Have you had suicidal thoughts?

even if it was only once. what age? how would you do it? where were you? what were you doing? what was the reason?

Most Helpful Guy

• No, not in the conventional sense.

There was a time about ten years ago when I suffered from terrible insomnia, and let me tell you, when you suffer from insomnia, your loved ones suffer also.

Any rate, I went five days without being able to sleep (the reason why was complicated). I began to hallucinate. I saw a stop sign walk across the street by itself. I saw the cracks in the sidewalk spell out my name. I was so desperate to sleep, but I couldn't. I recall thinking to myself, "You know, if I go and put my rifle in my mouth and pull the trigger, that will be like sleeping. True, it will be forever, but at least I'll be asleep." It was not like, "Woe is me! I'm so depressed! I just want to end my emotional pain!" It was much more like, "I really really really need to sleep." Lack of sleep makes you stupid. It never advanced more than me just looking at my rifle and thinking, "Wow. What a great way to sleep."

I never told my wife, though I did tell my doctor (when I got around to seeing her).

I finally fell asleep when I was prescribed some sleeping medication after a five day non-sleep marathon. When I woke up, I swear I could hear angels singing! Moreover, I when I realized I had contemplated putting a gun to my mouth and pulling the trigger in order to get some sleep, I thought, "My God! That was stupid!!!" The doctor then told me to get exercise, lose weight, and eventually took me off the medication.

I had measles once with a temperature of 106. Yet I consider that five day bout of insomnia to be the worse illness I've ever suffered.

• Dude, five days! You made it longer than I would've.

• How? I just kept on teaching as best as I could. My students noticed something was afoot. They asked me if I was OK.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yea I did. I thought about it when I was 13 I would feel like crap , mostly bc I was a nerd and I dressed different back then I tied my hair up in a ponytail the entire time , glasses , had braces and just simple outfit. I was in an a. p class and well barely made friends bc most of them where type of racists either most Korean or Chinese people hung out together and I was one of the few Hispanics that was in that class. I never got picked on but they would make faces and I felt terrible I wouldn't eat in the cafeteria I would eat in the library and well I was mad at myself bc I thought that's how my entire life was going to be like, being alone. I tried to cut my veins once and then started laughing bc I didn't know how stupid I may look once the doctor asks me questions or if I would even bleed out bc of the blade not cutting me properly , thank god I got out of the thoughts and I just kept going with my life I read books that where about hope in life and well now I am confident about myself I don't care if my teeth are crooked or if I wear a ponytail the entire time but I also changed back in high school I started putting my hair down and all the kids in class would want to touch it and play with it sometimes they would ask why I would feel to much for them and not talk to them if I felt too pretty for them but no I was always quiet but at the same time I would be talkative when a good topic came up and well I lived my life happy even if people tried to look at me bad or make me feel bad I would not let them get the satisfaction of looking at me like that :) life is beautiful and my advice is to make the most of it while you're here in this world 🤓😊

What Guys Said 22

• Ocassonally, my life isn't unbearable but it's just empty. I live not because life excites me or because I genuinely want to. I live because I feel I have to. It's better than the alternative. Complete nothingness scares me.

Other reasons I haven't are because I'm a coward, scared it would hurt or that I'd fail. I feel guilty because of my parents. There's also people who objectively have worse lives then me so I'd also feel like it's insulting to them.

I really dont know how Id do it either. I feel like a knife would hurt and result in a slow death. Same with hanging. There's also the possibility of doing it wrong which would really suck. Guns can be messy and once again there's always the off chance that if still live but be a vegetable.

I kinda think it would be cool if there was an "off button" that you could mentally access and that when pressed it would allow you to peacefully and painlessly die in you sleep. Also with this nobody would know it was suicide. It would be like "oh they just died :/"

• Yes. Numerous times. It was mostly during high school. I never had a girl love me if even like me. Never even had a good hug with a girl. I'm 25+ now and still nothing. Seeing so many couples hugging, kissing, and more in school while I had nothing made me feel like a loser. Like I was so much worst than everyone else. Didn't fit in. Made me have suicidal thoughts at times to end my depressive feelings. But somehow I got over it and decided that I am just gonna stay single and everything will be fine. I don't need a future family or a lover. So far I am fine. Focusing on other parts of life.

