Can a phD student live with $1000 monthly stipend in USA?

I know it would change wth the city, but try to speak generally. Would around 1000 dollars stipend be enough for a phD student to live in a dorm and survive? Or would he starve to death?

Every expense that he could have, other than tuition, will be paid with the stipend. I was thinking about $300 for a dorm room, and 550-600 would go to food and i'd spend the rest for entertainment. How realistic is my approach?

Most Helpful Girl

• Are housing and utilities already paid for? If $1,000 is for food and entertainment only, it would be ok. But it wouldn't be enough for rent, utilities, food, etc. I've only lived in moderate to major cities, so it's more expensive. There might be a way in the middle of nowhere, where the rent is cheap.

• How much would go for food?

• No problem. You were the only option anyway, but it doesn't change the fact that you provided a great response.

• Oh haha! Well, I'm glad I could help.

Most Helpful Guy

• If the dorm was included, and I presume the school costs were covered, then yes, it should be quite doable. You won't be living large, but you'll have enough for necessities.

• How much would go for food?

• Thanks a lot, let me read it.

• Generally one take out meal will be about $12, so if you insist on eating all meals out, and the school cafeteria is not free, then you'll spend around $30 a day, but you'll have your own drinks at home, and American takeout meals are HUGE, so you could easily get two meals form each take out meal.

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 3

• I don't know about a dorm... But where i live, u could do an apartment and survive, if you were very good at managing money... Im assuming about 600 on rent..

• that could work. you would be broke as shit eating ramen and living in the ghetto part of town but it could work.

• Rent in Boston, for example, is about $2200 per month. New York City is more.

You'd need roommates, a shifty apartment at about $1200 per month in a dangerous area, spend way less on food than you are imagining, and not spend anything on entertainment.

• And dorm rooms aren't available to PhD students. You'll have to get an apartment.