Why do people like to drink hard liquor like whiskey or vodka?

Is it because they like the taste, or the feel after drinking it?

Because I don't get how anyone could like the taste, hard liquor taste pretty bad, so they must drink it only for the feel?

Most Helpful Girl

What Girls Said 12

• I've always hated the test of strong liquor.
    The thing is after you're intoxicated , you don't taste it as much.
    You start to guzzle that baby like it's water !
    I always drank for the feeling , not the taste.
    I notice those that do tend to order sweet drinks or something with a bit more flavor.

• I prefer hard liquor over beer or coolers if I'm drinking with the intention of getting white-girl wasted because it gets the job done quicker, cheaper, and with fewer trips to the bathroom.

Yeah, vodka might not taste the greatest. That's why most people shoot it versus sipping.

• what is white girl wasted?

• oh it's just getting really wasted. According to urbandictionary;
      To get completely drunk, wasted or sloshed to the point where you can no longer control yourself physically or mentally. Term originally given to younger white girls, mainly college freshman, after they consume way too much alcohol. This commonly results in overall incoherency, and brief "skankyness" before a quick emotional breakdown. Which are all followed up by the process of destroying the party through multiple drunken slurs and complete trashyness and finally passing out in an upstairs bedroom because they are too drunk to make it home.

• I find the taste of alcohol to be kind of nasty no matter what type it is. So I usually go with harder liquor, since it can be mixed into things that I actually like, and by itself gets you buzzed faster.
    It is 100% for the feeling, not the flavor, for me. It's also a social thing, since I only drink with other people.

• to get off faster?

• I don't drink hard liquor but I'm pretty sure it's because it gets you drunk quicker

• I do not admire taste of any of the strong or even mild alcohols. They are just the raw chemicals sliding down my throat. Its taste is just a punishment for feeling relaxed afterwards.

• Vodka is good, I actually really like the taste. Whiskey, not so much, it makes me throw up.

• Not all liquor tastes good on its own, but there are definitely plenty of cocktails that are good.

• Whiskey tastes disgusting 😷

• It fucks you up

• Because they like to pee.

• There's a weird but great feeling when you drink with higher alcohol content tho almost all alcohol gives you this hot feeling as you drink. But I agree, they taste really really bad. ironic, it's like you are eating bitter gourd just for the health benefit but this time the benefit is not so healthy but can be fun?

What Guys Said 12

• In the same manner:

Coffee tastes pretty bad...
    Black licorice tastes pretty bad...
    Scotch bonnet peppers taste pretty bad...
    Kimchi tastes pretty bad...
    Black pudding tastes pretty bad...

Most tastes are aquired tastes. As you age, your senses become somewhat dulled. It takes a bit more omph to make an experience interesting to your mouth.

I would not be surprised that a young man did not enjoy vodka, whiskey, or other distilled spirits. As an older man, I can say you'll more likely find interest as you age.

• It is very much an acquired taste. I will drink just about any spirit 'neat' now but someone reacting like this kid the first time doesn't surprise me in the slightest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBpWOFT00AQ

• i drink vodka and honestly yeah it taste like shit. i dont drink nearly as much as i used to but i do enjoy a stiff drink from time to time.

• I like Vodka "Polish" I use to drink a lot of in a few bottles a month, but my father did the same. For me it's family issues my father drank his father drank so on.

I also liked how vodka tasted "so many favors!" It gets easier the first sip is terrible, then after a quarter once you doing shots like its potato chips.

Remember addiction plays a part in what people drink also.

• I just mix the shit out of everything until it isn't even hard liquor anymore.

I don't really drink to get drunk.

• Old guys bored of normal stuff so they try and eventually develop a taste for weird stuff. Same with cigars.

• I like the taste.

Try the more expensive stuff before drawing your conclusions.

• Im not a hard liqour fan

• I like the taste of hard liquor (some kinds anyway) But yeah its mostly for the effects

• I recently discovered maple bourbon. I love the taste. I sip it very slowly.

• Wine is fine but whiskey's quicker (Ozzy Osbourne)

• It's easier to put it in the front of your mouth and then swallow all at once. The people that cough and gag when they drink spirits make the mistake of shoving it all to the back of their mouth before they swallow which makes it taste so much stronger because that's where the bitter taste buds are located.