• On a pretty regular basis for the past nine years, though rather seldom if at all the past few months. Didn't necessarily have a reason every time. Usually just a vague longing to cease to exist and know no more. Hanged myself twice. First time, didn't work for no obvious reason. Second time I must have done a better job. Felt my airway and circulation cutting off, started to feel my mind slowing down and shutting down. Then, right before I would've lost consciousness permanently, I felt fine. My head felt normal, I could breathe perfectly. Can't explain it. Stayed there a few minutes until I got bored and let myself down. I'm not entirely sure I can die. And just as well, for though I wouldn't admit it, while I longed for endless sleep, I feared what dreams might come.
    Lately I feel I have far more reason to live than to die. In fact, if I were to die now, I would not seek unknowing oblivion. I would stay bound to earth until I grew strong enough to come back, like always, to finish what I have set out to do.

• Yes I have. When I was 15 and 16. I never actually attempted it but I wanted to slit both my wrists.
    There were just a whole bunch of things going on. my dad and I getting into fights, losing all my friends, causing my parents stress, and other things.
    I'm alright now though.

• luckily no I've never had suicidal thoughts, I can't imagine what it feels like to think life sucks so much that you want to end your own. :(

• Suicidal? Not really, but the "what if.." poped one time when i was 20.
    It was a very depressive couple of days when i felt my future was trully black. I was in the shit, i remember one particular night... i was in a complete mental degrated reality, with a pure certain about my heavilly dark future, ... on my bed, only listening my breath... alone with my breath and very vivid fear of the future and not even 1 solution that could help me.

That time is really stuck on me.

• Used to force myself through a blizzard of them.

Now they just occasionally flutter by.

And sometimes, just sometimes they perch on my heart and mind.

Steadily convincing me to do so with comforting little whispers that promise me everything will be okay once I'm over.

• Back when I was a preteen/teen yeah. As I've gotten older I've learned to appreciate the fragility of life more.

• i have it every now and then... but i only stop myself from committing suicide not because i'am coward enough to take the jump but because i don't want to look like a coward who takes the easy way out from this shit hole of a life... but yeah its only becoming difficult everyday and yes sometimes i doubt whether i'm strong enough to stay

• Honestly, nah. I have tooooo many things to accomplish to die this early... but if it happens... well, bummer xD

• a lot during highschool years and I still do but no nearly as often as I use to. I use to literally stay up at night thinking about it

• Yes, I have. Multiple ages. I was thinking of making it painless or a shot in the head. I was at home. I was looking at my handgun. I didn't feel the need to live anymore. I didn't feel I could do anything in this world to make a difference.

• What are you doing with your life now?

• @Bluemax Computers. I've been passed up for promotions, despite doing project work and going beyond my duties of my current position.

• @Bluemax I'm also looking outside of the organization as it seems quite clear that they no longer want me in the organization. Unfortunately, it's been tough to find something outside as well. So, I'm literally stuck, professionally. I'm between a rock and a hard place.

• Oh yeah. But, since the God put me here and told me i can't leave until he sends someone to pick me up, i'm stuck with life. I didn't reallt think about how, since it's out of question.

• Very few times, if not just once, but yes. I'm guessing mostly in my mid or early teens.
    These days I have often wanted to die, but not by my own doing. "If there's no girl for me out there, than just let me move on..." type of thoughts.

• What are you doing with your life? What are you doing to find a woman?

• @Bluemax I'm continuing to live with my parents (my whole life so far) as I wait maybe half a year now for the hospital finished making plans for a brain surgery to (hopefully) cure the Epilepsy disease I have that gives me seizures which apparently needs me to constantly be babysat by my parents, making driving, getting jobs, and going to college impossible.
      My only chance for trying to make myself less shy, let alone with girls, is weekly at church for a few minutes at most while everyone is always already talking to at least one other person.

• I have not, no. I've been lucky enough to always feel hopeful, even in my darkest times.

• Ya, I wondered what It would be like if I just killed myself, like those around me, but I know I wouldn't so it's not like I was considering it, even at my lowest pointa

• it popped in my head couple times but never considered it, I just kinda thought what would happen if I died?

