Have you ever forgot how to feel happy?

It's like you haven't felt happy for a while and when you start feeling happy emotions you're like "wow I forgot how that felt"

I don't know seems weird. But have you ever felt like that before?

Most Helpful Guy

• I felt that way when I left my son mother and I started to date this woman. I didn't know love could make you happy. I was so use to a woman being stubborn I forgot how it feels to be happy.
    I think what eat me up the most is me losing the woman who made me happy because my child mother used my child to break us up. That what hurt the most because I know true love is hard to find.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yeah, I have actually. It doesn't sound weird at all when you've experienced it. I had this feeling after I'd went through a really tough crisis and was left feeling desolated and like a complete failure. World seemed bleak for a while. It wasn't until one day, like a year on, that I really properly laughed from my heart and actually thought to myself: when did I last laugh like that? I couldn't even remember. I'd forgotten what it was to feel happiness. That stage of life was the toughest I've faced so far. We must never forget how to be happy, a smile or a laugh can really change our perspectives on things.

• I agree, i realised people are to busy or have this constant negativity in their life, that they forget to be happy. I think it's the balancing part in life, which people tend to fall off balance.

• It would be! I guess all us girls can do is try our best to be as happy as we can be... :)

• Ty :) ❤️

What Guys Said 34

• You describe my present state of mind perfectly! Of late, I'm almost always sad and lost in my own world, although I always fake a smile.

I have bern single for over 5 years now, and I don't even have opportunities to date to the loneliness and frustration is starting to creep in. Things aren't going as planned on the career front too.

I have written a 'slogan' kind of thing to describe me:-
    "Look at my face, and you'll see a smile that'll brighten up your day.
    Look deep into my eyes, and you'll see intense pain which never goes away"

• Your soul is tormented. Slow down and talk to your soul. The answer to brighted up your day's will revealed.

• @mooky06

Well... it's not like having a partner is the only way for me to be happy. But when humans reach a certain age, and they have been single for years, they do get frustrated a bit. Even more so when the opportunity to date is almost non-existent.

That describes my situation now. Have only been in two relationships, and both were really NASTY women. One cheated on me while the other turned out to be a habitual liar. This was over 5 years ago, and I haven't even had the opportunity to even date since then, let alone get into a relationship.

Also, just when I thought I was getting somewhere regarding my career, I seem to have hit a roadblock. So I somehow need to work my around it. :(

• I am in the same situation at the moment and I didn't have a job for 5 years but I am 1 year nearly in my current job however it would be nice to be with someone again after being single for 7 years, at times it feels like no one wants to know and if they do they will treat me the same as others have, I am currently getting help with my depression but I think it will be a long time until something happens (if it happens).

• I know how that is... thats why i have a sick/twisted sense of humor... do and say shit just to make ME laugh... its as close as i can get.

• So far, I have been happy and/or content. I want my life to remain like this forever, but yes I have forgotten happiness before specially after highschool when my highschool girlfriend of 4 years left me. At least now, I found someone special that makes me happy and I've known her and has been friends with her since grade 4, and we've been in a committed relationship for almost three years now.

• Sometimes things leave to make room for better things. Glad to hear you are back on track with someone you love ☺️

• I am in a happy mood all the time.. not much gets me down.. why bother getting in a bad frame of mind when things go a bit the other way.. no one, or nothing, is perfect and if one thinks things are or they themselves think they are a perfect person.. chances are they need some help to cope with the real world.. either that or they are a robot

• Yeah when you have a couple of setbacks in a row, especially those that are hard to solve, you get this feeling that happyness is far gone and you only know how to feel like a pile of misery :-(
    Fortunately those cases are pretty rare :D
    Oh and when I read your positive posts than, full of humour, it gives me a good feeling :D :D

• I'm glad my dear friends Hans :) yeah i've felt like i've had more and more set backs for several weeks. And you are right, you feel like the happiness is gone.

• If you need a chat, let me know :D
      My ears, understanding and helpfulness are at your diposal :D :D

• I absolutely have. I dunno what it was but I felt happy for something recently and realized that it's a pretty alien feel.

• I never actually forgot how, but I certainly forgot the times when I did. One time I'm happy, next time I don't recall it ever happening. I'm pretty sure that is a symptom of clinical depression.

• I have been through depressed moments, and I have felt like I forgot how happiness feels.

But that depressed feeling were always fleeting, then I was back to being normal.

• Yeah. I've been stuck in a perpetual jaded state since I was 18. There are fleeting moments where I feel truly at peace and happy.

• Are you still in that sort of state now that you are 21?

• A little bit but it's not all that bad. I've learned that I'm driven by purpose more than happiness but I still look for it.

• Yeah, basically my life has been that way for 10 years or so. Maybe more. I will get spurts of happiness, but they don't last. And it effects everything. And nothing really pulls you out until you get what you want

• You've never felt a long period of happiness? Wow, I'm scinerely sorry for what has made you feel that way you have been for 10 years

• Being shy, socially awkward, plus having no career success. It makes everybody around you judge you, so you hide from people and even your family.

Plus then you can't relate to people because you aren't going along the 'normal life path' and so what is there to talk about? Not much. Plus besides that, I have never been able to be myself around people, I think I learned that growing up, just become as invisible as possible.

