Have you ever had a DNA test to know your ancestry? If not would you do it?

I'm personnaly very curious to know about my ancestry! I only exactly know about 1/4th of my ancestry.
If you did the test, what did you find out? Were you surprised by the results?

1214

Most Helpful Guy

• I would actually really love to do that. I know I'm mostly French and German, but my mothers side of the family are pretty much rednecks. They say we have Native American blood, that my great, great grandmother was Creek Indian, but I have no way of knowing. They live in Oklahoma, by the reservation, so I guess it makes sense. I feel like they might just make some shit up, because they thought it was cool, though. We're also supposed to be Choctaw. But yeah. I would be really interested to know my heritage. I'm a mutt, for sure, though. They say I'm mostly French, German, some Irish, Swedish, Choctaw, Creek, and English. So, I just call myself a mutt. It'd be good to know exactly. You should do it!

Most Helpful Girl

• I am curious to know if I am mixed or so...
    But most prob I am just plain old pure lebanese :p

• You know when you're from the Mediterranean region there are big chances of mixtures :p

• Oh goody👏👏😄

Sponsored

What Guys Said 13

• Nope, i know where im from... was born there... dont need dna... just ask aunty and uncle lol.

• Wish it was that easy haha when I ask them they only give some hypothesis nothing exact :p

• yea... I've heard... trust me... im glad im where im at lol

• No but I would really like to. But I already suspect that appart from Latvian of course, there's also Russian, German, Swedish, Lithuanian and Polish.

• Yeah, I do and those stupid prove that I have ukrainian Dna inside me even though I am purely South Asian and after that they tell me that all the Aryans are ukranian. Its pretty boring to watch and learn.

• I would definitely do it because it seems like a lot of fun

• I wasn't born, I was made, in a test tube. My ancestors are midgets.

• Yes, my whole family bought the 23AndMe Health and Ancestry test, last Christmas - good review here: www.myfamilydnatest.com/.../ .

We thought we knew our ancestry pretty well (Scottish, Irish and English), and for the most part we were right.

The biggest surprise is that we have a little African and American Indian blood, too. Proud to be a real American!

We also have some Russian/Slavic dna, and no one has a clue how this got in there.

Explains my penchant for expensive vodka, though.

On the health side, 23AndMe tells me that I'll probably lose my hair at some point :-(, but I'm free of Alzheimers' and the other diseases they check for.

All in all, it was a really interesting and eye-opening experience for our family.

Cost was about $200 for the health + ancestry test or (I think) $100 for the ancestry test alone.

• My dad just had it done for himself and my mom... he was more disappointed than anything because the results were exactly as he'd expected (mostly UK with some Eastern Europe)

• nope, and never thought about it because honestly I don't care too much... I mean it would be interesting to read but at the end I live in the present with my current family and relatives and it wouldn't change a thing.

• I have thought about doing it, but i don't want to pay for it. i am cheap

• Mongols :/

• i hear about that test for the first time. link the site where it says about that tests...

• No, no interest in that whatsoever.

Identifying with ancestral/ethnic groups is a red-flat, in my opinion. Shows a weak mind, an easily swayed person who can be manipulated by appeals to their sense of identity.

• Human beings are social. Maybe you don't like grouping by ethnicity. But there is always some other classification to take its place. At least with ethnic groups it is more accurate.

• I need to know. I know I've got white and native American ancestry, but it would be nice to find out what tribe.

What Girls Said 11

• No, I'd love to find out, though! I'm curious to learn more about my background because my family doesn't seem to have much information on the subject.

• for a class trip to a dna lab, we did get to test for a gene specific to "pure" Asians. i didn't have the gene, which means i have european ancestors, which makes sense. when the British colonized south asia, some married the native women. my mom and grandma did confirm some interracial marriages in our family history.

• Ah, I haven't, but I'd love to.
    Although I'm pretty sure it's a VERY boring one 😐

• No but I want one done I'm really curious about my background.

• I would if i could!

• I didn't know there was a way to know it.

As soon as I can I'll do it. I know nothing about my ancestors.

• I am curious too. I think I am 100% Indian which does not sound biologically correct at all, since India was invaded by Aryans, Mongols, British, Portuguese, many others.

The genotype/ phenotype in Northern and Western India strongly influenced by both, Aryan and original Indian genes.

• haven't had one done. my family are all from the same country. so pretty pure. but it would be nice to know if i was 1/32 of another ethnicity given the variation in skin tone and features of some family members

• My mom's side of the family has a historian and we looked at our documents I read it myself it says french, Italian, Mexican and African ancestry. I'm very light skinned and I have light hair so I think it's safe to assume I'm black and white

• Wow that's an interesting mixture :) !

• I don't know my dad's side but the 23 and me test is $100. I want to take it but I'm saving for a laptop so I'm not trying to pay $100 for a racial test lol

• Haha yeah same here, I might do it in the future but 100 dollars is too much!! I'm only sure about my mom's side we have Spanish ancestry but other than that I have no clue haha at least you know a big part of your ancestry :)

• I know what I am
    1/4 Irish
    1/4 Italian
    1/4 Lebanese
    1/4 Palestinian

• I'd love to learn about my ancestry!