What do you think an atheist is?

Pretty simple question, what do you think it means to be an atheist?

• Anyone who lacks belief in the existence of god/s.
  • Someone who believes god/s do not exist.
  • A devil worshipper.
  • See answers

Most Helpful Girl

• Option A would be an agnostic. Option B is an atheist.

• Not according to my dictionary...

Thanks for answering.

• @InconspicuousBox @Asker
      Wow, talking to two people is taking a lot out of me, and I'm also on a mobile phone doing this! I'll have to stop talking seeing as it's wearing me out, but I will read all of your comments to see if I had any previously held misconceptions and fix them. I think some objections were because of my rushed typing, but anyways, I think I'll leave other gagers to their comments and opinions.

• Agnosticism is a position about having KNOWLEDGE regarding the existence of a deity, in the same way that you have KNOWLEDGE of the existence of the device on which you typed your comment. Atheism is a position about BELIEF regarding the existence of a deity, specifically in that you do not believe in such a thing.

Both positions, A and B, are statements about belief. However, saying that you don't believe something exists is not the same as saying you believe something does not exist.

Most Helpful Guy

• A includes B. A is a negative atheist (or agnostic atheist) and B is a positive atheist.

• Glad someone gets that.

"A is a negative atheist (or agnostic atheist)" A and not in B is.

What Girls Said 6

• Kind of a mix of A and B, but I voted for A.

• B should be a narrower group than A, everyone who believes God/s don't exist should also fit in group A. (Unless they're capable of some impressive double thinking.)

• They're essentially the same, honestly.

• Both A and B:
    - Anyone who lacks belief in the existence of god/s.
    - Someone who believes god/s do not exist.

• So we're all born atheists then?

• I believe so. That religion was created to help humans thousands of years ago understand natural disasters and other things. Plus it makes more people behave. When you think a god is watching your every move and if you commit a crime they will smite you.

• Isn't A and B practically the same? voted A but not quite sure if it should be B

• It could be a little of both A and B

What Guys Said 10

• Atheists are all devil worshippers who are afraid to admit a god exists because they want to sin with impunity. They all have a god shaped hole in them that they fill with material possessions and insulting believers.

🤓

• Someone that does not feel that any religion is correct

• So was Jesus an atheist when he started out?

• Do you think right before founding their religions (and up until they did) they thought some other religion was also correct?

• Well, Jesus did, I guess. In fact I think he died a Jew. And Muhammad probably.

• So would you make a distinction between an agnostic and an atheist?

• Good for them.
      I hope they enjoy it.

• It's hardly something to enjoy.

• As an atheist I realize that there is no way to prove a negative but I think that the possibility of there being a god is so low that it's basically non-existent

• 0|0
  • None of the above.

• What then?

• It is a person who affirms belief in the nonexistence of gods or has shown incredible contempt for deities. In modern times the second definition has been split out to "anti-theist" though it doesn't make sense to actually split them since the term "anti-" is being misused.

• Usually someone hurt by religious people or the church in their past... or someone who has grown up with a lot of emotional pain and blames God by trying to deny He exists.

• An atheist is someone who has no active belief that god (s) exist. It's a rather simple definition.

• No, by my definition everyone in the entire world is an agnostic on the existence of god (s), whether they be theists or atheists until we get scientific data for or against the case of the existence of god (s).

• Oh your back your non-standard usage of the word, I meant agnostic in the sense that you would expect someone else to understand it.

• He doesn't like God

• B is the correct answer, because some other people (besides atheists) lack belief in the existence of gods, for example pantheists.