• For a time after my wife and father passed, yes. I have been reunited with my old friend, Happiness. We are catching up on old times. ;)

• not even sure if I ever had a phase in my life where I felt really happy for a longer time... so I can't really have forgotten it

• I've lost or forgotten what certain aspects of it felt like yes.

• When people ask me how I'm doing, I just say, "I'm okay."

"That doesn't sound very convincing...", is their usual response.

"It's fine. I'm always like this."

When in reality I am okay. Just okay. I'm not really happy anymore, just content.

• Yeah i suppose some people want an exaggerated answer i assume

• Sometimes, especially if I stay at home too long.

All it takes is a friend, a cool drink, and five minutes to remember why life is good.

• I have been within that dark void. Sank to the deep depths of that inky pool. Then resurfaced to see a wonderful light and enjoy life for what it is.

• When I was in a drepession, yep

• Yeah I think I have then I got myself into trouble. I was partying just to feel something basically cause I felt so numb/depressed at the time.

• I tend to drink my sorrow, never a good thing bro.. unfortunately it's only temporary relievement

• I haven't been truly happy in years

• Does one do this as a skill?

• Not really, I guess feeling sad and trapped makes you realise that you don't know what feeling happy is like. But learning this as a skill would be interesting lol

• No, thank Tdieseler. This is what he said a long time ago and I'm just recycling it because I'm terribly unoriginal. :)

• LOOOL clever

• I think I have, yes. I haven't been happy for quite some time.

• I forgot how to feel happy at bootcamp... Got my ass chewed out for smiling those bastards!

• Yeah, I got really depressed a few months ago, and I couldn't be happy doing fun things, and then when I got a grip on things, I was like "this happiness thing feels good"

• I'm happy, a lot. Sometimes, it's just a natural feeling. Joy? I forgot that feeling when she left.

• I legit think I have

• Yea I did that some time but it's all cool now

• Ahahaha yaa XD that's hilarious

• It's a non question really its like being busy with work and come the annual holiday you remember how it feels to be stress free

• No no matter how sad in the past i was i always could be happy

• Can't say that I have.

• More from Guys
    4

What Girls Said 19

• That was literally me for a little while till today. Received AMAZING news and now I'm happy as fuck ☺

• hmm, I've forgotten certain elements of happiness, like how it feels being liked by someone or how much joy i get going on a ride that terrifies me, but not happiness in general.

• yeah I forgot to be happy!

• If I am not happy, well, how would I live a good life? I try to be happy whenever I need it the most. I hope I don't forget it.

• If i get lost in my own head, stuck in my own room looking at my phone or computer 24/7 for weeks on end, then its time to venture out in the big wide world and connect with people. Feeling exhilarating and laughing all the time can feel foreign at first.

• Yes.
    But if you feel happy again, don't you feel... happy? It's a great feeling after having forgotten what happiness felt like!

• Oh, for sure. This year has been especially rough for me, so the moments of happiness at times were fleeting. It was such an odd feeling to be happy one moment and sad the next, not truly feeling happy or satisfied for a long time.

• Yes, oh my god, somebody put it into words. Unfortunately those happy feelings tend to happen few and far between lately.

• Er i hate how the feelings of happiness are only what feel like small seconds, then over run by negativity, fucking sucks balls.

• Yes.
    Throughout the whole year I have struggled with depression and things are becoming straight for me here. So when I was celebrating my birthday I actually felt the happiness for once and I was shocked.

Hopefully things stay that way but every loss you get gives you a chance to grow.

• Happiness is an emotion, you can't really forget it. However, there are times when you become so miserable that you forget how happiness felt like. I know because it seems like so long ago that I felt happiness... :(

• So is depression. People go through that more then happiness actually. It's very common.
      Have things not gone so well for you in life? I feel the same way. I think everyone wants to feel happy, but really can't grasp onto it.

• I don't think Depression is an emotion, I think its a condition accompanied by very low emotions. That's why it sometimes can last months on end without ever really feeling "good" despite having everything.
      And yeah, things seem to be going down hill for me. It's really hard to grasp onto happiness, because it comes and goes. It is not possible to be happy all the time I think. It's unnatural. So when people dont feel happy all the time they think somethings wrong because they're not meeting their goal. But in reality, I think having a reason/purpose to wake up every morning is stronger than wanting to feel happy everyday. I don't know its confusing and complicatd lmao but yeah

• Thats exactly what I'm going through right now.

• Yeah i have after a break up ugh i felt like my soul and heart was missing 😔😒 also affected my health!

• i've felt like that this entire year :/

• Sometimes, but not all the time.

• Well to be fair, I've never been very happy. 😅

• Seriously? O. O I don't believe you!!! but I'll take you're word for it ☺️

• That's not true eggnog. I mean talking to me is like the highlight of your day and hence that makes you happy ahahahahahah XD. In all seriousness, happiness is just around the corner for ya, you just don't know it yet, but it'll come :)

• @I_am_repulsive

Lmao, you wish! 😛

• Yeah it happens to me too. It feels weird haha

• Yes and I hope I can feel that way again

• It's called depression, try to confront the things that stops you from being happy.

• No, you must have a sad life.. :(