Cancer is a very touchy subject with me and in class tomorrow and I'm not comfortable what should I do?

So tomorrow in my biology class we are going to be talking about cancer and it's a very touchy subject with me because my grandpa died from cancer when I was nine and one of my best friends has cancer and was given three months to live at the beginning of September and she's not doing well at all right now. I don't know what to do I would really rather not talk about it or hear anyone talk about it but I don't want to act like a baby and tell my teacher I don't want to hear anything about it. What should I do?

Most Helpful Guy

• I am sorry for your loss. I respect whatever decision you make, but I think you should go to class and try to participate. Look at this as an opportunity to learn more about it and also maybe share what you experienced to help teach others. Many people are scared because they don't know and have no one to talk to about it. The more we can share and understand the easier it can be to deal with and face.

Most Helpful Girl

• Ask your teacher even if you don't wanna

What Guys Said 2

• Either skip class if it's that big an issue or suck it up and go. The teacher is not going to stop teaching the subject because it makes you uncomfortable.

• Just do it. It's hard I know, I go to colleges and high schools and talk about my Cystic fibrosis all the time for people. There's fear and it sucks when I have to go over all the complications and saying the bad stuff but it raises awareness so that hopefully someday one of these people go and find a cure.

What Girls Said 1

• Just tell the teacher. Or you can ask beforehand what exactly you'll discuss so you can mentally prepare yourself for it a bit better.