When someone is homophobic does that raise up a red flag for you?

It raises up a red flag for me because
1. He/she is an asshole.
2. He/she could be fake (they're denying their homosexuality or bisexuality).
3. He/she could've had a bad experience and don't know how to deal with it right.
4. He/she could be a religious freak.

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Guy

• It tempts me to throw sharp objects at them and get the hell away from them, but no it's not a red flag.

Most Helpful Girl

• yeah i think people need to respect everyone regardless of their race, sexuality, gender, religion, status, etc.
    id wonder why they can't display that basic common courtesy.

What Guys Said 20

• An asshole? So only homophobes are assholes? Fake, just because I don't like the idea of people being gay? Bad exeperience? Religious freak? This gay rights stuff only came to power in the early 2000's. Before that everyone didn't like gay people and such. You would get bullied for being gay. Now everyone should accept LBGT, get outta here. I don't put down people for being gay and such, but I don't like their choices either even if it's so called not their choice for being gay.

• I really don't care what their personal views are as long as they aren't violating that persons rights. We don't all have like or agree with how other people live their lives. If that person does cross the line and want to deny them their rights then I would take issue with that.

Respect is not something that is owed just because we want or expect it. We gain or lose respect in accordance to how closely we stick to the values each individual values. Even now people will either gain or lose respect for me for each word I write.

• Deal breaker

• Meh. Depends what you mean.

I know a lot of people with views I not only disagree with, but many I find actively repugnant. I just avoid dicussing those topics with them.
    Would I date such a person? Not if they are fanatical about it. It would make introducing them to my father and his husband a bit awkward. Lol.

• Partially yes, it could definitely ( with exceptions) indicate the person isn't well-rounded and able to interact with the world around them.

• Nope not really I myself don't like homosexuals what they do or what they stand for and I've never made that a secret. But I don't go out of my way to hurt or make fun of them, as they are people to, so as long as whoever I am with does the same there shouldn't be any problems.

but if she does go out of her way to make life difficult for them then that would be a issue but if she just doesn't like them but overall leaves them be then I have no problem with that.

• Don't know, I don't believe in homophobia.

• Huge red flag. I agree with you're reasons on 1 and 4 and whule two is true for some bigots the majority of them have just been raised to be hateful. Also it tells me that they're very closed minded which is just about the number one thing that makes me stay away from people

• Depends on what kind of homophobe are you talking about. Do you mean those who actually really discriminate against gays/bisexuals or those who simply claim they dont like it?

The first is a red flag, the second not.

• Yes but only because their thought process is typically extremely ignorant which trickles into other aspects of their life.

I don't really care if someone is homophobic in terms of being offended since I'm not a butt-welder nor do I really care about the gay community (in the same way I don't care if someone's gay), but I do care in the sense that they're typically really stupid people and would probably be insufferable to live with/be around with their constant judging and bigotry.

• Each person is entitled to their opinion, at least they are in the US. For example, I'd never want to be involved with a godless, socialist, maggot-infested member of the "Blame America First" crowd.

• Yes it bothers me because it shows they are ignorant and lack sympathy.

• Just kill them. it's not that hard.

• No I'm fine with it

• Psych 101 people who overreact to homosexuals are usually surpassing their own feelings

• Homophobia, is a rational fear, not an irrational one. They just don't like gays, why that a problem?

• The biggest issue I have is not the gay crowd themselves but people being so easily manipulated and brainwashed into thinking that "gay is special". Also seen women be extreme hyprocrites when it comes to this whole "tolerance" issue. They say they are all supportive of the LBTQ crowd but they'll turn around and bash men they don't like with homophobic slurs (whether they are gay or not). I went on a date with girl who vehemently argued that gays made good parents and an hour later told me I had a "phaggot haircut" (I'm straight) when I did absolutely nothing to provoke her. I cussed her out, call her a fat bitch and left. She apologized to me the next day but guys don't pull this 180 shit to whatever pleases their emotional impulse.

• That's like asking if someone if they don't like pedophiles it raises a red flag cause they're assholes and they are pedophobics.

• Personally, I don't think being homosexual is something that is normal, that's what I think. I believe this simply because man on man or women on women just doesn't look right, neither does it feel right in a way. I think it's meant to be between man and women; dick and vagina, you get me? Not dick on dick? I am not going to go up to a person and say they're wrong for being gay/lesbian and I won't judge them either. I respect how people want to live. I would have a girlfriend who is bisexual and I wouldn't care.

• No, it isn't. I don't agree with them. But I'm not about to assume a long list of negative things about them either.

Should I freak out if someone tells me they're Muslim and worry they might be a terrorist?

Don't get so set in your views that you vilify people who don't share them.

What Girls Said 10

• Yes, for two reasons: my sister is a lesbian and my brother is a FTM transgender. If you can't be open minded on love and hate my family for what they are then I will not have anything to do with you.

• Yes of course. I don't want anything to do with someone who doesn't respect others. It's fine if you just don't like homosexuality, but being an asshole about it is a huge deal breaker.

• Not caring for the gay 'lifestyle' is one thing, but being a bigot and poking fun at people is definitely a red flag.
    People have been gay for centuries, and will continue to be for many centuries more. This is not a choice, and people should not be put down for what feels fundamentally right to them.

• "Phobic" by definition means 'afraid of'. If you are afraid of (or filled with hate towards) a person or group of people who have never done you any harm, that's pretty shallow and narrow-minded. But me judging you for feeling that way would do nothing more than bring me down to your level. So... red flags or no red flags, I'd probably hang out with you anyway and maybe broaden your horizons a little. Life is too short for hate, fear, and judging.

• Kind of, yes. I guess it just depends on how they act. If they're against it, that's their personal belief. If they treat homophobic people badly or say mean things about them frequently, then yeah, it would definitely raise a red flag. Homophobia makes people seem closed-minded to me, I suppose.

• It depends on what they are doing to show it. Are they physically or mentally hurting the victim? Smack talking about them behind their back? Or do you just happen to know that they don't tolerant gays? If they do the first two, I will stop them right there and give them a good speech about being a nice person to an innocent person. If it's the third then I won't do anything. It's what they chose to be and so be it.

• A problem yes since I am bi curious

• It raises a pink flag

• If they don't like homosexuality, no. If they use foul language towards homosexuals then maybe.

• Such know it alls