Agree or disagree: You don't battle diseases, you get treated for them?

Battles have winners and losers
Diseases have victims and survivors

• Agree
  • Disagree

Most Helpful Girl

• people anthropomorphize diseases. it's what humans do.

What Girls Said 5

• I agree with the above.

• I believe that most cancer patients feel as though they are fighting a battle whilst undergoing treatment.

• Why does it seem like that rhetoric is most often used with cancer. Also, they're not "fighting" the cancer the treatment is. dyingmatters.org/story/cancer-illness-not-battle

• This might be true for something like the common cold, but for chronic illnesses (like diabetes or cancer) there is a conscious effort taken to recover and manage symptoms.

A diabetic must consciously check their blood glucose levels, then consciously adjust them with insulin injections.

• But my question@asker is does it hurt anyone or really matter that we do that to disease or natural disasters?

• Verb definition of battle: " fight or struggle tenaciously to achieve or resist something."
    It fits well enough.
    Anyway its just an expression why do you care?

• But you don't "resist" you endure.

• What? Didn't say you were implying anything

• I was being sarcastic

• Victims are the losers and the winners are survivors.

• That's six of one and half a dozen of another...

What Guys Said 3

• I agree, but in our culture we like to build up people that we feel sorry for, so that we don't look insensitive. It is currently politically incorrect to not act like you care. We are so afraid of being seen as insensitive that we often over compensate and act like they are heroes instead of just normal people, dealing with a shitty hand life dealt them. Your body will battle the disease regardless of your feelings on the matter, so clearly people with a disease aren't any type of warrior.

• The immune system does what it can to combat disease's so I disagree

• Your immune system does most of the work no matter what the treatment so I would say you are battling them.