Do your grades show how smart you are?

Give your opinions! Can marks really say anything about your intelligence?

Most Helpful Guy

• One could get "good" grades for memorizing/mugging up a book, a paragraph or whatever it then jot that down in an exam and get grades just like that, it doesn't show nor prove anything about their "intelligence", some students may just be bored with the curriculum or may not be challenged enough to quite care, and some show their true smart out there in the real world where it really counts, how well you are with your jobs and what you can do when given the opportunity, I don't think it comes down to what number you have written on some piece of paper, I think what matters is how you express yourself, what your like, how you hold up your side of an argument and how persuasive you can be, that is intelligence. Look at all our great scientists did all of them do well at school? No.

In other words, It's like some people do great at exams, some are rubbish, some are good at role play, some can't do it, some people are fantastic at interviews, some aren't... I don't think it reflects intelligence at all really, it just shows you're good at retaining information, and can be calm under pressure :P

Most Helpful Girl

• No.

My brother is a hell of a lot smarter than me, but he always had bad grades because he was too LAZY to do the work.

Also, kinda doubt intelligence should be determined by memorizing how to spell and define words on command.

What Guys Said 30

• Not a thing. They show how well you follow orders, how well you stay within the confines of the curriculum ie answering what they want you to answer how they want you to answer it, but they do not determine intelligence. Some of the stupidest things I have ever read have been from people who where "educated". Scoring poorly could simply be due to not thinking in that particular way.

• Not really... Most billionaires out there didn't even finish highschool because they were too smart and didn't take school seriously. GPA or marks does probably give you a higher probability of getting a job, but it doesn't necessarily define your intelligence

• There's certainly a correlation, but good grades don't equal high intelligence in all areas, and low grades don't necessarily mean someone is unintelligent or lacking intellect. Academic grading can be a practical and somewhat indicative tool of measuring an individual's intelligence, but it is certainly not always accurate or relevant.

• It's an indicator but not the be all end all. Depends on if you take things seriously. Me, in school I got good grades when I cared. If I didn't, I would pass it off and not care if I got a C.

Some people are just good at taking the test and don't really know anything about the subject realistically.

• no. it just determines how good you can follow directions and how well you can study arbitrary facts. it's most apparent in subjects like math and science. notice how many people study formulas and not concepts. people generally can tell you the "how", but not the "why". i got mainly b's with some a's and c's thrown in there, but i was happen to have a 150+ iq.

• Partially, but I think they mostly show how much effort you put into memorizing the material. They don't necessarily how well you understand it or can apply it.

• Former cum laude graduate checking in 😎

There's imperfect components in determining grades, but it's probably the best system out there.

• I think it does in terms of math and science. Going to school and having taken a lot of math and science exams, I know that most of the professors let you take a cheat sheet with the formulas on them so you don't have to remember much but you do have to figure out how to work the problem. And personally I think that there are several different types of intelligence and I place math/science right and the top.

• I tend to think they reflect how hard working you are at best since many people only focus on passing exams and getting high marks opposed to actually learning anything. Even with myself, I think I learn more from reading books in my own time than I do from college given that in the case of the latter, the need to pass the exam often trumps the desire to internalize knowledge.

• They CAN, but they almost always do not. A person's grades are seldom an accurate reflection of their I. Q.

• No, they don't. Good grades show that you do the work and you do all of the assignments. Generally, the smartest people get Cs and the reason why is they are so bored with the course material they don't do anything all semester, then they go get an A on the exam.

• Grades don't mean shit if you screw up in real life, experience does. So no, I don't think grades show how smart you are. I knew this uneducated farmer in my city, who came up with this radical new method of protecting crops from pests. He now works as a senior advisor in one of the best agro-business companies in my country. SO, yeah.. there's that :D.

• No, it just shows that you can remember stuff better than others.

• It shows how good you are at remembering things

• No, not exactly. Especially some teachers who are corrupt and "give away" grades to students who don't deserve such grades. Granted, there may be a lot of super (and super and super) seniors. But it is what is should be.

• Maybe to a small extent but I'd say no. They just show how good you are at memorizing mostly useless information and figures

• It often shows that you are knowledgeable and can follow rules... I think it can mean you are smart but they say the greatest geniuses were class clowns including Einstein.

• Nope I can't get good grades to save my life but I'm great at so many other things.

• Nope they don't

• Yes and no. Grades is more a reflection of the effort you're putting into learning. But ultimately you have to have some intelligence to get good grades. So high grades indicate higher intelligence.

• No I guess a single sheet of paper can't tell about your intelligence...
    Because some people are smart but they don't like to study I always get passing marks though my teacher used to say that I'm smart!!!

• I have good grades and I'd say I'm a moron...

• Not always.

• Grades do not determine your intellect; but, rather determines your ability to follow directions.

• no it shows more how hard you work.

• the short answer is no

• no... they show how lazy I am

• Nope, not really... i was a straight (A) student yet i am a complete dumb ass.

• not even close. most gifted kids suck at school cause they are simply to bored to read the material. public education is made for the average 100 iq masses... .

• No, frankly.

What Girls Said 32

• Grades don't necessarily represent your intelligence it just shows how much you pay attention/apply yourself. For instance as a child Einstein was unruly and didn't pay attention in class his teacher said hr was stupid and unable to teach/learn when really he was just bored because he already knew those things/was a genius.

If grades really did show our level of intelligence then going to school, high school, or college wouldn't be necessary for some because regardless of what we're taught it doesn't mean that everyone can take in the same amount of info. Grades represent our effort and our progress it's not an IQ test.

