid and am sorry you took it that way. It's just that boy/girl relationships at 14 are very very different than age 20+ That's just a fact. But again sorry if you took it the wrong way.

• Most of the females I've ever known had predominantly female friends in the inner circle and then some guys and other females in the outer circle. Females just seem to have a bigger network of friends. One thing I remember that guy friends were better for is being action oriented. They bring a sense of adventure and fun to the group. I've never thought guys as a generality made better friends on an emotional basis, though. Tuere are some girls I see with guy pals they rely on, but they aren't the norm...

• I think it's because I'm more guys like than girly girl

• It's just the in thing to want guy friends. Having guys you aren't dating to hang out with and talk to is a weird girl-status thing. Like you guys and sleeping with girls, but not as bad. Though there are girls who genuinely get along better with guys.

There's no "cool" factor for guys who have female friends though, it's seen more negatively in your spheres as being "friend-zoned" and who wants that? There's more positive responses to hooking up and having sex with girls than being friends with them. It's the opposite with women.

• I neither want male nor female friends!

• LOL I can't wrap my head around your concept of being thirsty...
    Being friends with someone depends entirely on the kind of person the other is. It's all about that 'click' that happens when you like someone as a friend.
    My guy friends helped me look at things from different perspective and my girl friends are awesome because we have so much in common.

So there is no thirst. It's all about the frequency you are tuned to. The frequency matches and beautiful friendships occur.

What Guys Said 16

• girls like friend'ing guys for the attention and keeping the options open

some also prefer being friends with guys for less drama from girls

guys dont typically get tons of girl - friends because of drama / it usually isn't there intent in the first place to be friends.

some guys like being friends with girls just like girls do with guys as they may prefer the more social environment.

I think these are pretty large generalizations, but as you get older, especially when you're married - there comes a fine line between being friends with a guy/girl and it turning into something more. When you're younger though, not a big deal.

• Women are naturally insecure, have low self esteem and constantly need attention and validation. If you don't believe me the proof is in pudding, go on any social media website for five minutes and you'll see that I am right.

• My sister got "mean girl'd" when she was in high school, now she is VERY untrusting of other women and strongly prefers male friends.

My problem with female friends is that once they get serious boy friends your history, like your friendship meant nothing, so I've stopped putting in effort to be friends with women. It's to bad because female friends can be amazing in ways male friends can't but it hurts when you just get dropped so easily.

• Wow, this is a very nice response.
      Very true.. I never really realized this but it is true. I think I am guilty of this... however, I guess my friendships were always with men who were interested as more than friends. While I would not mind just having a male friend, they always seem to be interested in more, so it's a pity :s
      But I think overall I've been a bad friend - dropping friends or not being as active once or after getting in relationships.

• Men are not catty towards each other like women can be, so we make great friends.

• Girls want male friends because they want to avoid female drama and cattiness.

Guys are more hesitant because they know they'll want more and don't want to get "friend-zonned"

• Because they get reassurance from making their BF's jealous. Plus, they like the extra attention they get from their male friends.

• This is all a result of gender segregation.

• tbh I find the opposite to be true as I would be willing to do this but most women do not seem interested in a more platonic relationship.

• i've seen guys insist on having platonic relationships w/ females... thus having many.

they're gay.

• Well, that makes the statement that platonic relationships between males and females is impossible, false. You can't technically say that without lying.

• @orphan
      Read my previous comment more slowly. I said something different.

• @Drednaught

got me as a victim to your double looking negative. i see what you meant now.

• Im thirsty AF!

• I don't know.

• Because it's actually women who keep harems in this species.

• I'm always thirsty for female friends! That's the beginning...

• Guys who have a crush on a girl make the 'perfect fake friend' who listens to all their troubles and runs around doing them favors and never criticizes. Hot women can have those orbiters easily, and at the same time, other women are sometimes bitches to them out of jealousy.

So their choices are 'jealous bitches' or 'bunch of suckups'. They don't notice they're suckups because most guys treat them that way. They just think they get along better with guys.

As for guys, most of them, they are the one chasing their female friend, so it's a pretty crappy friendship, and if they have one it takes all their time, so they wouldn't have time for a group of women like that. If they wanted a group to hang out with, odds are they'd go for other guys who are more 'fun'.

The equivalent of the woman with a bunch of male servants is a guy who is really attractive. In that case he doesn't accumulate female friends, he accumulates friends with benefits.

• Wow, I then think I am that woman with a bunch of male servants :
      I seriously need more female friends then :s or just friends :(

• Well then you haven't met me then.

• Though I wouldn't say I'm thirsty.