Do you guys think that being gay is something genetic or is it a choice?

I'm doing something for my biological class and it would be really cool if I'd use some real life opinions as well. So please tell me about your thoughts on this topic. Thanks, xoxo

Most Helpful Girl

• Neither. I think sexuality is fluid just like your favourite colour or favourite food. Some people like the colour purple all their life. Some people think they love purple but then they discover blue and are hooked for life. Some people are born loving purple and later on they realize they love blue more. And maybe down the road they end up loving pink. And some people just love the whole damn rainbow.

What Guys Said 38

• Even though the climate has changed a lot in recent years, gay people have been historically persecuted. Do you really think anyone would "choose" that? Plus, I never needed to decide if I was straight or not, I just am. People can choose to engage in homosexual behavior on a physical level, but the desire to do so I can't imagine would be anything but all-natural.

• I think even still, people are still missing the point on being gay, vs having gay sex. I think it is genetic to be romantically attracted to the same sex, to want a passionate relationship with them and to fall in love with them. I think people can chose to have gay sex or not. Mainstream movies and porn actors can have gay sex for pay even though they are straight. This is a choice. Having gay sex for money, or just physical fun can be a choice. Having a gay loving relationship because that is what you are naturally attracted to is genetic. Two different things.

• Do you control what foods do or don't taste good to you? What smells are or aren't pleasant? What sounds you like versus which sounds make you want to rip your ears off? No. Then why would you control what gender you do or don't like?

• 95% of the time, it's a lifestyle choice, like watching Oprah.

But not so serious, aside from the AIDS propagation probability. Aside from that, watching Oprah is much worse a lifestyle choice.

• I don't think it's genetic or a choice. In twins, only 11% of cases where one twin is homosexual are the other homosexual, if it was genetic they would almost always both be gay. But also I don't think most gay people wake up one day and think "I want to be gay", although some have admitted to doing so, often out of hatred for the opposite sex. I was told by a gay man I know that homosexuality is heavily linked to the relationships with Fathers or lack of. There is other evidence that sexual abuse is also linked: www.facebook.com/.../?l=4430751514404252915

Of course this isn't true in all cases, I have no idea how many are linked. Point is I think it has a lot to do with experiences, upbringing, other factors, but not genetic, and not a conscious choice either.

• Neither. It's almost certainly determined by body chemistry in the womb--like fingerprints, which also are not genetically determined. Just as identical twins have different fingerprints, identical twins can also have different sexual orientations.

• It is not a life style choice unless you choose to ignore, hide from, and play the heterosexual role when you actually are homosexual.

It IS something inborn in you. In your DNA. It isn't a choice, but things that aren't choices, can be covered up, like girls wearing makeup. They are lying

• I don't think it is that simple. Sexuality itself is determined by multiple factors, both prenatal and post natal, genetic and psychological. And while it probably isn't fair to call it a "choice" in the strict sense, it also isn't fair to regard it as the result of birth. Either way, most religions' problem isn't with homosexuality itself but actions of a homosexual nature such as gay sex. In fact, traditional Christian ethics do not recognize orientation but rather define sexuality by actions. Blessed Seraphim Rose was gay but he lived a celibate life as a monastic and is thus now regarded as a literal saint by many in the Russian Orthodox Church.

• Totally not a choice. I assume that gay people can no more choose to be straight than I can choose to be gay. I always say "It wants what it wants". If you don't give it what it wants, there's going to be trouble. Lots of gay men became anti-gay politicians and religious leaders but couldn't suppress their attraction to men. I feel sad for them. It's hard to live a lie, and I'm sorry they felt that they had to do that.

• Many gay people are gay from very young ages. Like as young as I have been attracted to women, so the answer is obvious in my opinion.

• I think it's genetic.

• Nobody chooses their sexuality but I think more than just genetics play a role in it.

• I don't think the question here is if homosexuality is a choice or genetic. The question is actually about preferences, how preferences work and how they are determined. Twins don't always have the same preferences as each other, but they do tend to prefer a lot of the same things as each other. I think if we find out why people like the things they do that we'll come closer to answering why people are gay. Just a hunch.

• Around 1/3 is genetical disposition and 2/3 your upbringing and environment.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18536986

• I'm gay and I never wanted to be gay (at first) and I didn't choose to be. I just couldn't help who I was attracted to. I don't think we really choose any of our preferences. It just sort of happens.

• You don't choose to be gay any more than you choose to be straight. That's my view.

• homosexuality is something you are born with

• I think it's just fun.

• Its a choicw. Many women i know have become lesbians because men treated them bad

• What about those who didn't choose it?
      Those who are afraid to come out and fight it because they know they will be bullied and prosecuted for it?

I don't think they chose it.

• Its not genetic, its just the way some people think.

• the real question is what makes people talk about it so damn much

it's like an ugly person. just leave it alone and wait for it to die on its own.

• I believe its genetically predetermined.

• It is a choice, plain and simple. I'm sure I will be hated, but it is what it is.

• To make a choice is to go with the option that already appeals to you. So even if it was a choice, it wouldn't be

• No fucking clue... And what business is it of mine anyway?

• It's not a choice.

• i would say mainly genetic is what attracts people mostly to their choice of partners when it comes to gender strictly speaking

• It's a lifestyle choice.

• Genetics don't really play a role, I think it's just a mix of personality, the way you were raised, and things you were exposed to.

• It's probably due to a lack of testosterone in the mother's womb.

• More from Guys
    8

What Girls Said 9

• Neither. Its an emotional response to stressful or challenging life situations that are pejorative or negative in nature. With religion - people can build up enough defences mechanisms that they don't need to turn to homosexuality to satisfy their emotional needs.

• I think its a preference!

• Well if you grew up in an environment with two fathers or two mothers it would probably be the norm for you, therefore you'd probably be homosexual yourself. BUT (and please don't judge me, this is the way I was brought up) in my opinion being Gay is a choice you make yourself, not something engraved in your soul from birth

• I don't think it's genetic or a choice I think there are other factors in some stage of development that causes it.

• I think people are born gay. Bisexuals choose, but fully gay is there from the start.

• What makes you think bisexuals choose? You can't help which gender you're attracted to, it just so happens they're attracted to both.

• @BaileyisDarcy I don't think bisexuals are choosing to be bisexual. I think they are able choose which sex they'd prefer given that they're attracted to both sexes. Gay on the other hand has no choice in the matter, they are attracted to the opposite sex. I guess I didn't word it very well.

• No I don't think you did. But I guess I understand what you mean.
      They can comfortably be with either sides of the coin so have more of a choice than a straight or gay person who are attracted to just one side of the coin.

• Possibly but I think most homosexuals are a product of their environment.

• genetic 100% family friend of mine has 2 of 3 children part of the LGBTQ community. people dont choose to be gay. it is how they are wired

• I've always thought of it as a mental disorder. Not as in something that makes you crazy, like your brain being rewired.

Then again I'm not gay so I can't speak for them.

It's trendy now so it looks like a choice due to the people who follow trends.

• Actually I agree with this.
      They struggle to find the origin for autism and other mental disorders, and they're having the same trouble with finding the origin for homosexuality.

I do agree with you.

• Genetic. It's not something you just choose, it's something you're born with.