• Not really. A lot of people get good grades because the class is easy, they cheat, or they are good at playing a system. On the flipside, a lot of people get bad grades because the teacher was bad, or the class is not geared towards their learning style.

• It depends on the courses. A lot of courses are purely research based, so it just shows that you have good searching skills. However, a lot of classes are based off of memory or just common sense (math for memory, common sense for English). If you haven't been taught something and that causes you to fail then it doesn't make you stupid, but if you're given opportunities and choose not to learn then your grades are probably low for a reason. Then again, you can also have high grades and not be all too bright. It depends more on how the person acts or works during the class than the overall grade.

• They certainly can! ... BUT grades can be deceiving...

There smart lazy people who would rather not do their work...

There are dumb people who cheat by copying off their friend's HW
    (or cheat some other way)...

Then there are those with average intelligence who actually spend a LOT of time learning to achieve the same high grades as those highly intelligent people who don't even spend half the time studying as them because it just sticks to them more naturally...

so NO, not really. Grades do not always show the truth or the intelligence of someone.

• Can they.. yes.

But it isn't a black/white locked in stone type thing

Some people, memorize and purge.. so they get good marks, but don't really retain everything.

And me.. I barely graduated.. but it isn't because I'm stupid (well.. it is.. but not unintelligent stupid.. bad decisions stupid)

I just liked boys to much.

• They show how good I am at manipulating the US grade system.

I get mostly A's and every once in a while I get an A- and I cry about it and get extra credit and get an A again.

• No, I don't think grades are a reflection of intelligence, but rather a reflection of a student's work ethic, commitment, enjoyment, mental health, and/or ability to regurgitate information.

• I don't think so. My best friend used to memorise all her work and then go into the exam only memorising things and not knowing what they meant. I on the other hand studied things so I knew what they meant. The thing is, I didn't know everything but at least I knew what I was learning, she memorised everything but at the end knew pretty much nothing. She'd get roughly the same Mark as me for exams but in class she wouldn't know a thing.

Another thing is if you get a crappy Mark/grade, then it doesn't mean you're bad or not intelligent, maybe you just didn't try or bother with it, or maybe you had a bad day. Grades don't define your inteligence because there are many ways to measure inteligence and relying on just one I don't think would ever give accurate results

• I think getting good grades shows a commitment to studying and then being able to commit it to memory. There are those who have a greater ability at history than math. Does that make them unintelligent? No, some people simply have greater aptitude for one subject over another. There are also geniuses that failed miserably at school because they were so advanced that the typical lesson failed to captivate them. I'm sure their teachers and mentors labeled them "unintelligent" when it was quite the opposite. Two examples are Albert Einstein and Thomas Edison. All in all, grades measure how well you study most of the time and how much one commits to memory but I feel don't paint the full picture of a person's intelligence.

• No. I honestly believe the educational system in many countries is ridiculous. Those that have good memories can remember information so when they go on to do exams they do well and get good grades, and these are the people that excel in life because they gain successful careers, and it all started because they naturally have brains that can store information better than others.
    Also, many people that are creative geniuses (create art, novels, write music, etc.) do not even have one of these "vault-of-information" kind of brains, and look how smart they are!
    The school system is a shambles in many ways, and it upsets me to think that I and my future children may not have the chance to have a fulfilling and successful life, some barriers being because our brains aren't wired a certain way.

• no they show your obedience level

• Smart people can get good or bad grades, and not being able to memorize things doesn't make someone dumb. However, if someone's not very smart, or not very good at memorizing, and they still manage to get good grades, then I respect the amount of work and effort they put into it.

• I hope not because than I am stupid lol

• No. I'm really smart, but I never do my hw and even though my grades are A's and B's I don't know why haha. I don't try hard at all. I could get straight A's, no, straight A+'s, but I choose to not care about my schoolwork cause I'm super lazy.

• In a way. But there's more to intelligence other than just basic studies like math and science. Education is endless, there's always something new to learn.

• Nope, grades do not show how smart you are.
    Grades are only important when it comes to competing with yourself, you set goals and you do your best to achieve them, when you start comparing your grades to someone elses grades the whole point becomes meaningless.. and your concentration gets ruined.
    Steve jobs never hired those who said they get great grades and thats why they were smart. You are smart if you are determined and work hard.

• Yes it can but it only takes in a very small aspect of intelligence.

• NO! I have a 78 in AP English II which is a C I have a 89 in geometry which is a high B I hate geometry !! I barely do my work in there

• it reflects your aptitude in certain subjects, and perhaps to a lesser extent your work ethic, but is not a complete reflection of overall intelligence

• No they don't, because if you put effort into stuff and turn in your work and apply yourself, you can get a good grade. Grades do not equal intellect.

• no, those are points based on how much work you did and turned in. If you take a series of test in a subject and take test average of that subject then, that would tell how much you know. Also an IQ test could tell. But like a grade from a report card, no.

• no of course not

• Nope, just how focused/hard working you are (in school)

• No. Grades just show how much effort you put in your work. I know some smart people that's just lazy as hell. Your G. P. A doesn't equal your intelligence either. The whole system is bull crap.

• Sometimes I guess 😋

• Not at all.

• It shows, intelligent, knowledge, motivation, and family support

• Maybe for some people. I think other factors need to be accounted for, such as how well the subject was taught to them, and if the way they were taught was the best method for them to absorb the information. Sometimes instructors will teach one way, and not every student learns that way the best. Maybe they need more visuals, or maybe they need more audio to grasp the subject.

• no. and i am a prime example of that. i am extremely smart, but i dont test well. i want to be a doctor more than anything else in the world, but because of my poor testing ability im suffering.

• Nah, I think it shows how hard of a worker you are.

• More from Girls
    2