• When Donald trump said he was running

• I was 21, 2 years ago, I was doing stupid stuff with my life. I finished school, stated a pretty good job, but after being home for a week I was getting really sick later found out it a MAI and two other infections. I was stressed from the pressures of work and my health, my Ex left, my parents were fighting because of money issues going back to when I was born. I felt I destroyed there lives. So when I attempted 3rd time "I had really sick thoughts of how to do it, where, how much pain, how fast..." I settle on what I wanted to do. I remember after doing what I wanted least painful but they all were, I was alone in the woods, lightly snowing, almost no wind. My head was hurting my chest hurt, there was blood all over but my doctors had me on blood clotting Meds so it didn't go well, everything started go go wrong and I just driffed of to sleep. I don't know how long when by but I remember a girl on the phone with 911, her dog was laying next to me the feeling of the dogs warmth was the most wonderful feeling in the word. She keep asking me are you okay, help is coming. She met me in the hospital after and she's been my friend ever since. She was out for a walk with her dog, when her dog started run off and bark she was afraid he was chasing a animal but instead he found me and saved me.

*Im not going to say how for the safety and well being of other, they don't need ideas*

*Please get help, nothing in life is worth it*

• All the time. I need a reason to live everyday.

• ye thought about hanging myself with my 12 inch c0ck ;)

• I've had suicidal thoughts over my hormone disorder and how it stunted my physical development in the reproductive area.

Heck it goes even older than that. I've been told that I said that I wished I was dead even when I was a child.

The closest I came was due to having a rough semester in college when my financial aid was up in the air (I had too many credit hours from being an older student with a lot of changed majors, and I lost my financial aid appeal because of that bad semester). I bought 200 Tylenol tablets, but I told my counselor and she took them from me.

What Girls Said 15

• I think that the world is filled with people who know that they are alive, but inside they are rotting like a corpse. Depression is a horrible disease, and suicide itself seems like the best solution for most people.

No I have never felt suicidal. But I know people who have, my aunt. It's very hard to comfort people with depression, especially when that person is so much older than me and I have to become an older figure and they, a helpless lost human.

• Ah I used to have them fairly often, all my teen years basically. I wasn't acting on them though. These days I really don't anymore.

• Ever since I was 16!

• Have you talked about this with anyone?

• On myself, i mean.

• I have suffered from depression, but I have NEVER had suicidal thoughts

When people have suicidal thoughts it isn't usually due to one isolated incident/reason. They tend to have underlying & unresolved issues.

• I wouldn't consider them suicidal because I wasn't a direct harm to myself, but I have had "I really wouldn't care if I just ceased existing" thoughts before.

• I don't know exactly why but when I was 11... You know puberty, hormones, woe is me, etc.

• Nope never.
    Had a great and happy life till now:)
    Blessed with great parents who care and love me❤
    So can t complain here😊😊

• No, but I have had homicidal ones when I was 11-15-ish... Depression's one hell of a bitch.

• I love how come asshole thumbed be down for being honest. Not everyone who's depressed/have depression go through a suicidal phase. Sometimes it takes a complete 180 and you only want to hurt others.

• 16, lol I was being crazy. And I don't know the exact reason but just have an idea.

It was stupid. :p

• Age 14 (now). I would cut myself. I was at home and at school. I was sitting around, thinking. The reason is that I am very insecure, I get made fun of, and my parents divorce for 6 years has been getting worse and worse.

• I've never had them, happily. I had very bad days but not so bad at that point.

• it's hard to be a pre-med and NOT want to jump off a bridge lol.

• yes and I'm not proud of it.

• Yes on several different occasions...
    what age?
    Started at the age of about 13
    how would you do it?
    Shoot myself in the head
    where were you?
    Home
    what were you doing?
    Sitting in my room
    what was the reason?
    My past

• Yes, but I would never actually follow through.

I was 17 the first time I really thought about it. I was really lonely and depressed in high school, and felt like things would never get better. Luckily, they did.

• How did you make things better?

• I went away to college and met my best friend, and now feel like I have a purpose in life (career and goal wise). I also go to the gym all the time which helps me mentally- a coping mechanism as well as a hobby.

I still feel depressed sometimes, but the magnitude of it is no where near as bad as it once was.