Aren't there time where someone shouldn't be brutally honest?

For instance I once saw a female poster getting hurt when she asked her boyfriend if he saw her as the most beautiful girl ever and he was brutally honest, saying that she's cute but not the most beautiful girl ever.

Common sense... say yes in that question and it'll save your from a possible misunderstand, argument or your partner feeling insecured in the relationship. I never asked that question to a boyfriend because I would probably not like that level of honesty. Neither was a guy asked me if he's the most handsome man ever but if so, and it's a boyfriend I'm in love with, I would say yes that to me he's my 10.

Most Helpful Guy

• i agree you dont have a blab out unnecessary truths that only hurt and the issue is more in the thin skinned microwave society in my opinion.

but def agree not all truths need to be rubbed in but if its a lie that deters from the person acheiving their potential, its a curse even if it feels good.

What Guys Said 5

• I'm biased because I believe honesty is the best. It might hurt someone's feelings temporarily but they'll get over it and become a stronger, more self-aware person.

The alternative is to support lying for the purpose of sparing someone's feelings.

• To me, whoever is my partner, would be in my eyes who I have dedicated myself to, I will love them eternally, and they will be the most beautiful woman that I shall ever know.

• It depends. People can be honest, but not necessarily brutal. However, usually if the truth is unfavorable, it is considered brutal.

• I agree to some extent, sometimes people use "being brutally honest" as a way to be an asshole for absolutely no reason. But I don't like it either if you ask questions where I have to lie to make you happy. Because realistically, unless you're a fucking supermodel, you're not gonna be "the most beautiful girl ever", it's better if you just ask "Do you find me beautiful?" or something like that, and then I can give you a genuine compliment.

• I say whenever it get you out of an uncomfortable situation and when they're emotionally wrecked and especially when they're suicidal

What Girls Said 4

• I think honesty is important, but there's definitely situations where it's better to sugar coat things rather than be honest or just keep your opinion to yourself because it;s not worth fighting over.

I have a friend who always says crazy things. She doesn't do her research and is not informed, but she will argue to the hills about things and say she is right, because she is always right. I do not engage with her, I just don't have the energy.

But I do agree, there are some situations where brutal honesty is required.

• It's up to each individual to determine if they are being dishonest for manipulative, deceitful reasons, or if they are doing it to refrain from causing unnecessary harm (like in the scenario you mentioned). We can't control others, we can only determine what we ourselves are comfortable doing.

• I think some people take this ''tell nothing but the truth'' too far. I get it if you have to be honest about important matters but to cause unnecessary harm? What would be the purpose of that?

• yeah sometimes...