Who here is also a true bilingual?

note: you are not bilingual if you just randomly leaned a language that is of no relevance to your life. like if you studied Spanish in school for 8 years.. even if you know Spanish really well, that is not bilingualism.

a TRUE bilingual grows up with 2 languages from the day you are born, essentailly giving you 2 mother tongues. most likely these languages are your parents native language and of course the language of the country you were raised in. if you studied a language, you are not bilingual.

i speak English and hebrew both perfectly. we always spoke hebrew at home when i lived in america, so my hebrew was always great. but then a few years ago when i moved back to israel it really became perfect. not surprize there. before i moved back to israel my hebrew was still great but when i had to emotionally express myself i usually was at a loss for words. i was never able to REALLY explain or describe something in hebrew either.

what about you guys?

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm trilingual.

My native tongue is Russian as I was born to a Russian family. I was born in Lithuania (back when it was still part of the USSR) and thus learned the local language because I grew up there.

I learned English watching Cartoon Network from a very young age which of course gave me the ability to make English my personal bitch by age 5.

So basically I grew up speaking 3 languages, all at the same time when chatting with my brother as we tend to mix words from all three to give our delivery more oomph. I'm sure you're guilty of sliding a few English words into Hebrew and vice versa - sometimes not even intentionally. :p

• wow thats really interesting. sort of similar to my grandma and grandpas life story. they were born and raised in syria until around the age of 15. back then, syria was ruled by the french. so at school they were only allowed to speak french, between friends they spoke only arabic, and then when they moved to israel and started a family, they spoke only hebrew.

but yeah i always do that, especially when im speaking to my best friend who is also just like me with languages. we speak like 70% English between us

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm not a true bilingual, but I'm a native speaker in Dutch and French. (and rather fluent in English and German) At 17 or so I was a sailing coach, teaching my pupils in both languages.
    My son is a true bilingual. He heard both languages from day 1 and used both when he started speaking. He's a math teacher and taught/teaches in Dutch, French and English.
    My 5 month old granddaughter is bilingual too.

What Girls Said 19

• I don't know where you got the idea about what a "true" bilingual is... but the definition of bilingual is "noun: a person fluent in two languages."

I'd say if someone took Spanish for 8 years he spoke is fluently - hence bilingual.

I don't know where you got that nonsense about having to know it since birth lol

With that said, I took french for 2 years in high school and am by no means bilingual :P

• There's no such thing as "true" bilingualism. If someone has taken the time to learn another language that is not their mother tongue, they are bilingual. They don't have to grow up speaking two languages to be bilingual. That's just silly.

Anyway, I'm trilingual. I speak English from my father's side, French from my mother's side, and Swedish because of my boyfriend. I was raised to speak two languages, but even if I wasn't and decided to learn French or Swedish later on in life, I would still consider myself bilingual.

• I guess I am. My parents and most of my family speaks mainly Spanish. And living in the US, I speak English.

• Parents were from Taiwan, grew up speaking Mandarin, Canto, Taiwanese, and English cuz I was born in murca. Tell me I'm not at least bilingual. I dare you.

• I speak spainsh and ennglish!

• Well, according to your definition yes I'm truly bilingual, I learnt French and Arabic at the same time and spoke both at home.

• Well I grew up speaking three languages at home with family. Urdu, Punjabi, and English.

• Well, from the dictionaries definition sense of bilingual I am. Japanese and English :) From your definition no, I learned Japanese over the course of 13 years. Been working on German, Spanish, French and Latin for about a decade as well.

• There is no such thing as true bilingual.

Anyways i speak indonesian, English, sundanese and javanese.

• am trilingual i speak 3 languages Kreol/French/English

• I speak English and Puerto Rican. My grandmother was Puerto Rican and she spoke it around me all the time So I picked it up

• I'm multilingual, I can speak Montenegrin, English, Croatian, Serbian and Bosnian 😎

• French mother and English father.
    I grew up in France but my dad did not speak one word of the language so I had to learn both

• I'm bilingual, Spanish and English.

• Yes, I am "true bilingual".

• Spanish and Portuguese

• I speak English and Spanish :)

• I am bilingual. I grew up speaking both English and Spanish

• English and Spanish!!

What Guys Said 12

• I started learning English when I was 4, so I've been able to speak it for 16 years already, therefore I do consider myself bilingual.

• What's all this "true bilingual" talk?

Learning a new language in adulthood doesn't gain you entrance into the cool kids club?

• haha no. listen.. when you speak and you're explaining something, you are speaking using emotions. words and tonality are tied to emotion and thus you create speech. when you LEARN a language you dont have that.. you just know how the word sounds and you create the sound with your mouth and you say the word. say you learned Spanish when you were 30, when you speak you are not tying any emotion to any of the words. you get what i mean?

• No, unfortunately not, I am primarily Hungarian and English is my second language. I have been learning it since the age of 9 so I am fairly decent at it.

• I'm bilingual. English is not my first language. I grew up in South Africa and my first language is Afrikaans. Ek jok nie vir jou nie.

• I can learn a language in a week.

• I know 4 languages and learning the fifth so

• English and Chinese.
    Although my Chinese has really deteriorated over time.

• @Omar5881 is going to teach me Arabic. Haha but no I only speak one language unfortunately.

• I am: natively-proficient Chinese and fully-proficient English.

• Well, I lived in a region where English is also the official language when I was young for four years and then left. Anyway, I have full proficiency in English although it is a bit different from being my mother tongue.

• again, just like i wrote in the original post: you are not a TRUE bilingual just because you are proficient in another language.

• But one of that region's official languages was English and I used English in kindergarten. Enough?

• yeah i am bilingual I grew up with English and scots tounge : P

• Really really poor reasoning you have

• how is my reasoning poor? do you consider arnold schwarzenegger a "bilingual" just because he studied English and now speaks it? he just moves his mouth and creates the sounds he learned are English sounds.

but think about when you speak English (or whatever your native language is)... you FEEL and you integrate your senses a lot when speaking it. when you learn a language and speak it you dont do that. you just move your mouth and create the sounds. thats the difference between just knowing another language and being bilingual

• Lmao you fucking elitist. "Use the language in every day life"
    Hebrew is a dead language and it should have stayed dead, it's completely useless outside of Jewish organizations and Israel.
    I'd take proficiency in Russian, Mandarin, Spanish, or even French over native fluency in Hebrew.

• go grow some hair on your dick then come back to me

• Grow some foreskin bruh